I need a bit of help

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
I was given two of these as A. Avicularias, however I'm pretty sure that they are A. Metallicas. Any idea on the actual Sp. based on these pics?

Thanks guys!

IMG_6097.JPG IMG_6098.JPG IMG_6099.JPG

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
The first pic looks my Avic avics, but it's impossible to say for sure from pics.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Definitely not A. metallica. Each setae will look like it was barley dipped in white paint or like the end of a fiber optic strand.
2015-08-04 17.28.13.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Those are not A. metallica. A. metallica do not have red setae on their abdomen as yours do. I've owned this species from sling to adult.

Yours are also lacking the fiber optic setae from what I can see. It's an extremely noticeable trait in quite a few Avics, In short, all the setae are white tipped, and the remainder appears dark blue.

In short you have a very nice, healthy looking Avics. You'll never be able to breed them as you don't know what species they are.

Just enjoy them!

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
Those are not A. metallica. A. metallica do not have red setae on their abdomen as yours do. I've owned this species from sling to adult.

Yours are also lacking the fiber optic setae from what I can see. It's an extremely noticeable trait in quite a few Avics, In short, all the setae are white tipped, and the remainder appears dark blue.

In short you have a very nice, healthy looking Avics. You'll never be able to breed them as you don't know what species they are.

Just enjoy them!
Haha thanks man

They were given to me as AVIC AVICS, which I'm now certain they are, but someone mentioned to me that they resembled their old metallicas so I got curious and had to debunk his claim. I'm waiting on one to molt in order to sex it but the other is for sure a MF. Breeding is mos def in their future.

Thank you all for the replies!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Haha thanks man

They were given to me as AVIC AVICS, which I'm now certain they are, but someone mentioned to me that they resembled their old metallicas so I got curious and had to debunk his claim. I'm waiting on one to molt in order to sex it but the other is for sure a MF. Breeding is mos def in their future.

Thank you all for the replies!
I hate to tell you this, but breeding them is extremely irresponsible if you don't know the species, and it seems that you don't. You are potentially producing hybrids and putting those into the population at large, and thus their progeny will produce with someone else's Ts.

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
I hate to tell you this, but breeding them is extremely irresponsible if you don't know the species, and it seems that you don't. You are potentially producing hybrids and putting those into the population at large, and thus their progeny will produce with someone else's Ts.
I'm gonna breed them, I just said what they were. Dude even told me one dropped a sac for him already. Like I said, I was just debunking my own paranoia. Thanks for your concern tho

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Here's my question... if you knew what they were, and the guy you got them off of said what they were and had a sac from one... why did you even question the other person who said they were A. mets?

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
@viper69 im hella irresponsible when it comes to Most things in my life IE: I drive recklessly af, cuss in front of children, drink sodas while walking around Walmart and not pay for em,I've skipped church since I could walk on my own... but I'm sure af not irresponsible when it comes to my animals...JUST IN CASE YOU CARE TO KNOW.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm gonna breed them, I just said what they were. Dude even told me one dropped a sac for him already. Like I said, I was just debunking my own paranoia. Thanks for your concern tho
Any T can drop a sac, that doesn't mean anything at all, ie it doesn't prove they are pure. There's records of hybrids being produced. However, if you are that confident of the other person saying they are A. avic, what was so compelling about the other person's statements that made you think they MIGHT be A. met?

Im glad you question everything, at that rate, all of us could be wrong too ;)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
It's all for nothing anyways it's dangerous trying to ID 99% of Avics from pictures..

I also think that the wild type metallica is different from the hobby form not only do to hybridization but also because i
of selective breeding..

We all know the genus is a mess because of the" well they look the same breeding mentality".. If you have accurate collection data breed them if you don't keep them as pets.

The T in the first picture looks to be A.avic but the one in the second and third pic is deffinately not A.avic unless it's the lighting throwing me off.. It's setae are much too light, long and dense.. It also appears to be very large.. Too large for A.avic.. This is where the problem lies.. You assume both are the same species but they look completely different IMO.. They shouldn't be bred unless you can have someone positively ID them.

Last edited:

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
It's all for nothing anyways it's dangerous trying to ID 99% of Avics from pictures..

I also think that the wild type metallica is different from the hobby form not only do to hybridization but also because i
of selective breeding..

We all know the genus is a mess because of the" well they look the same breeding mentality".. If you have accurate collection data breed them if you don't keep them as pets.

The T in the first picture looks to be A.avic but the one in the second and third pic is deffinately not A.avic unless it's the lighting throwing me off.. It's setae are much too light, long and dense.. It also appears to be very large.. Too large for A.avic.. This is where the problem lies.. You assume both are the same species but they look completely different IMO.. They shouldn't be bred unless you can have someone positively ID them.
Thanks for the informative and helpful response, I'm certain that they are Avic Avics, and one picture mos def has a filter on it lol, so you are the only one that's been on point so far with that curveball. I just had a heated debate with someone who had nowhere near as much knowledge in the hobby as myself or the keeper I received these animals from (who is on these forums and I'm sure would love to confirm for is so that @viper69 and his gang of bully-knowitalls could gtfo with their negativity), so I decided to throw out a wire to see if anyone would agree with the moron. Obviously I'm correct about him being a moron since no one else seems to agree that these even look like metallicas. Both are 4-5" in legspan but one is in premolt at the moment while the other is not.

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
Any T can drop a sac, that doesn't mean anything at all, ie it doesn't prove they are pure. There's records of hybrids being produced. However, if you are that confident of the other person saying they are A. avic, what was so compelling about the other person's statements that made you think they MIGHT be A. met?

Im glad you question everything, at that rate, all of us could be wrong too ;)

You are never wrong tho :troll:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Thanks for the informative and helpful response, I'm certain that they are Avic Avics, and one picture mos def has a filter on it lol, so you are the only one that's been on point so far with that curveball. I just had a heated debate with someone who had nowhere near as much knowledge in the hobby as myself or the keeper I received these animals from (who is on these forums and I'm sure would love to confirm for is so that @viper69 and his gang of bully-knowitalls could gtfo with their negativity), so I decided to throw out a wire to see if anyone would agree with the moron. Obviously I'm correct about him being a moron since no one else seems to agree that these even look like metallicas. Both are 4-5" in legspan but one is in premolt at the moment while the other is not.
Thanks but no need for personal attacks you asked for opinions and he gave his and incase you didn't notice I agreed with damn near everything viper said.. The guy knows his Avics and Theraphosids in general.. He is extremely valuable to the hobby and I consider him a pretty good friend..

You know the one thing that leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth about this hobby is the intolerance and harsh criticism of peoples differences in opinions.. Well that and getting screwed on breeding loans.. I tend to distance my self from people that do either ;)