I. Mira Keepers! (Poss Emergency?)

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
So, long story short had a hiccup in our cross country move and the miras deli cup was breached tape and all and now there's a 3" female riding cross country with me somewhere in the cab of the Penske truck. I've checked all low areas in the truck and under flaps etc to no avail. Anyone have any idea what this species will do when there's no sub present? She's always seemed pretty chill but I'm not sure how this environment will affect her. I know failsafe is to seal up the truck in the sun before turn in if the worst comes to be but I would prefer to catch her safe and sound.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
That's why I suggested you pack them as if you were shipping them. Just saying..

I have no idea how to find a T in a moving truck.. Good luck finding her.

Last edited:

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
That's terrible, man. I'd just keep searching, is there any other luggage she could have hitched a ride onto when leaving the truck?

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
That's terrible, man. I'd just keep searching, is there any other luggage she could have hitched a ride onto when leaving the truck?
Cleared all luggage, I'm hoping the rumble will get her to crawl out, call me crazy but I'd rather take a bite and recapture her of it came to it than let her be cooked off. Long story short despite my objections a pug with severe anxiety issues was placed in the truck and while I was closing out our lease ripped his leash free via chewing,and took out his anxiety on my T collection. Luckily it was dented and disheveled but the only escapees were her and my AFS which crawled right out. Hopefully tomorrow the wife and I will be speaking given this dog has a history of acting the fool, though it's one of those everyone loves him scenarios so he gets away with murder.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Anyone have any idea what this species will do when there's no sub present?
All you can do it look. 3" while a good size mira, as that is the size of mine, really takes up a very small volume. There will be places you won't even have access to that a T can hide in.

How did your T escape, weren't the Ts packed inside another box, or the containers were free in the cabin. Just wondering how this happened....

Last edited:

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
Lesson learned the hard way, I guess. I know what you mean though. Don't give up just yet but don't get your hopes too high. A T that size could literally be anywhere right now. Gonna be a great story if you find her though.

JJC

Arachnopeon
Not knowing your exact situation (stops, overnight stays, etc) and assuming it's a typical rental truck with rubber/metal floor covering...I'd get some topsoil or similar and cover the passenger side floor area with several inches of it. If you overnight somewhere and it's dark and quiet, my guess is she's going to move around. If you're lucky and she finds the dirt, I'd think she start digging. And you can always stop and vacuum out the floorboard to pretty easily get rid of the soil.
Good luck...

14pokies

Arachnoprince
@Arachnomaniac19 .. I'm sorry you disliked my responce.. Not that sorry to be honest.. If the OP had taken my advice chances are this wouldn't of happened..

I didn't give my advice in the previous thread on a whim.. I'm faceing a 1,900 mile move at the end of June with well over 100 tarantulas between my collection which I have thinned extensively in preperation for the trip and my nephew's collection.. Our last night in Florida will be spent filling deli containers with extra soft paper towels and Tarantulas.. The lids to the delis will be taped on and they will either be put into boxes lined with thick layers of bubble wrap or placed in Styrofoam coolers which will be taped up and secure.. Same as if I were shipping them.

It's alot of work but as long as we don't get into a head on collision or some other horrendous accident neither of us will lose a tarantula.

If the OP had followed my advice and the advice given by other members he wouldn't be in this situation..

I feel terrible for him but at the same time he was given solid advice and didn't exactly follow through to the fullest possible extent.. Now a Tarantula may die and I'm sure he feels like crap for losing it.

Could I of just said that sucks and moved on? Yea I could of... Should I have? Maybe.. But I took the time to offer my advice the first time and it was partially swept aside.. I feel that sometimes a soft I told you so goes along way to show others that find themselves in a similar situation that they should listen to the answers given when they ask for advice.. If you don't what's the point of asking and look what happens when you ignore the advice given..

Im not bashing the OP.. Things happen.. But in this case it was likely preventable.

Last edited:

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
@14pokies what sucks is they were pretty much packed like they would be shipped with the exception of the box had a few vents I made for air flow, small deli cups tightly packed into a closed box, all of which was pretty much torn apart when I returned to the truck.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
@14pokies what sucks is they were pretty much packed like they would be shipped with the exception of the box had a few vents I made for air flow, small deli cups tightly packed into a closed box, all of which was pretty much torn apart when I returned to the truck.
Now you know for future reference to tie the dog to the front of the truck Mad Max style when you go on road trips.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
@Arachnomaniac19 .. I'm sorry you disliked my responce.. Not that sorry to be honest.. If the OP had taken my advice chances are this wouldn't of happened..

I didn't give my advice in the previous thread on a whim.. I'm faceing a 1,900 mile move at the end of June with well over 100 tarantulas between my collection which I have thinned extensively in preperation for the trip and my nephew's collection.. Our last night in Florida will be spent filling deli containers with extra soft paper towels and Tarantulas.. The lids to the delis will be taped on and they will either be put into boxes lined with thick layers of bubble wrap or placed in Styrofoam coolers which will be taped up and secure.. Same as if I were shipping them.

It's alot of work but as long as we don't get into a head on collision or some other horrendous accident neither of us will lose a tarantula.

If the OP had followed my advice and the advice given by other members he wouldn't be in this situation..

I feel terrible for him but at the same time he was given solid advice and didn't exactly follow through to the fullest possible extent.. Now a Tarantula may die and I'm sure he feels like crap for losing it.

Could I of just said that sucks and moved on? Yea I could of... Should I have? Maybe.. But I took the time to offer my advice the first time and it was partially swept aside.. I feel that sometimes a soft I told you so goes along way to show others that find themselves in a similar situation that they should listen to the answers given when they ask for advice.. If you don't what's the point of asking and look what happens when you ignore the advice given..

Im not bashing the OP.. Things happen.. But in this case it was likely preventable.
Avoid saying anything that can be taken remotely negative, lest the white knight of AB comes to dislike all your posts. :rolleyes:

OP, you'd be amazed at the nooks and crannies they can squeeze into; tear the inside apart bit by bit. You'll find her eventually. I'd just be very careful making sure she doesn't run out when you're looking.

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
@14pokies something I would suggest is maybe 2 - 4 wooden dowels in the corners of the box you put your Ts in (1 in each, or something similarly sturdy as a support), if I had placed those the box wouldn't of given way, though I can honestly say I didn't account for a 30lb pug hulking out on it because he felt left behind. :/

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
So for the record, when you do dumb things you go from this...
20170520_104904.jpg
To this...
20170520_102849.jpg
Enjoy the next 1200 miles ahole...lol.

Last edited:

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
Guess he deleted what he said but I agree with pokey, if I'd of gotten my hands on one of those Styrofoam boxes they ship fish in chances are he wouldn't of gotten through to then before I came back. At least I got the next 15 hours to think of a way to capture and prevent it in the future...

Avoid saying anything that can be taken remotely negative, lest the white knight of AB comes to dislike all your posts. :rolleyes:

OP, you'd be amazed at the nooks and crannies they can squeeze into; tear the inside apart bit by bit. You'll find her eventually. I'd just be very careful making sure she doesn't run out when you're looking.
Is it crazy if I'd grabbed her bare handed before I'd allow her to run off? Lol

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I sympathize, my first tarantula was my only one to ever escape. It was when my parents helped me move out of college. He was in the cage when it went into the car. He wasn't in the cage 6 hrs later when we arrived at our destination. Never found him or any remnants of him.

Good luck finding him! Sounds like you have plenty of time. If you're lucky it'll be sitting on the dash when you wake up in the morning.

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
no. better a bite than a lost AF female I mira. i would. best to have a catch cup though, at least gloves.
True, though if it's a sudden thing and between escape or recapture I'll try to pin and hope for the best lol. Got a catch cup and tongs ready so I'm hoping if I see her while driving I can drop a cup on her until I can stop and put the lid on. Lord if my P. Irminia got out I think I'd just set fire to the truck lol, she's meaner than my obt. :'D

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
I sympathize, my first tarantula was my only one to ever escape. It was when my parents helped me move out of college. He was in the cage when it went into the car. He wasn't in the cage 6 hrs later when we arrived at our destination. Never found him or any remnants of him.

Good luck finding him! Sounds like you have plenty of time. If you're lucky it'll be sitting on the dash when you wake up in the morning.
I'm hoping so, though I'm not sure how good of climber she is considering she's always been in acrylic so I've never seen if she likes to or not.