I made my first T enclosures

HimitSumi

Arachnopeon
I don't have the tarantulas yet but I obviously wanted to get things ready in advance. I just finished these two enclosures. I'm hoping to house a C. elegans sling in the small vial enclosure and a small G. pulchra in the larger enclosure. I'm a bit worried the C. elegans will be too small for the vial but if that's the case I plan to just keep it in the shipping vial until it grows a tad and then rehouse it. I drilled both of these myself and I was super nervous about cracking them but it was actually surprisingly easy and now I just want to drill holes into every plastic container I can find in my house lmao
128701095_10224813807160314_2945281624270998127_n.jpg 129107591_10224813807040311_4750496252589418637_n.jpg 129546281_10224813806520298_4947900132817696617_n.jpg 129443774_10224813806640301_6785893568155389592_n.jpg

HimitSumi

Arachnopeon
Where did you get the large enclosure. Nice work!

thanks! I got it at a local hobby shop. It's a display case meant to hold model cars and they come in a bunch of different sizes. I wanted to get one in every size but they're about $10-30 each so I couldn't justify it

Last edited:
I don't have the tarantulas yet but I obviously wanted to get things ready in advance. I just finished these two enclosures. I'm hoping to house a C. elegans sling in the small vial enclosure and a small G. pulchra in the larger enclosure. I'm a bit worried the C. elegans will be too small for the vial but if that's the case I plan to just keep it in the shipping vial until it grows a tad and then rehouse it. I drilled both of these myself and I was super nervous about cracking them but it was actually surprisingly easy and now I just want to drill holes into every plastic container I can find in my house lmao
View attachment 367787 View attachment 367784 View attachment 367785 View attachment 367786
Hi
Nice looking enclosures.
You are correct in your doubts that enclosure(vent holes more than anything)will be too big for C elegans.They are super tyni as slings.
Pic below of my biggest one in 1oz pot(3cm diameter)
Also dont put them on too deep substrate.They will burrow and dump more on the top and they may not sense the pray you put in.Never saw mine before they hit 1-1.5 cm
Now get a glimpse now and then 20200804_180432.jpg
Regards Konstantin

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
Looks very nice 😏 is that plants I can see in there too?
that's nice as it will simulate a natural environment I haven't got any plants for mine yet that's next on my list

scurry

Arachnopeon
Looks like sphagnum moss in there to me, could be wrong though.

They sell those boxes on Amazon (and I'm sure elsewhere) if you haven't seen them locally, I've got a ton of them. It looks like the 4x4x8 size to me, they sell them in packs. You get 2 or 3 for $10 if I remember right. I would buy locally if you can find them though. The lids are not super thick, and several of mine were cracked during shipping. They still work fine, but it bugs me aesthetically that there's a crack in the lip on the lid.

HimitSumi

Arachnopeon
Hi
Nice looking enclosures.
You are correct in your doubts that enclosure(vent holes more than anything)will be too big for C elegans.They are super tyni as slings.
Pic below of my biggest one in 1oz pot(3cm diameter)
Also dont put them on too deep substrate.They will burrow and dump more on the top and they may not sense the pray you put in.Never saw mine before they hit 1-1.5 cm
Now get a glimpse now and then

Regards Konstantin
Thank you for your advice! That's especially good to know about the substrate. I've read C. elegans is a relatively fast grower so I hope I can move past the super super micro stage quickly. The sling I'm hoping to get is supposedly around 0.25 inches so not as tiny as they come but I'm sure still a great learning experience for me.

HimitSumi

Arachnopeon
Looks very nice 😏 is that plants I can see in there too?
that's nice as it will simulate a natural environment I haven't got any plants for mine yet that's next on my list
Not quite, just sphagnum moss for right now. I do have some plants growing in my pacman frog's bioactive enclosure so perhaps in the future I can introduce plants and/or springtails to my tarantula enclosure but I wanted to start out a bit more simply at first.

HimitSumi

Arachnopeon
Looks like sphagnum moss in there to me, could be wrong though.

They sell those boxes on Amazon (and I'm sure elsewhere) if you haven't seen them locally, I've got a ton of them. It looks like the 4x4x8 size to me, they sell them in packs. You get 2 or 3 for $10 if I remember right. I would buy locally if you can find them though. The lids are not super thick, and several of mine were cracked during shipping. They still work fine, but it bugs me aesthetically that there's a crack in the lip on the lid.
That's good to know! I got mine locally and it was a tad pricier than 3 for $10 haha but it is nice not having to worry about damage in shipping. I also pickedup a couple of other cheap AMAC boxes to have on hand just in case. Those were very cheap at like $5 a piece. They're the more verticle style. I think one of them would make a great enclosure for a T. albopilosus sling but I'm trying not to get too ahead of myself

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I have similar cases to your rectangle. Yes, they are small acrylic display cases, and they work quite well

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
Not quite, just sphagnum moss for right now. I do have some plants growing in my pacman frog's bioactive enclosure so perhaps in the future I can introduce plants and/or springtails to my tarantula enclosure but I wanted to start out a bit more simply at first.
Fair enough I guess while it's little it doesn't need it won't need to many plants or moss especially while it's in a small pot did you say pacman frog? Is it yellow? 😁

HimitSumi

Arachnopeon
Fair enough I guess while it's little it doesn't need it won't need to many plants or moss especially while it's in a small pot did you say pacman frog? Is it yellow? 😁
haha nope! I have Ceratophrys aurita which don't come in different morphs. He's mostly brown/orange right now but they change color a lot as they grow.
tempImagev55nJq.png