I Never Thought I Would Be SO Nervous

Maggie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The T I have had the longest, a large female Curly has started molting. LOL, i experienced the slings molting without batting an eyelash and everything turned out okay. She is very dark, which i believe is normal? Also she appears to have lost movement. Duh, i know. But this is my first adult to molt and i am more tense than i thought i would be. She means a lot to me and i guess i am just hoping i am interpeting this right. No camera, so no pics.:(
At the risk of asking a question that probably has been re-hashed a million times, from what i described, does this sound normal? Gods, i AM a major worry wort. Amanda is hovering around the computer asking me if Charlotte is going to be okay. I have no more answers than she does.:?

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
has she turned over yet? It can take some time once they turn over to actually 'get started'. Some of my large ones have literally taken hours once turned over.
By 'very dark' do you mean her abdomen?

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm waiting for about the same answers as Sin.
But I Am keeping all my crossables crossed for you and her.
)

Beth-Tex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When my adult Ts molted recently.........they both (B.smithi & E.campestratus) were on their backs for several hours. One of them was on her back for over 4 hours & I was worried as well. All came out ok & she was ready to eat again after a week. From all my T experiences, (both now & in the past) I have found that the adult Ts take quite a while. I understand the worry part, though. I worry every time.

Maggie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes, her abdomen is extremely dark. What throws me is she is kind of on her side instead of her back. And she did eat well yesterday. Shes a fat spider, never refuses a meal!
I wasnt sure exactly how long it could take with an adult because the slings go through it so quickly, IME. Its going to be a long night i think.:(
Nixy, the crossings are appreciated! We will all be doing the same here. I know one little girl that will be hard to get to bed tonight.
Thanks everyone for the replies. Gods. I can be such a baby when it comes to something i care about.:8o

Beth-Tex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nope......NOT a baby at all. Perfectly normal to feel concerned about anything we (you) care about.
When a T molts, it is a trying time for the T & the T slave. It is a renewing process & a very delicate & dangerous time for the T.
Shoot, I am even concerned when my slings molt.......it's just that they do it so fast, there is not too much time to worry. :}

I must say, however, that I have never had a spider that ate the day before it molted........not even my slings...........maybe some others can shed more light on this for you. :)

Maggie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A FEW of my slings ate the day before a molt, lol, the curlies.
She is on her back and is totally still. Is that the way it is supposed to be? I hope she makes it.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
she should be fine....as long as she is not right side up...sometimes that is a problem. She should do okay on her side though.
It may be a long night for you, you're right!
Be sure and update us!

Maggie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So far so good. Keeping a worried child away from the enclosure is another matter.:rolleyes:
I have her set up where i can keep an eye on her tonight.
Amanda said "Mom, is it kind of like when i have a pair of too tight pants on?" I cant argue, lol, it sounds valid.=D
What was the longest anyone can remember their T molting?
Will definitely give an update in the morning, maybe very EARLY morning, depending.

Maggie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Welllll, that certainly did not take as long as i thought!
The good news is the old is OFF.:D
She looks okay, any advice on things to watch for after a molt? I am assuming its similar to the slings, only having to harden longer? Thanks everybody!

Beth-Tex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Most recently, on the 8th, one of my E.campestratus molted, (she is an older gal) & I left her be to harden for a week & then on this past Saturday, I put in a few crickets & waited, (ready to take them out if need be)...........but..........she bolted after them like a Mac Truck =D ........... so I gave her 5 all total & she wolfed down every last one of them.:D

Am very glad for you & the T that all turned out fine.:)

And.........yes......I do know about Curlys........I have a juvenile female B.albopilosum & she is an eating machine. She had molted prior to my getting her so I have not yet experienced a molt with her.............maybe she too will eat, up until her molt.:}

Maggie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
LOL, it wouldnt surprise ME anymore. The rest of my slings got finicky. But as stated the B. albopilosums were a different story.:)
My daughter ran in at 5 am this morning to check if our girl was alright! :rolleyes:
The old molt is going to school with her today.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
congrats on a sucessful molt :)
Just let her harden for a week or two before offering prey...
aren't they beautiful....like a brand new spider!