I need help. My N. Tripepii has been standing tiptoe, curling (not death curl) and moves slow for a week now since i got it. What should i do?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Without more details it's going to be difficult to provide any advice.

Visually, the tarantula appears healthy but in what we typically call the "stress curl"

Angel0402

Arachnopeon
When i open the lid it kicks hair is that a sign of stress?
Without more details it's going to be difficult to provide any advice.

Visually, the tarantula appears healthy but in what we typically call the "stress curl"

jay444

Arachnosquire
When i open the lid it kicks hair is that a sign of stress?
Yes it is. Does she have a hide? How deep is the substrate? Also, from here the substrate under the water dish looks too wet to me, almost swampy. It also look like plantation soil, is it? This type of soil is dangerous for tarantulas since fertilizer is added to the mix. Can you provide better pics/more details so we can help you better?

Angel0402

Arachnopeon
Yes it is. Does she have a hide? How deep is the substrate? Also, from here the substrate under the water dish looks too wet to me, almost swampy. It also look like plantation soil, is it? This type of soil is dangerous for tarantulas since fertilizer is added to the mix. Can you provide better pics/more details so we can help you better?
I didnt provide a hide, and the substrate is not deep and i used cocopeat on it. I just filled the water dish after i took a photo i miss some on the substrate thats why it is swampy. The previous owner also didnt put a hide thats why i didnt put any. What to do?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
All of them need a hide and this species does use them. Give them deep enough substrate to do a bit of burrowing and they need somewhere to hide. It is ridiculous to not provide them somewhere to hide - people need to do more research on these animals and their basic nature and behaviours.

jay444

Arachnosquire
Your tarantula need a place where she can retreat and feel secure. I would place a hide and provide at least 4 inches of substrate since N. Tripepii are opportunistic burrowers. Substrate type is fine. Also stop the misting and replace it with overflowing the water dish once in a while. You sould also note that N. Tripepii are photosensitive. If you open the lid, shine a light and mist the enclosure and your tarantula has nowhere to go, of course she will be stressed out.