I need some prayers for my poor Aphonopelma texense

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I received my order from E-Spiderworld.com today. But the bad news is that my Cyclosternum Fasciatum didn't make it. I think it had less to do with freezing to death and more to do with the fact that whoever delivered it was not very gentle with the package even though it was labeled fragile. I surmise that it had rough treatment as part of the delivery process because her poor opistosoma is nearly separated from her carapace. So she's a lost cause. :( But I have been getting some encourage signs from my Aphonopelma texense. She's in a death curl but when I gently touch her she seems to be able to move her legs in a limited way. She also tried to nip at me too. I currently have her in a deli cup with a wet papoer towel. I have placed it inside a bowl of very hot water to raise the temperature in the dish. I have set the dish near my heater for added warmth. I have been promised replacements for my T's, but I'm hoping only the Cyclosternum fasciatum will need to be replaced. I'm begging all of you to pray that my Texas Brown makes it. If she does I'm going to call her Lucky.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I had a car crash last week, and my C fimbriatus was on board.
He was seriously shaken up and very cold by the time I got him home. He was just creeping into a death curl as we unpacked the box :(

I soaked his substrate and gave him a water dish, and placed his tank right next to my heat mat.
The humidity skyrocketed, and by the morning he was up and at 'em as normal - he even found the energy overnight to web his container up again :)

Hope your Apho pulls through :)

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just to clarify, Delivery person have a ranked inability to ring my doorbell. So imagine my shock when I found a tag from Fed Ex on my door saying that they missed me even though I was there. At the time I was sleeping in my bedroom where I can't hear a blasted thing if they knock on my door. But my Doorbell is loud enough that I can hear it. But for some odd reason no Delivery person has ever rung it even though it stares them in the face. So I received my order around noonish. That and when I received the package, the Delivery persopn roughly thrust the package at me. I can just imagine what they were doing to it while in transit.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lopez
I had a car crash last week, and my C fimbriatus was on board.
He was seriously shaken up and very cold by the time I got him home. He was just creeping into a death curl as we unpacked the box :(

I soaked his substrate and gave him a water dish, and placed his tank right next to my heat mat.
The humidity skyrocketed, and by the morning he was up and at 'em as normal - he even found the energy overnight to web his container up again :)

Hope your Apho pulls through :)
Thank you for the encouragements. I've been checking on her alot and she can move her legs to a limited degree. But she's in a partial Death Curl now as compared to a full one like I found her in when I opened up the deli cup.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
She's in my prayers. But it's great that she' s only in a partial death curl now... maybe she's warming up. I'm sure she'll be o.k., just keep her warm and moist. And keep US posted!
:D Good Luck!:D

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I will be sure to keep you all posted on her progress. I can't remember who it was that had his T's freeze all day, but he was able to resusitate at least one of them, so I'm hopeful about my Texense. If whoever it was that did this reads this thread, please give me a few pointers! I want my Texense to make it.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aaaaaaw. :(
(huggles)
I'll keep all my crossables crossed.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thank you so much Nixy. I'm keeping my own fingers crossed here. A few of her appendages are still curled up but she seems to be responsive at least. I'm hoping that's a good sign.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
UPDATE:

I've been checking on my A. texense for 4 hours straight now. She seems to be improving radically. She's now able to move on her own, albeit very slow and lethargically but that's a ranked improvement from when I got her. I'm going to keep her in the ICU at least for 24 hours. Hopefully by this time tomorrow she'll be alright. I'm just going to pray that she doesn't take a turn for the worst.

Last edited:

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
:D NIXY:D

Let's do the happy dance for Zilla's T!!

That sounds like good news, seems to me if she was going to die, she would SLOW down instead of perking up!!!

YAY

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Kind of OT, But i wonder if theres some kind of legal recourse you would have with the courier company. I mean, if you ship something Live animal freight, Arent they obligated to treat the box like an animal? And in not doing so, committing a form of animal abuse?

With a line like "her poor opistosoma is nearly separated from her carapace" Just kinda makes me angry, That poor little T. had no way to defend herself, and thats why animals are shipped Live freight, Right? To keep them protected during shipping? Grrr.. :mad:

Blah..

Im sorry to hear about your loss, But im glad to hear your A. texense seems to be doing better.. im sure shes in the best possible hands ;)

-Jason

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by lam
Is the opistosoma the abdomen? If so, any chance of recovery at all?
There's no chance of recovery for the Cyclosternum fasciatum. She's in a full Death Curl and no amount of gently touching her legs has resulted in any involuntary movement of them, unlike my Aphonopelma Texense. She's now able to support herself on her legs somewhat, but she has a massive rump which probably means she might molt soon. I just hope this traumatic experience won't cause her to have a bad molt.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mendnwngs
Kind of OT, But i wonder if theres some kind of legal recourse you would have with the courier company. I mean, if you ship something Live animal freight, Arent they obligated to treat the box like an animal? And in not doing so, committing a form of animal abuse?

With a line like "her poor opistosoma is nearly separated from her carapace" Just kinda makes me angry, That poor little T. had no way to defend herself, and thats why animals are shipped Live freight, Right? To keep them protected during shipping? Grrr.. :mad:

Blah..

Im sorry to hear about your loss, But im glad to hear your A. texense seems to be doing better.. im sure shes in the best possible hands ;)

-Jason
I've been feverishly tending to the poor girl ever since I got her. I'm going to wait at least until tomorrow to attempt to put her in an enclosure. But she seems to be perking up quite a bit now that I've put some warmth and humidity on her. It just makes me angry that Fed Ex couldn't just ring my doorbell. I think I might just call them tomorrow and complain about what had happened. I paid $95 for that Tigerrump. It just crushes me that she didn't make it. But John Hoke is a good person. He's offered to replace my Tarantulas, covering the shipping costs as well.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Update:

Keep all your appendages crossed here. I've just put Lucky into her enclosure. She seems to be doing alright. When I went to scoop her out of the Deli Cup she almost launched herself forward with a burst of speed I wasn't expecting. But I obviously did not let the poor thing fall. She's now propped herself up in the corner of her Pet Pal. I've given her some water. Here's hoping Lucky has a little bit more luck and she's wandering around by tomorrow.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here's what you've all probably been waiting for. This is a pic of Lucky in her enclosure. She seems to be doing fine. But I'm still on alert for 24 hours just in case.

Attachments

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She looks responsive an ok

The pic is a little fuzzy but I can see that she is up and about and waving her palps around so it looks to me that she is going to make it...and she looks like a beautiful spider as well.You did well in bringing her back from the brink of death.You should be proud.I wish you the best of luck in this hobby...it is a great little hobby with lots of cool people in it!!!!

The Spider Hunter=D

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Whoooo-hooooo! She looks pretty good. You get the spider mom of the day award!! I'm so happy she's doing better... couldn't wait to get online today and find out.

YAY!

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by MizM
Whoooo-hooooo! She looks pretty good. You get the spider mom of the day award!! I'm so happy she's doing better... couldn't wait to get online today and find out.

YAY!
She's doing great today. She's moving on her own, although she has a big butt she has to drag with her. Rapunzel would be envious of this spider. I'll try to get a pic that's not too fuzzy. The problem with these digital cameras that have those LCD screens on them is that it looks good on the LCD but crappy once I download it onto my PC.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here's a much better pic of my little miracle. She really does have a Rapunzel worthy butt doesn't she?

Attachments