I need help in how to keep a jumping spider

Sei sei

Arachnopeon
20210303_173917.jpg

20210303_164857.jpg

Since some months ago I have been wanting to have a Jumping spider and I search some information to do all things good since I've never had a spider as a pet before, but I'm still a little unsure with how to keep it, and recently I have caught a jumping spider (7h ago or soemthing like that). :spider:

He or she is a baby, or I think it is. I did a improvise house for my spider, I'm going to buy a rectangular enclosure and change he/she to that habitat when I have it. I also put a little cotton with water in his place and some leaves so it can climb. But I'm not sure how to get fruit flies and other small insects for my spider. I'm sure people here have more experience than me with arachnids so I was wondering some advices.

Also idk how to know if it's male or female, that's why it dosent have a name yet. Plus idk what type of Salticidae is, if someone could help me with it i would be grateful, ty (There is some pics of the spider)

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
I'm not sure about a lot of your questions but I know for food you can buy fruit flies and/or pinhead crickets at most pet stores and some retailers online.

Sei sei

Arachnopeon
I'm not sure about a lot of your questions but I know for food you can buy fruit flies and/or pinhead crickets at most pet stores and some retailers online.
Well I'm unsure how to keep it in general, like the enclosure, it needs to be in a certain way?, it's better putting a cotton with water or spraying? How much do I have to feed him or how do i know if he's full? Does he need sunlight or is it dangerous for the spider? And all of those questions
Ty for telling me where to buy food tho! I was very worried of where to get it I'll start searching more rn
I'm really new with all of this and I really dont want to hurt my spider

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Hy, in order to determine the sex of this dwarf one would have to know the exact species.
Because of the enclosure, I can only advise you: higher than wide and if you want to do it really well, then the upper third should be removable. The spider will build its web on top of the lid, if you don't want to destroy it every time, the thing with the removable upper third is a very good solution! The keeping itself is simple. Provide ventilation, moderate moisture and it's good. Jumping spiders also prey on animals that are slightly larger than themselves.
The following pictures serve only as an example, for a fully grown animal 15 x 15 x 20 cm are appropriate!

PXL_20210303_183446730.jpg PXL_20210303_183458302.NIGHT.jpg

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
...and remove the cotton ball, please. That stuff tends to be a breeding ground for bacteria. Instead, use a waterbottle-cap as a waterdish for example. It's shallow, while providing a place to drink and raising moisture within the enclosure from the water evaporating.

Beyond that, I will stay out of this since my knowledge about Jumping spiders is from reading only, not hands-on-experience.

Good luck though!

Sei sei

Arachnopeon
Hy, in order to determine the sex of this dwarf one would have to know the exact species.
Because of the enclosure, I can only advise you: higher than wide and if you want to do it really well, then the upper third should be removable. The spider will build its web on top of the lid, if you don't want to destroy it every time, the thing with the removable upper third is a very good solution! The keeping itself is simple. Provide ventilation, moderate moisture and it's good. Jumping spiders also prey on animals that are slightly larger than themselves.
The following pictures serve only as an example, for a fully grown animal 15 x 15 x 20 cm are appropriate!

View attachment 377687 View attachment 377688
I'll keep everything in mind of the enclosure! Ty for the help, and do you have any idea for how tol determinate was exact spicies? Or I have to try to guess, I say it bc most of them are pretty similar for me except for some.
Ty again for everything

Sei sei

Arachnopeon
...and remove the cotton ball, please. That stuff tends to be a breeding ground for bacteria. Instead, use a waterbottle-cap as a waterdish for example. It's shallow, while providing a place to drink and raising moisture within the enclosure from the water evaporating.

Beyond that, I will stay out of this since my knowledge about Jumping spiders is from reading only, not hands-on-experience.

Good luck though!
I didnt know that, I change it rn to the waterbottle cap. Ty for the advice :D

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
I would recommend keeping it out of sunlight since that can increase the temperature to a dangerous level. I once kept a ground spider that I caught and it lived for a long time with a water cap for water and some dirt and leaf litter on the bottom with some branches to climb on (though I don't recall him ever using them). To identify the species we would likely need a better picture that shows the markings on the sides.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Unfortunately I can't say what type you have, but if you find out, after one or two more moults you can tell the gender by the color / markings.

Sei sei

Arachnopeon
I would recommend keeping it out of sunlight since that can increase the temperature to a dangerous level. I once kept a ground spider that I caught and it lived for a long time with a water cap for water and some dirt and leaf litter on the bottom with some branches to climb on (though I don't recall him ever using them). To identify the species we would likely need a better picture that shows the markings on the sides.
Alright I'll be careful with sunlight then
Here some pictures of the spider, I tried my best to make the patterns visible. For more inforamtion I live in Spain maybe it can help on the research of the type of specie it is
20210303_202859.jpg 20210303_202904.jpg 20210303_163553 (1).jpg 1614802575705.png

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
Unfortunately I'm not experienced enough to identify that spider, hopefully someone else with more experience sees it and can identify it.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
I´m definitly not shure, but maybe Pelegrina galathea but they´re not from europe.

Last edited: