I need to get another spider...soon!

Faunya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ack, I think I may have married an INSANE person! For some reason, my husband just can't resist the urge to try to handle my H. Lividium, who has definitely presented herself to be a true and blue nasty gal.

It's actually kinda funny, since the hubby didn't have any interest in Ts whatsoever until about a week ago (when I got my little cobalt lady). Now, I think I'm going to have to pick him up something he can handle so he leaves my Cobalt alone.

You'd think that the idea of potentially getting bitten repeatedly, along with the possibility of some negative affects from venom would be enough to change his mind, but NO...he says he doesn't mind getting nipped as long as he gets to hold her. WEIRDO!

Sorry...rambling..ranting...whatever. Apparently, I need another spider. I'd RATHER personally own something pretty like a G. Pulchra or a B. Smithi, but I'm thinking I need something large enough to be handled NOW. Should I fork out the money for something I really like, or should I make a quick trip to Petco for a G. Rosea?

Thanks,
-Faunya

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What about an A. Avicularia? They're pretty and docile at the same time.

Faunya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is going to sound silly, but...

I thought about getting an avic, but I'm just not happy with my housing options for an arboreal species. I don't like the idea of putting a spider in a kritter keeper turned on its side, or sticking it in the same type of jar I keep my sugar in...I'm just picky, I realize, but I want my collection to be something nice to look at, and until I can figure out how to display one properly, arboreals aren't an option.

BTW, I'm working on an arboreal cage design, but it's going to take awhile before I have the time to impliment it.

-Faunya

anthony2561

Banned
Old Timer
I think that u should get a rose for u, and tell ur husband 2 hold the rose hair so he will leave the cobalt alone 2 u. Just get a rosie(There not that expencive like 12.00$) keep it as a pet mostly for him but at the same time u expand ur collection.

P.S.

I dont think that T's should be handled, only is u haft 2 in my mind=D

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Faunya,
your hubby is indeed nuts :D
I won't even handle mine (yet anyway LOL)
A great arboreal setup is a 10 gallon aquarium turned on it's side, with a plexglass hinged lid.
Mine looks really nice, except for the spider poop on the sides of the aquarium ;)

Lantang

Arachnopeon
hi Faunya,
for aboreals I use a 2 gal clear* water jug, turned on side, and I unscrew the water faucet, and cover it with a hard plastic.
Its easy to drill through, and humidity is easily accomplished.
There pretty long when on end, equivalent to a 5 1/2 gal tank turned on side, without the added weight.
You can find these at Super Target for about $5 or $6 bucks
(cheap!!, since everything is going up in price lately),
wish I had a digicam(soon), or I would post a pic.

Faunya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for all the great info, guys...It's muchly appreciated.
-Faunya

Faunya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:mad: Well, the A. Avic idea was shot down...the hubby doesn't go for the "fuzzy" types...

-Faunya

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:( but they are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute!! And little :)

Originally posted by Faunya
:mad: Well, the A. Avic idea was shot down...the hubby doesn't go for the "fuzzy" types...

-Faunya

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't think he has much choice unless he gets lucky with a pokie or something :p

Faunya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's been decided...

I found a nice little B. Smithi for a good price, and that's what he's decided on.

To boot, I'll be getting

4 emp scorps
2 starburst baboons
an extra B. Smithi
an extra Cobalt blue
a Rio Grande Gold
(but I'll only be BABYSITTING these guys until mum comes down to get them from me).

-Faunya

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm assuming Starburst = Usambara. They're fun to hold :p

We went on a "Hold what we can" day once and it went straight for the other guy's arm pit. (For some reason, it was a really docile one compared to his/her brother/sister. So I bought the brother/sister.)

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool! :) Your mum keeps T's too? Very cool indeed! :)

My mom's convinced that each and everyone of my bugs are deadly. LOL! Moms today, huh? That's neat that you can enjoy the hobby with her.

Atrax

Faunya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Atrax,

Actually, (gulp), she owns a pet store in a nice, quiet small town...(Not for money though...she just likes pets too much...like me!)

Unlike a lot of pet stores, mom's store focuses on quality care for all of the animals...which means knowing what their requirements are...so you can rest assured that these guys will be going to a good home.

On a side note, yeah, I think she may be getting into the hobby a bit. Only with the docile ones for herself, though...

-Faunya

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Faunya
Atrax,

Actually, (gulp), she owns a pet store in a nice, quiet small town...(Not for money though...she just likes pets too much...like me!)

Unlike a lot of pet stores, mom's store focuses on quality care for all of the animals...which means knowing what their requirements are...so you can rest assured that these guys will be going to a good home.

On a side note, yeah, I think she may be getting into the hobby a bit. Only with the docile ones for herself, though...

-Faunya
Well, huge props to your mom and you! :) That's very commendable (not to mention very rare) for the pet shop owner to give such good care to the animals. It's nice to hear. :)

Atrax