I need advice!

CrypticRealism

Arachnopeon
Alright well, I'll admit to you all that during the 9 month time period I've owned a g.rosia
I've only really handled her once
She's very skittish and all
I remember prodding her onto my hand..and it seemed to go well..she just sat there for a bit..
i decided to place her back into her terrarium..i slowly started moving my hand but she literally jumped and was about to run off so being the amateur I am, I freaked and jerked..
and she fell off..unharmed(thankfully)
but ever since, I've been too afraid of holding her
I've been thinking of trying out the "pin-down" method but I don't know if she'll like it very much =/

I'm also afraid of being bitten 'cause I presume, with a T as nervous as her, she could strike unexpectedly..?

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A good thing is to get her in a cup, then open the lit and let her go on your hand. It usually works fine. Just have her over a tabel/couch and she cant fall very far. It works for me, and she is calm when done like this;)

CrypticRealism

Arachnopeon
A good thing is to get her in a cup, then open the lit and let her go on your hand. It usually works fine. Just have her over a tabel/couch and she cant fall very far. It works for me, and she is calm when done like this;)
Thanks
I think I'll try that out
But I don't think using my hand as a lid would be too great of an idea? lol.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
no lol

it should work fine this way, and dont panic if she run a little. Just have a cup to catch her with if she goes to the table. But there should not be problems i guess. Mine is normally very active, but when she is up, she sits still and if she goes a little it is slowly. Guide her with a flat hand, If you gently push her on the left side she should go left, and do it on the back she should go forward etc... she should then go in the direction you want.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you try to handle again I'd reccomend being a couple inches above a soft surface like a bed at all times. It won't hurt the T if you happen to jerk it off your hand again or if it were to run off.

A tarantula in it's enviorment, in this case its enclosure, is way more defensive when in then out. So if you wanna try the pin method make sure to take the Grammostola rosea out of her enclosure first by transfering her into a container and then out on the bed/table/counter, whatever you please, and then try it there. What I always do to test if they would bite me, is gently put my fingers on/above her like I was going to do the pin method. If they turn around and try to bite me I wouldn't do it, if they just kinda sit there and huddle then I'll go through with the method.

Good luck,

Paul