I need Help about Baby Scorpions Pandinus imperator Mother died

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You should keep them in a smaller terrarium...nice job with this species and, definitely, good luck...

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
Ok so here they are in their new home. I figures a 5.5 gallon tank was the right size for them to be in. They get darker everyday.

new home2.jpg

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
Very cool.
Yes I agree I find it incredible to transformation from white blobs to micro EMPS in such a short time. I keep looking over the pictures from when I first got them to now its crazy. I do have a question i know that young scorpions need high temps and humidity. should I keep that regiment up or will normal conditions for them be necessary now.

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They will still need rather high temperatures and humidity, it is probably more important for juveniles to have these things...

Last edited:

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If you can get Dubai roaches its.much better cause they won't attack molting scorpions.and they burrow just like they do :)

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
Crickets just are more convenient for me at the moment. I have thought about starting a small colony, but it seem unnecessary for mean to have a colony since i don't have that many T's and scorpions. otherwise I would have to keep ordering them online since no pet store has them, well at least none around here.

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
so an update I still have Seven and they seem to be eating fine I occasionally see one of two with a cricket it their claw so that's good and eating them. I do have a quick question I know that Molting is not an exact science in regards when they molt there is no predictably pattern except certain sign to look for not to mention the age of the scorpion. I was wonder though is their a usually time frame when 2i go to 3i, like is it a few months or up to a year.

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
depends on how often you feed and how hot you keep them

I have a 6i that is about 6 months overdue on his final molt (premolt for that long) so yeah they can take forever lol

typically every other to every other other month

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
I want to thank all of you for helping me with this I feel that I would not be so calm headed had you guys not help or that the baby scorps would have made it this far. I Think they will have long and happy lives as long as any unforeseen problems come along (knock on wood). So thanks to all for your help.

Having said that I have i believe one more question and I think I will be set. So I have been feeding them extra small crickets (thats how they are advertise, but they are more likely pinheads) They are eating them fine and and I always see one or two munching on them while in there claws. The problem is the place I get them Petco seems to get them not so much infrequently but just not consistently. Sadly all the local pet store are either out of business or special in specific things like tropical fish or cats and dogs, but no exotic pets or things like that. They have other options with other food sources like meal worms, superworms or wax worms, but I would probably have to prekill them. I read on this forum the problem with some of these food if they are not eaten immediately. so that is my question will they eat prekill food at being 2i and after they have hunted up to this point for their food. I mean does the mom still feed them food after this far in development or would they get their own food but stay with mom for protection.

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Having to kill any worms before hand is disgusting, I did it once for mealworms and never again. Is there an inconsistency with larger crickets? Those would be easier to pre-kill--or just let the juveniles kill them themselves, scorpions usually can subdue prey larger than themselves. At this point, they would begin fending for themselves, although this species has been found living communally at several different life stages...

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
well if they can take down bigger prey then their self at this stage of there lives then I will use medium size crickets, which are roughly the same size as the scorpions. I figure they couldn't do that until they were bigger. I see there claws and stinger and I feel they just don't have crushing power like their adult counter parts. I figure they still needed another good molt or two before they could be something that you wouldn't want to mess with as in not view as an easy snack by other creature. I guess its all relative when you look at it, I mean they don't look menacing, but if I was a insect of their size I would be more worried.

If I prekilled them would/should they eat them or are they strictly hunting live prey at this point?. I just worry that the crickets of larger size my cause undo harm to them since they are only 2i. Also if I only put in say 2 medium crickets in would they attack together to take it done or is it only the one they gets it gets it. I only ask because obviously I shouldn't nor do I want to put in seven large or medium crickets inside with them for a couple of hours. because I could see that going wrong. I definitely see why Dubai colonies are preferred they have so many pros and yet i see no cons as of yet.

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There is a difference from your perception and the scorpion's. They should certainly be able to eat prey of near that size, and if they cannot, so what? They will just run away--the prey shouldn't harm a healthy scorpion, especially one of the size and strength of P. imperator, no matter the size. You could experiment and just remove the prey if it does not work. Not trying to be obnoxious here, but it is always important to remember that they would not be "hand-fed" in nature. They may subdue prey together, many genera (e.g. Tityus, etc.) do that. Also, I don't know if it was a typo, but Dubai=Dubia...these could be more convenient for you, as long as you have enough scorpions that it is worth taking the time. By experience, I have found that crickets are all I need, never lost a scorpion to them, etc. Just try some things...

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
OK now I am confused and angry so last night i found one of them dead upside down and then this morning another one did the same thing. so now I have five left it looks like.

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What are the conditions like? Do they have access to a standing water source? Are they currently kept together?

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
I feel like i have them in good condition. the temperature is close to 85 but more around 83 depending on which thermometer. The best I can do for the humidity is 80 percent some times up to 85 on a good day because I know they like high humidity so I stay on top of it so it doesn't go any lower then 80. They have access to water source I have two milk jug caps always full of water next to their hide. They are kept together but the dead ones had no signs of cannibalism and they seem to like to be together. the hide i have in the tank takes up most of the tank so there is room for space underneath but they seem to prefer to be close to each other. the only thing I can think of as to why they died was because they were not developing as well as the others. here is a pick off all seven taken about two days ago

5 of 7.jpg

I know it looks a littler dirty but I spot check remove dead crickets and dirt that looks molding that was before i clean out the crap. you can even see one has a cricket in it claw and eating. but if you look some are lighter then the others so I figured they just were not developing properly, but i don't know I just know the darker ones are still alive.

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good thing you have been removing prey carcasses, etc. It is most likely that those specimens were simply weaker; I don't know if the lighter coloration was significant, but I do not think so. Good luck with the specimens left.

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
yeah its the only thing i can think of is they died was because they were weaker, but its still strange because it was immediate and no sign that something was wrong. They seemed responsive when I checked on them with a light when I peered into the hide, they were active when I checked on them and do spot cleaning. then the next thing i know is one is upside down not moving literally a couple of hours after i checked on them before and then when i wake up I found another like just like that. it making my brain hurt trying to wrap my head around it what happen to them. I mean i thought possible molting i know they don't flip upside down when they do it, but i have heard cases of it, but upon closer inspection they just seemed to have died with out any sign of problem what so ever before they died so I am just like WTF?