I NEED URGENT HELP with A heteroscodra maculata

Argus420

Arachnopeon
I got my first T about two weeks ago..
My birthday is tommorow soo my buddy decided to buy me a T
"Togo starburst baboon"
And I'm scared/interested/worried
Scared cus it's an old world / interested cus well it's a T
And worried that I can't take proper care of it...

It is still a very small sling tho

PLEASE HELP

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Search on here how to care for it. Use search bar. If you can’t find specifics, then come back with questions. Because right now, I have no idea about the T or it’s setup based off the info provided.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
you are saying you and brand new and was gifted a Heteroscodra maculata?? These are among the fastest and most potent venom tarantulas out there with Stromatopelma calceatum. Bad friend these can send a grown man to the hospital with a wet bite and as a newbie you should not be attempting to keep them at this time. See if you can give it back to him. These are far outside your experience level to be perfectly blunt and direct.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Yeah i have to agree, it's a beautiful T, it's seriously not something you want to be learning on the job with. It needs to be with an experienced keeper and you won't have success looking after a T you are frightened of ; it might put you out of the hobby permanently

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I got my first T about two weeks ago..
My birthday is tommorow soo my buddy decided to buy me a T
"Togo starburst baboon"
And I'm scared/interested/worried
Scared cus it's an old world / interested cus well it's a T
And worried that I can't take proper care of it...

It is still a very small sling tho

PLEASE HELP
This is a horrible first T. I’ve owned them.

Learn with a different species, return this one.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Ya...well,keepers with decades of T husbandry decline to keep these.Myself included.
I keep many OW,s......pokies/other baboons.
I stay away from H.macs for a reason.
Being worried and nervous leads to mistakes,and H.Mac mistakes are really bad.

emartinm28

Arachnoknight
Don’t do it, slings of this species have very narrow husbandry requirements, even experienced keepers lose them from time to time. Very fast, faster than almost any T. Can be quite defensive, and worse they are so nervous that they will bolt erratically and will readily run right out of their enclosure. If you provoke this T there is a good chance that it will bite, and if it does you will probably go to the hospital for the pain. All in all, this T will not even be enjoyable for you to keep, you’ll be afraid of it and stressed out feeding and doing maintenance, let alone rehousing. This species will still be around in a few years when you’re ready for it.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Return it. This is not a species you want to mess with. Give it away if you can't return it. And whack your buddy on the head for springing this on you. ;)

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Return it. This is not a species you want to mess with. Give it away if you can't return it. And whack your buddy on the head for springing this on you. ;)
Yeah.....this is a TERRIBLE species to surprise somebody with especially if they have no experience with tarantulas! They're one of the most venomous tarantulas out there. And on top that they're lightning fast.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Why do I get the feeling this is a :troll: post?
Maybe....but I I have been wrong about that before,as have others.Maybe this is a question and need to know.
Regardless.it’s relavent.If a newer enthusiast sees this searching for H.macs,maybe they see this and have second thoughts.
It’s nothing from my day,or others to post.

SquidStina

Arachnopeon
"I heard you wanted a pet cat, so I got you a baby tiger!"

So IMO I think you should try to put that T back wherever it came from, and get a slightly less difficult T. Starting out with something speedy and fairly venomous would be more nervewracking then pleasant and fun. Very pretty T, but sucks that your friend thought that species was a good idea and put you in that position. Pets shouldn't be gifts.

ApexApinkPanda

Arachnosquire
Fear is caused by a lack of knowledge so start learning. This isn't a T I would personally ever own but if I was given one like in your case I wouldn't freak out, I'd start learning. There is video's of people rehousing, feeding, and general husbandry on this specific T. Start watching. If after obtaining knowledge, you don't feel comfortable. Find it a new home. You do, however, have the opportunity to grow as a keeper with this T since it's a sling so it's not like your being asked to care for a full grown adult.

Lastly, buy your self a T shirt, there's lots of cheap options out there and make sure it's not made of a fish net. Hard to take you seriously when you look like you think the Arachnoboards is a place to find a hook up... unless beastiality with an emphasis in Tarantulas is your thing... still the wrong place though.

Search on here how to care for it. Use search bar. If you can’t find specifics, then come back with questions. Because right now, I have no idea about the T or it’s setup based off the info provided.
Yes

Pets shouldn't be gifts.
I couldn't agree with this more. Especially when it's fast and venomous.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
With friends like that who needs enemies. Even if it’s a small sling I still wouldn’t want to take my chances.

I have a number of T’s with a few being ow. One in particular is arboreal and after about a year of having it I still get anxious dealing with it. With nervous energy it makes things 100 times more challenging. Yesterday I was watering this particular T like I always do and before I knew it the T teleported to the opening which was facing me instead of its normal retreat. Was NOT fun times.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Fear is caused by a lack of knowledge so start learning. This isn't a T I would personally ever own but if I was given one like in your case I wouldn't freak out, I'd start learning. There is video's of people rehousing, feeding, and general husbandry on this specific T. Start watching. If after obtaining knowledge, you don't feel comfortable. Find it a new home. You do, however, have the opportunity to grow as a keeper with this T since it's a sling so it's not like your being asked to care for a full grown adult.

Lastly, buy your self a T shirt, there's lots of cheap options out there and make sure it's not made of a fish net. Hard to take you seriously when you look like you think the Arachnoboards is a place to find a hook up... unless beastiality with an emphasis in Tarantulas is your thing... still the wrong place though.

Yes

I couldn't agree with this more. Especially when it's fast and venomous.
Thought the same thing about the avatar hah

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Lastly, buy your self a T shirt, there's lots of cheap options out there and make sure it's not made of a fish net. Hard to take you seriously when you look like you think the Arachnoboards is a place to find a hook up... unless beastiality with an emphasis in Tarantulas is your thing... still the wrong place though
Thought the same thing about the avatar hah
It had me puzzled as well. :bucktooth:

ApexApinkPanda

Arachnosquire
I have a bad habit of saying what everyone is thinking... on purpose. I atleast try and be nice about it.

hiimtye

Arachnopeon
I have two H Mac juveniles. One of them is about 2 inches, who I was rehousing inside a big blue tub, left the transfer cup, the tub, and went under the table and then I tried to get it in the catch cup inside the tub. I have 8 Ts, 6 of them OWs and I was even surprised at how fast my H Mac's are. I would definitely recommend any other species before an H Mac for a first T

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince

Read this, good luck:troll: