I love my....

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I love my P cambrigei and Brachypelma albopilosum because they always eat for me..they been eating since I got them a week ago. my Curly hair ate 4 crickets the first night I got him took a day off then after the day off ate about 2 -3 more...now he is eating as we speak

and i think I learned my P cambridgei eating schedule which is about 2 -3 every other day..and he / she is eating now as we speak.

{D

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Good heavens, how big are they? That sounds like an awful lot of food. I have 3 B. albos, all different sizes and they all eat once a week. Curly, the baby, gets 1 cricket sized for him, Dottie the juvie, gets 2 to 3 once a week, and Silvara the teenager, gets 2 a week. Some people say I overfeed.

Yuki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:eek: thats a lot of food. they must be some fat Ts. they may need to go on a deit. its not good to over feed them.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i think i already posted in one of your threads about the dangers of powerfeeding - how about you do a search on 'powerfeeding'?

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That sounds like an awful lot of feeding to me, too. 2-3 crickets a week should be more than enough for any tarantula.

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i agree... with everbody. 1 cric a week is more than enough. just watch their abdomen until it gets as small at the carapace. then u should be good. but 6 a week is bery bad. think of the cricets not as small compared to you, but big compared to the spider. would you eat 6 whole deer in a week? heck, no. i love venizon, but still, no. hope this helps. :)

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i agree... with everbody. 1 cric a week is more than enough. just watch their abdomen until it gets as small at the carapace. then u should be good. but 6 a week is bery bad. think of the cricets not as small compared to you, but big compared to the spider. would you eat 6 whole deer in a week? heck, no. i love venizon, but still, no. hope this helps. :)
the P. Cambridgei

the Curly hair

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i to only feed once a week to my b. albopilosa and she / he is just fine but its up to you as long as the ( t ) are not to fat then it should be ok -- phil

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yes, they are too fat - especially the curly hair. with an abdomen that size, i can easily die from a rupture after a fall of only a few inches. so stop feeding until they get thinner (might take a few weeks, maybe months) and than put them on a healthier diet of a crik a week or something like that.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yes, they are too fat - especially the curly hair. with an abdomen that size, i can easily die from a rupture after a fall of only a few inches. so stop feeding until they get thinner (might take a few weeks, maybe months) and than put them on a healthier diet of a crik a week or something like that.

How is my P. cambrigei too fat?? his enclosure isnt big enough at all for him to fall from anything high and get a rupture.

(this is how small my P. cambridgei enclosure is...when he stands vertically in the corner on the wall of the critter keeper his back feet touch the area a few inches below the lid and his front feet touch right near the substrate..To prove this my Cambridgei actually dug out the some of the dirt to make enough room to slide under a hole in his webbing so he could get in and out ..basically saying the substrate wasn't low enough)

and my Curly hair I have only had for two weeks.... so there is no way his abdomen is going to get that big in a week and half. So what does that mean? it means he came to me with his abdomen that size and since some breeders may not feed their T's when they are going to be shipped he was clearly hungry. If he was't hungry he wouldn't eat...or if for any other reason he didnt want the food he wouldn't eat.

and my curly hair's enclosure isnt being enough for him either to fall from anywhere high and rupture anything

please keep in mind that these pictures are close up..so the closer the picture is the bigger the abdomen is going to look.

I have a costarican tiger rump and a B vagans who I have had since I had my curly hair and my P. cambridgei and since I have had them both neither want to eat....Why not? either because they aren't hungry or they have some impending molts...either way it goes they don't eat because they don't want the food. (and when they dont want it I take it out and since they haven't wanted when i recently tried I won't try again until next week)

Last edited:

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ballpython2, I know how you must be feeling. You haven't had a whole lot of T's, and the first ones you got didn't eat well. That is just something that happens, some T's just aren't good feeders. Then you get two who do want to eat, and you want to feed them.
My husband was the same way. Last January (2006) I got a tiny little 1/2 inch A. purpurea for my birthday. My husband insisted I was starving him because I only feed once a week. So he started feeding him 3 times a week, at least one cricket sometimes two.
The end of December of 2006, he moulted out to a mature male. He is healthy and strong, but I got only a year with him. Bottom line is this, powerfeeding causes T's to have a much shortened lifespan. If my male hadn't been fed like he was, he wouldn't be out breeding now, and his live expectancy wouldn't be measured in months. ( that is if he does not get chomped) Think about it.
Also some T's will eat until they explode and quite frankly, all three of my B. albos would if I let them.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No, not true.
Well i just got an email back from a professional breeder and he said overeating won't harm them but obesity is a problem.

since I know when my T will become obese I also will know when I reach the limit...I seen that photo of the person who powerfeed their gray-ish color T way too much and the abdomen was twice the size of a T...I won't get there at all..

So in conclusion I'll be fine and my feeding of 2 -3 crickets a week isn't hurting my T at all..but i do want to thank everyone for their concern. :razz: :eek: