I need some camel spider help.

sandijade

Arachnopeon
I have a camel spider that I am very attached to, that hasn't eaten or come out of the ground for two days. What is it doing? I'm trying really hard to take the best care and it is so hard to find infromation, I am so happy I found this group, thank you for having me!

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
You have had for 2 days? Are you keeping it in the proper enclosure/temps/humidity/light cycle. Are you familiar with it's molting cycles and feeding behavior?

Conor10

Arachnoknight
Where did you get it? Either it has passed away or it is just up for a molt, these are in my opinion impossible to keep alive. If the animal passes away, DO NOT catch or order another one. They should be left in the wild as we cannot keep them alive without having crazy big setups. Keeping a little one properly means giving it a enclosure the size of a bedroom, they are best left in the wild. I have kept 3 and the most one made it was 3 weeks, through extensive care and feeding, then burrowed and died. Sorry about this, they are incredible creatures that are different from other invertebrates but they should be left alone to live their short lives in the wild. If you see them for sale, no matter how tempting it is DO NOT buy the poor thing this tempting it is, this will just encourage the seller to get more of these. They should stay in the wild, this is coming from a guy who catches and keeps all kind of Inverts and they are kept in caprivity like I said who knows how many times before, DO NOT get another one. Just try your best and if it sadly passes keep in mind this is not your fault, they are super hard to keep then again, some people say they keep them alive for months.

sandijade

Arachnopeon
I believe so, it is very hard to find accurate information. his tank in the 90s during the day and then room temp at night. When I brought him home he was walking around and then he started digging a burrow but I don't think he has come out. I put a cricket in to see if he was coming out at night and he just seems to like being underground.

sandijade

Arachnopeon
Where did you get it? Either it has passed away or it is just up for a molt, these are in my opinion impossible to keep alive. If the animal passes away, DO NOT catch or order another one. They should be left in the wild as we cannot keep them alive without having crazy big setups. Keeping a little one properly means giving it a enclosure the size of a bedroom, they are best left in the wild. I have kept 3 and the most one made it was 3 weeks, through extensive care and feeding, then burrowed and died. Sorry about this, they are incredible creatures that are different from other invertebrates but they should be left alone to live their short lives in the wild. If you see them for sale, no matter how tempting it is DO NOT buy the poor thing this tempting it is, this will just encourage the seller to get more of these. They should stay in the wild, this is coming from a guy who catches and keeps all kind of Inverts and they are kept in caprivity like I said who knows how many times before, DO NOT get another one. Just try your best and if it sadly passes keep in mind this is not your fault, they are super hard to keep then again, some people say they keep them alive for months.
I was given a collection of tarantulas and the camel spider came too. I will do anything to help it :( if it needs a gigantic enclosure i'll make it work

sandijade

Arachnopeon
You have had for 2 days? Are you keeping it in the proper enclosure/temps/humidity/light cycle. Are you familiar with it's molting cycles and feeding behavior?
To the best of my knowledge, everything is so contradictory or silly about them online

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
To the best of my knowledge, everything is so contradictory or silly about them online
If you can grab a good lit photo when it is out and about during it's normal times I'm pretty sure we can identify it and help you.

Conor10

Arachnoknight
It would be hard, but if you have lots of glass, silicone, and sand, with some tumble weeds you might be able to pull it off. They can’t climb smooth surfaces. So you don’t need a lid. I would try If I had the resources and space, I don’t. Don’t listen to info online like YouTube or wikihow. You may need some heat lamps, I’m not sure on that, leave him alone until he resurfaces then build the enclosure if you can. Also, how big is he?

sandijade

Arachnopeon
If you can grab a good lit photo when it out and about during it's normal times I'm pretty sure we can identify it and help you.
If you can grab a good lit photo when it is out and about during it's normal times I'm pretty sure we can identify it and help you.
this is Yoyo

Attachments

Conor10

Arachnoknight
He looks healthy, but that enclosure is like Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too small. You will need something approx 5ft x 5ft minimum to keep him happy. Also, that is a Egyptian windscorpion, same thing as a camel spider

sandijade

Arachnopeon
If you can grab a good lit photo when it out and about during it's normal times I'm pretty sure we can identify it and help you.
this is Yoyo
It would be hard, but if you have lots of glass, silicone, and sand, with some tumble weeds you might be able to pull it off. They can’t climb smooth surfaces. So you don’t need a lid. I would try If I had the resources and space, I don’t. Don’t listen to info online like YouTube or wikihow. You may need some heat lamps, I’m not sure on that, leave him alone until he resurfaces then build the enclosure if you can. Also, how big is he?

Attachments

sandijade

Arachnopeon
He looks healthy, but that enclosure is like Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too small. You will need something approx 5ft x 5ft minimum to keep him happy.
this was just the box he came home in he will be moved this week

sandijade

Arachnopeon
Would a sandbox with some sort of lid work? I feel like the size would be right

Conor10

Arachnoknight
You would also need to get some natural hides and a big tumbleweed preferably

Conor10

Arachnoknight
But still try to keep it from trying to run up the sides, it will run so much trying to escape that it will die from exhaustion. So give it lots of sub for burrowing and good places to hide. Let it hunt every night and make sure the food doesn’t go to it’s mouth, but it HUNTS. It is important for them it hunt themselve.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Also try calling it a Sun Spider or a Wind Scorpion. Camel Spider is the boogeyman bug for the military from like 2002.