I need Help about Baby Scorpions Pandinus imperator Mother died

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
if I pre-kill the prey when they are ready to eat though they should eat it right? they way I wont run the risk of crickets damage the young

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
so here is another update they all seem more active now and more develop I think here is a recent pic

closer.jpg

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think those pictured did make it to 2i but they still won't eat until they harden up a bit, you might give it a week or so before offering pre-kill. Or you could try it sooner, if they don't eat it simply take it out.

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
cool i thought i saw some shedded exoskeleton but was not sure because it might be some decomp from mom to

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The exo left behind from molting to 2i is very thin and wispy, white, shrivels up a little to something that would be easy to miss. It's not like the exos left behind with all the other molts.

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
I see then i think they have majority have molted except for one or two, which is awesome news. also how exactly do you guys pre-kill the food? do you just cut them up with a knife or scissors or stabbed them with a needle or some sharp object, or is the skin to hard to break through so crushing is the best to get in the inside or do you do something else entirely?

Last edited:

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
so another Update they all went off the mom and look like they are hardening nicely except for it seem he lost its tail, so will that grow back not an expert on that.

yay they harden.jpg

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You left the dead mom in there? If so once they molt to 2i toss the dead mother out it should smell pretty bad :-/

If you have dubai roaches just feed them baby nymphs

Or pop the head of a cricket or feed them cricket drum stick legs

Only does this after they harden up though so another week after they molted

Edit
The one on the bottom looks like it has a messed up tail as in it broke.off
Could be the angle though

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
yeah when they went off the mom i took her out I chop up some crickets and they seem to eat them ok and yeah I did notice the tail on one it seems messed up but he is still doing fine. one died a about a days ago but the other eight seem to be fine.

Last edited:

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
:biggrin: yep exactly, however I still feel like a nervous mother but i guess I will be like that until they grow big and strong. :biggrin:

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
they should be fine now, all they have to do is harden up i wouldnt even feed them til they darken they typically dont even eat til they come off the back naturally (living mom) and that takes a week

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
ok so I transferred them to a Tupperware container, because they were getting hard to keep track of them all. How much darker are we talking about. will they go all black before their next molt or two or just a tan coloration like their are now in this picture.

tan.jpg

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
brown1.jpg

so another update for anybody interested. sadly the one with the messed up tail passed yesterday so now I am down to seven, but as you can see from the pic they are all getting darker. I have been throwing in small crickets not sure if they are pinheads they are called extra small where I buy them. I have seen a couple of the scorpions eating them and hunting them down so that is good. The one with the messed up tail never became dark like the other did so I had not plan on him or her making it. So Hopefully that is the last fatality and the other seven live.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
At that size you should be looking for a more permanent home with some substrate. Paper towels are good for younger ones. Good job getting them to 2i.

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
Thank you. I had them in a ten gallon when i had them with the mom I know that probably huge for them know but could I put them back in that tank or should i put them in a smaller tank and wait till they get bigger. I realize they will need to be in an even bigger tank for communal setup, but i figure i have time before i need to worry about that.