I knew something was wrong....(A.met sac)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
So for the past eighteen days my female A.met has been taking great care of her sac.. Never letting it touch the sub never mind putting it down to drink or search for food.

Well the last three days she has had the sac very close sometimes resting on the ground.. For three days I have been weighing the risk of pulling ten days earlier than I normally do for this species..

Well today I decided to risk it and pull and I'm glad I did.. I understand the eggs may not develop in my incubator but they deffinately wouldn't of survived in the sac.

Here's some pics..

Small but looks pretty good..
20170503_175145.jpg
Hmmm. Not bad but something is off..
20170503_175500.jpg

I knew it..

20170503_180327.jpg
That mess was sitting underneath about fifty otherwise great looking eggs.. If I didn't pull today this clump of bad eggs would of ruined the entire sac.

Here's a crappy pic of them in the incubator I will get better ones tomorrow..
20170503_180100.jpg

Xafron

Arachnosquire
I didn't know you could incubate spider eggs like that. Really neat.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Well its a good thing you trusted your gut on that. It seems gut feelings are usually right.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Wow I feel like today's posts are nothing but bad molts and bad egg sacs :(

Good luck with your eggs!

aphono

Arachnobaron
Good catch. Are you able to tell if they are fertile yet or not? Is the "white details" in the eggs a sign of growing embryos?

what sort of incubator are used for T eggs? I've bred all sorts of birds over the years.. imaging little itty bitty egg racks and tiny crank turning the egg trays... :happy:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Good catch. Are you able to tell if they are fertile yet or not? Is the "white details" in the eggs a sign of growing embryos?

what sort of incubator are used for T eggs? I've bred all sorts of birds over the years.. imaging little itty bitty egg racks and tiny crank turning the egg trays... :happy:
Thanks man.

They look to be fertile. Yes the white shadow to the side of an egg is a good indicator that legs will eventually emerge.

For an incubator I drill holes through the bottom of a 16oz deli cup and put a coffee filter in it. Then I put that into a 32oz deli container filled to about two inches from the bottom of the 16oz.

I'm not very good at describing things so I hope it makes sense lol. I will upload pics of the whole thing later.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Finally got around to counting the eggs. 98 made it out of the sac.. Let's see how many make it out of the incubator.. :angelic:

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Very cool, you just gave me another method of incubating. Thank you.
Don't thank me yet..This is the first time I have used this method.. I hear it works great though.

Honestly I improvised on the spot.. I usually use a steralite with a cut out top with pantyhose stretched over it.. The steralite is then filled with about an inch of water and the whole thing is put inside of a larger tote with a few vent holes. I was too busy today to run to the store to buy the items for my usual incubator then set it up etc. I also didn't expect to have any good eggs at all.. I had everything on hand to make this style incubator and said screw it, I'll give it a shot..

I can say that one thing I don't like with this incubator setup so far is how the eggs bunch together around the bottom rim of the cup. On the pantyhose it's very easy to keep them seperate. It's impossible with this method.. I'm going to ride it out though and see how it goes.
Who knows maybe it will work great for me also.. I'm a big fan of trying new things even if they end up sucking.. At least that way I know..

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Please post a picture of the setup and update on the progress of these eggs if you don't mind. It'd be much appreciated!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Wow, great job on acting on intuition!
Wishing you lots of healthy fuzz-butts :)

LeonExotic

Arachnopeon
Innovative incubator! Good save on the eggs. Situations like that suck, but at least it lets you know that you're attuned to your.....spidey senses! :D

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Innovative incubator! Good save on the eggs. Situations like that suck, but at least it lets you know that you're attuned to your.....spidey senses! :D
I can't take credit for it.. I first saw it on a video by I believe Jason from T.breeders.com

And thanks yea my spider senses were tingling for sure! Lol