I like the feeders...

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've never been like this this before, but I've become more fond of the feeders.
I'm unsure if there's anything to do about it.
I actually feel bad for the roaches and like them.

I only have 4 arachnids and the feeder box.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I used to get like that when feeding live rats to my snakes years ago, I've long since switched to ftozen/thawed and don't feel so bad about it anymore.

As far as insect feeders, switch to crickets if you feel bad for the roaches, you will be cheering for the T to destroy the crickets after they start singing and stinking :p

Alana

Arachnopeon
I have 3 different species of roach, but the only ones I use as feeders are Turkistan roaches, B. lateralis. They are not remotely likeable, so I don't feel bad if I have to crush their heads. My dogs knocked over a tank full of crickets a few days ago, I keep finding them everywhere. Horrible stinky things! I don't feel bad about feeding mealworms either.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I love my dubias. I apologize to them and thank them for their sacrifice every time I feed one off.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've never been like this this before, but I've become more fond of the feeders.

When I bring bugs into the classroom, I try to separate the roaches so I have a few in a cage that are "pets" for the kids to hold, and others in a bin that are "food" so they can watch me feed the tarantulas. The kids love watching the T. stirmi or the A. geniculata demolishing a fat roach - but they feel a bit squeamish about it after they've been Oooh-ing and Aaah-ing over the roaches, especially if they see me pulling them out of the same cage. It's easier for the kids if they're separated.

Octagon

Arachnoperson
I almost did not get my first T because I was worried about how I would feel feeding them live prey. But of course my love of T's won out, no contest. But I will confess that when the occasional cricket escapes into the house during transfer to my T's cage, part of me is thinking "good for you, crickie! Go and be free!"

Also, on a couple of occasions over the years, I have had individual crickets that, for some unknown reason, lived far longer than the rest of their batch, and sang their hearts out continuously. These "super-crickets" seemed to have so much "spunk", that I ended up releasing them.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I don't have crickets and I have never kept them in quantity but when I get a few, I want them to die over and over again.

Don't care about the roaches, I also have three different species but all are food. I don't hate them with a passion though.

I still cannot get myself to crush heads though.

All the vertebrate feeders are frozen/thawed and I swore to not to feed live long ago unless it is life or death situation.

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you all for the replies.
I keep the dubias in with rollers and a few glow spots. I will not keep crix due to noise and smell as stated.

But the geniculata is not appeased by mealworms or crix. I just like the roaches and feel bad for them at that time.
Not sure if there's anything to I can do to change my view point.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thank you all for the replies.
I keep the dubias in with rollers and a few glow spots. I will not keep crix due to noise and smell as stated.

But the geniculata is not appeased by mealworms or crix. I just like the roaches and feel bad for them at that time.
Not sure if there's anything to I can do to change my view point.
The only thing to do is find your peace with it.

Trenor

Arachnoprince

I will send you some more roaches to care for and you send me your Ts. Problem solved. :D

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The only thing to do is find your peace with it.
No.. You're right that's about it.

Thanks Trenor but I'll keep the Ts for now. Took along time to find out what Ts are my favourites.