I Need some Information on My Chilean Rose Hair

arachnidgirl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know if I can get one of thse is Canada...
I was only told that I can get a Zebra T. A Pink Toe and A Rosie in Ontario...
I'm looking around at the pet stores and Little Rays Reptile House...

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know if I can get one of thse is Canada...
I was only told that I can get a Zebra T. A Pink Toe and A Rosie in Ontario...
I'm looking around at the pet stores and Little Rays Reptile House...
That's a bummer - sorry to hear he didn't make it. Even if you are limited in what species you are allowed to have in Ontario, maybe you should consider getting one from someone on the boards. You could even get a sling or two to raise. Its so much fun to watch them grow and they might be a little healthier than the wild caughts that are usually sold in pet stores - especially those particular species. i only have an adult G. rosea but i have a few each of Zebra and Pink Toes and they grow like weeds!!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sorry for your loss A_girl. I know a bunch of us were crossing our fingers for your lil guy. Although i'm not in Canada i know there are some online invert dealers up there. Also there are probably some breeders on this board from your neck of the woods.

Here's a couple of links to dealers that ship to Canada. I haven't really checked them out but i suspect there are reviews here on AB for both sites.

http://www.tarantulacanada.ca/

http://www.averyexotics.com/

If you can though, ordering from an individual breeder here on AB is a great way to go. It requires a little more communication than an online store but you'll get a healthy T and probably spend less than any other option.

arachnidgirl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks everyone, But I went out and got a Rosie spiderling today. It is no bigger then a quatre. Its sooo cute.
Although I will miss Goliath, I will have some fun with my new ling.
I got him from a reptile zoo that reassured me that they were all captive breed.
I have to come up with a name for it that can be used for a boy or girl.

The person who sold me the ling told me that I did not have a high enough humidity when goliath went to molt. So I plan on moistening he tank on one side everyday and hopefully that should do the trick.
If anyone has any other suggestions on caring fr my spiderling, that would be appreciated as it is my first spiderling.

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thats awesome, Im glad you didnt give up! Just watch out for mold, they need good ventillation, but not holes so big your little sling can get out.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The person who sold me the ling told me that I did not have a high enough humidity when goliath went to molt. So I plan on moistening he tank on one side everyday and hopefully that should do the trick
The person was wrong, and don't do this. G. rosea HATES a wet environment, absolutely freaks out if they're wet or in a cloud of humidity, and they come from the middle of like the driest desert in the world. As long as they have access to a bottlecap or water dish or whatever, they're fine. In the case of spiderlings drinking from wet dirt, I would not moisten the substrate more than twice a week.

Also, like the other person said, wetting things down every day is going to get you a colossal mold outbreak.

arachnidgirl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well he did not tell me to soak the substrate, just moisten it a bit. Just nough that there is a bit of humidity. Right now I have him in a tupperware container with some moist "bed a beast". The person told me to mist one side of the tank, not soak it. My room is pretty dry so I think the moisture wil not last long anyways. I has to keep filling up Goliath's water dish in the evenings. Thats how dry my room is.

julesee

Arachnopeon
sorry for your loss.
I have a baby rosie who has molted once so far. It took her only a half hour to molt. Just keep her home moist after it molts. Good luck with your new one!

Tuishimi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Congrats on your new spider! I have a baby (well, probably a juvie technically) Chilean rose too. He's fast and jumpy. I swear he is part jumping spider. :lol: I tried handling him today. I'd push him along onto my hand, but the moment I tried (slowly) to lift him up he'd make a mad dash for the side of my hand and leap off. Crazy nut. I tried a couple of times then thought it might be best to leave him/her be. Don't want to stress him out too much. :(

arachnidgirl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congrats on your new spider! I have a baby (well, probably a juvie technically) Chilean rose too. He's fast and jumpy. I swear he is part jumping spider. :lol: I tried handling him today. I'd push him along onto my hand, but the moment I tried (slowly) to lift him up he'd make a mad dash for the side of my hand and leap off. Crazy nut. I tried a couple of times then thought it might be best to leave him/her be. Don't want to stress him out too much. :(
Thanks, Its my first spiderling so I'm a little nervous:eek:. I just watched it at today and that was amazing{D :clap: :clap: ! The person that sold me the ling told me that I should not try handling mine until he is about 6 months old:p . It is the size of a quarter and is sooo cute.