I know, too many B. jacksoni questions

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I hope this is the last time I have to bother the good patrons of this board with my B. jacksoni questions, but . . .

1. Can anyone who's had experience with this species tell me to what extent these scorps are as active as other 'bark' scorpions (specifically Centruriodes sp.)?

2. Since these scorps have the ability to climb, is there any chance one could escape from a 'critter keeper' if I positioned it vertically? could they break through the plastic vents?
(and when I say break I don't mean squeeze, but could they literally claw their way through the plastic slit vents?)

3. The prescents of a subaculear spine worries me. I was told that these scorps are painful, but not dangerous. However, many species of scorpions that have a subaculear spine are medically significant. Is that an incorrect generalization, or am I correct in thinking that these guys could be harmful.

Thank you for any and all responses. You'd think I would have just shut up and gotten the thing by now, but I insist on not keeping 'dangerous' animals.

Thanks,

Chris

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't currently keep any, but kept a pair of dark red color morphs a couple years back, so I'll try to assist as best my memory serves. If anyone has any modifications to this info, please do inform us both. As I said, it's been a couple years.

They are not as visually stimulating with activity as most Centruroides I keep and have tendencies to hide more often (C. margaritatus gravid females being one of them that almost always seems to stay outside the hide because they like the extra warmth the light provides them with).

Scorpions will not spend enough time attempting to claw through the plastic vents on a critter keeper (they just attempt to squeeze in between the bars and climb them), but Babycurus, until adults, are quite small and could, if the critter keeper was large enough, squeeze through the cracks easily.

Don't be concerned with all scorps which have the subaculear spine because some C. gracilis (as seen on the scorpion files and I'm not sure if includes all C. gracilis because I didn't notice it on all of them and don't have their taxonomical research papers) also have this spine and are not considered to be a life threatening scorpion. Babycurus are considered to be something that packs one heck of a "wallup", from what I've heard, so being careful is definitely something you would want to do.

It's best to be well prepared for a scorp and know what to expect, than to be looking like a fool because you paid it no mind.

adios,
edw. :)

Last edited: