I noticed my avic on the ground this AM and am concerned..

friesforestgoblin

Arachnopeon
Like the title says ^ I thought my enclosure set up was appropriate.. Ignore the humidity gauge as I don’t rely on it in any way, I just haven’t removed it since I’ve seen them climbing on it and seemed to like it :) I’m wondering if there’s too much substrate in the back right corner, but would hate to cause unnecessary stress trying to remove it? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated, I’m still new to the hobby maybe I worry too much.. the picture I attached is from this Wednesday, and the next is them today. Also the second pic shows them on top of a mirror but that only because I took them off the shelf for the side angle. It’s the medium arboreal tarantula crib for dimensions. The substrate is dry. And their most recent meal was on the 19th..

Thank you again for any guidance!! I hope my baby isn’t dying :((((

Attachments

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
It doesn't appear to be in a death curl, which you see often in T's (avics especially) that are suffering from severe dehydration. It seems more like a stress pose, probably because there isn't much cover for it in the top half of the enclosure. Try adding some fake leaves up near the top and I'll bet it'll feel more secure and won't hang out on the ground much more.

Read through these threads for more good info on setting up enclosures for this species:

You can also spritz the webbing, leaves, and side of the enclosure to give it an opportunity to drink about once a week. Many avics won't use a water dish on the ground.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It’s an enclosure set up issue here are some example of my Aviculariinae set ups with give the majority of the cover in the upper 30%. If they do not have cover the web themselves into they may find other places that appear safe like maybe behind things on the ground in your case.

TJ 68

Arachnopeon
One thing to consider also, Is the tank in Direct sunlight?I noticed my Avic will move to the other side when the light changes in the room

friesforestgoblin

Arachnopeon
I’m seeing these responses super late, but I redid the enclosure yesterday. They found their way to the top of the leaves pretty quickly, so I’m hoping that’s a good sign. I put some old paper on the back to give more darkness behind the hide. Please don’t hesitate to let me know if I need to change it still, thank you all so much!

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I’m seeing these responses super late, but I redid the enclosure yesterday. They found their way to the top of the leaves pretty quickly, so I’m hoping that’s a good sign. I put some old paper on the back to give more darkness behind the hide. Please don’t hesitate to let me know if I need to change it still, thank you all so much!
Looks so much better!! Thanks for taking the suggestions and implementing them! Good job!

friesforestgoblin

Arachnopeon
One thing to consider also, Is the tank in Direct sunlight?I noticed my Avic will move to the other side when the light changes in the room
They weren’t in direct light, but I’ll get thicker curtains to dark the room out some more in the daytime

friesforestgoblin

Arachnopeon
SSTOP worrying about stress!!
Just to clarify, does this mean I need to stop stressing about the T being stressed? If so, yeahhhh, I do tend to be a worry-er.. this hobby is certainly teaching me patience and to not worry about every little thing that I think may be/go wrong

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just to clarify, does this mean I need to stop stressing about the T being stressed? If so, yeahhhh, I do tend to be a worry-er.. this hobby is certainly teaching me patience and to not worry about every little thing that I think may be/go wrong
YES

JDS123

Arachnosquire
awesome job, showed your a caring keeper for certain.

Proud of you.

JDS123

Arachnosquire
SSTOP worrying about stress!!
People in this "hobby" stress crazy, i give em a pass though when still noobs.

However dang man so many experienced keepers think they are stressing their Ts if they ate breakfast for dinner, chiiiiillllll.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
People in this "hobby" stress crazy, i give em a pass though when still noobs.

However dang man so many experienced keepers think they are stressing their Ts if they ate breakfast for dinner, chiiiiillllll.
they do stress too much- that’s why I don’t give them a pass- that pass keep them on the crazy train

friesforestgoblin

Arachnopeon
Possibly molting tonight..? Popped in the room to grab something and noticed them like this. I sat there for a minute or so and saw a little leg movement. Fingers crossed, reckon I’ll see in the AM :smirk:

Attachments

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Possibly molting tonight..? Popped in the room to grab something and noticed them like this. I sat there for a minute or so and saw a little leg movement. Fingers crossed, reckon I’ll see in the AM :smirk:
I hope so, although that's not what I'd expect a molting T to look like. Hopefully it's molted and back upright in the morning.

friesforestgoblin

Arachnopeon
I hope so, although that's not what I'd expect a molting T to look like. Hopefully it's molted and back upright in the morning.
It def doesn’t look like the molting vids I’ve seen online :confused: Fingers *and toes crossed for tomorrow