I killed a pede today...

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
It was a Scutigera sp. house centipede, and I saw it and stepped on it. It was in my house without my permission, therefore it had to die. I already have three in containers, and I don't need anymore. They can't survive outside in the winter, so releasing it outside was a stupid idea... plus, he had shown blatant disregard for asking my permission before entering my home before, and I had no reason to think he'd learned any manners in the meantime. I was a little disappointed with myself for automatically stepping on the centipede without even thinking about it, but once I analyzed the situation and realized that my brain subconsciously did all of the above thought processes in less than a split second, I was actually quite proud of myself. My brain made the correct decision and told my body what to do before I even knew what was going on.

Today will be a good day.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
And you're sure non of the three captives is missing from their tanks?

Mister Internet

Arachnosupporter +
Cirith Ungol said:
And you're sure non of the three captives is missing from their tanks?
Positive. We have these pests ALL THE TIME... usually, I at least make a symbolic attempt to throw them outside, even though they can't really survive there...

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Mister Internet said:
Positive. We have these pests ALL THE TIME... usually, I at least make a symbolic attempt to throw them outside, even though they can't really survive there...
I wish I had those running about in my flat. Think of poor me next time you find one... lucky Mr. I. It's years since I have seen even a garden variety tiny swedish centi running about in the wild. Next one I see though will have to go for a little trip with me and then I'll feed it mice laced with steroids until it reaches the size of my leg.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No stubborn pondering today for you, right? Ha, I know what you mean. Some days it's just turned on and other days, you can't turn it on. I can't figure out what the difference is. Some days it just flows. Other days, I should just go to bed and not move. Anyway, I keep hearing that these can't make it through the winter outside. I have found Scutigera sp. under logs in deep forests with no houses around. But, sometimes we don't get hard freezes here in tx where I live. Sometimes it won't freeze in a year. Not common for it not to freeze but every once in a while it won't. I've caught two different kinds under logs around here (Between Bryan Tx and Austin). I have a pic on one, purple stripes, and the other was larger and rusty red.

Mister Internet

Arachnosupporter +
Yeah, I can imagine they would in TX... definitely not around here though, too dry and too cold. You can find them occasionally in the summer under logs, but that's about it.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah having centipede in the wild where you are from is good and not ... good for the Myriapods fans, bad when they enter in your house, especially with kids and animals around!

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
I usually the errant Scutigera sp. live, just because they help take care of the even less desirable home invaders. (See how quickly the two legged kind runs screaming from the house when lied to and told Scutigera is highly toxic {D)

Last edited:

Parahybana3590

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thoth said:
I usually the errant Scutigera sp. live, just because they help take care of the even less desirable home invaders. (See how quickly the two legged kind runs screaming from the house when lied to and told Scutigera is highly toxic {D)
Huh...:)...:clap:

324r350

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cirith Ungol said:
I wish I had those running about in my flat. Think of poor me next time you find one... lucky Mr. I. It's years since I have seen even a garden variety tiny swedish centi running about in the wild. Next one I see though will have to go for a little trip with me and then I'll feed it mice laced with steroids until it reaches the size of my leg.
Stepping on these tend to spill tens of wriggling (im serious) legs all over the floor
i use the toilet

you know i do sell the scutigera, $1/piece
ive still yet to get someone to take me up on my offer

LukeC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cirith Ungol said:
LMAO {D {D {D {D

ArachnoYak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Take a bow.

I thought this message board was for people that actually liked arachnids and their relatives, not for ignorant bugstompers. What do you want? A brownie badge? Grow up! Save your posts for information sharing as that is the purpose of this forum. The sad thing about it is you are one of the administrators and are supposed to be setting an example for the rest of us.

Last edited:

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I usually plop 'pedes in my basement when I find them in the house. They're too useful in getting rid of more serious pests for me to kill. Same goes for spiders - my home would be INFESTED with fruit flies were it not for our ample supply of spiders. Removing helpful predators, especially ones that don't really pose a risk to people, from the home seems counter-intuitive.

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They can't survive in the wild.. what did they do before people colonised properly? Or are they introduced...?

How is it a pest, if it eats all the roaches and stuff in your house?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They can't survive in the wild.. what did they do before people colonised properly? Or are they introduced...?

How is it a pest, if it eats all the roaches and stuff in your house?
S. coleoptera is introduced from like Africa or something. so they need houses for wintering in cold places

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I thought this message board was for people that actually liked arachnids and their relatives, not for ignorant bugstompers. What do you want? A brownie badge? Grow up! Save your posts for information sharing as that is the purpose of this forum. The sad thing about it is you are one of the administrators and are supposed to be setting an example for the rest of us.

It was in his house...therefore it had to die.

You know...it's funny. He's probably saved more pedes with his step by step how to about how to build escape proof enclosures than any of us will ever own at one time.

Either way...there are many people on here who own roaches and you don't see them protesting the extermination industry. It's essentially the same thing.

Time for life to become a lot less serious ;)

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It was in his house...therefore it had to die.
that's one of the most ignorant things i've heard.

about as intelligent as ''the only good snake's a dead snake.''
or ''i had to shoot that snake, it was going to bite me''

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It was a Scutigera sp. house centipede, and I saw it and stepped on it. It was in my house without my permission, therefore it had to die. I already have three in containers, and I don't need anymore. They can't survive outside in the winter, so releasing it outside was a stupid idea... plus, he had shown blatant disregard for asking my permission before entering my home before, and I had no reason to think he'd learned any manners in the meantime. I was a little disappointed with myself for automatically stepping on the centipede without even thinking about it, but once I analyzed the situation and realized that my brain subconsciously did all of the above thought processes in less than a split second, I was actually quite proud of myself. My brain made the correct decision and told my body what to do before I even knew what was going on.

Today will be a good day.
The least you could do is at least read the first post in the thread and get the joke I was refrencing.

It's right there, dude...one click and less than 10 seconds worth of reading is all it takes.