I overfed my tarantula?

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
It's definitely well fed. Although Chromatopelma are terrestrial they are definitely not heavy bodied terrestrials and are generally pretty slender when it comes to their abdomens.

If its in premolt then its abdomen is almost 2x as big as it would be if it wasn't. If it isn't In premolt...then it is the fattest chromatopelma I have ever seen and may cause an issue when it does reach pre-molt if it doesn't shed some weight between now and then.

There isn't much you can do now except stop feeding her.

The setup is completely arboreal and should be changed. They don't need any more height then any other terrestrial and would do great in a long shallow container as long as it has points to web.

That being said, Chromatopelma are extremely nimble for terrestrials and though she probably hasn't taken a fall, she hasn't been this chunky her whole time with you either.

So I'd try to get it done sooner rather then later!

I wouldn't worry too much as long as you get her in a more appropriate set-up and indeed stop feeding her as you said :)

Good luck!

-PJ

Last edited:

VidekSon

Arachnopeon
I can't see well from the image,but just to make sure to get this out of the way,look into impaction,
Hello, thanks for the comment.
Could you please tell me if she has impaction? I did some research but I'm not sure.

If you have time, I would be very thankful.

Have a nice day!

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
Could you please tell me if she has impaction? I did some research but I'm not sure.

Have a nice day!
Hello. As far as i can see from the image,there might be some poop-like stuff around the anus,but im really not sure if its impacted since i havent had experience with that. I wouldn't advise on doing anything until a more experienced keeper comes up and offers advice or its opinion on the question if its impacted. The only weird thing that i noticed that its spinnerets are weirdly farther apart than normal,but it could be due to its abdomen size. Image below for comparison. Sorry i couldn't be of any help.

EDIT: I just noticed that you posted earlier that your tarantula poo'd two months ago. In that case i dont think its impacted because impaction usually happens after a bad molt,where the piece of the old exoskeleton still covers the anus.Someone correct me if im wrong.

1596577181882.png
image by Cassiusstein,found here on arachnoboards

Attachments

Whiplash Girlchild

Arachnopeon
That is a big poo, but honestly nothing too abnormal there.

I would be willing to say it could be an impaction issue??? I would check the spinnerets and all.

Also GBB hate humidity and you could actually be stressing your T out from the humidity.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron

Have a nice day!

From all the threads I have read on here, that definitely looks like impaction or the start of it to me. The pics I have seen on it usually have a white piece sticking out of the anus that acts as a plug and once that gets removed the T usually doesn't last much longer. Good luck and hopefully I am wrong.

Edit : Does there appear to be a bump sticking out around the anus ?

VidekSon

Arachnopeon
Hello,

sad update, my GBB had passed away on 14th of August but I was kinda inactive and couldn't share the update before. She was most likely impacted, but I still don't know the cause of death. Weird thing is that when i found her dead, she wasn't in a death curl, it looked like she had suddenly died, like in a normal tarantula "sitting" position. When I flipped her over, she had like light spots under her abdomen, which meant that she was very overweight, even though i hadn't fed her for more than 5 months if i remember correctly (she wasn't taking the food, i offered her a cricket and a superworm every months or so).

Wish you all the best!

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
sorry to hear, that was months of worry. This all started in July. Her opithsoma was way huge for the species, something was going on.