I just learned a valuable lesson...

Sicel1304

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's not a good idea to gently touch your G. Aureo on the butt after not touching/handling her for a good couple months...because I must have surprised her, and she spun around faster then I could see and threw up a half-hearted threat display at me. :( Scared the crap outta me.

Next time...I'll use a paintbrush or something.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ha, I've had that happen to me with a sub-adult Acanthoscurria geniculata. I had her for awhile so I knew all her behaviors, but this one surprised me. I touched her abdomen and she turned around so fast and grabbed my finger with her palps and first 4 legs. I guess she didn't bite cause she knew I wasn't prey. Anyways, after a couple of seconds she let go. It was an experience I needed because it taught me that even if you know all the Ts behaviors they can still have one that will surprise you. I still haven't been bit by any T I own, I know it'll come one day, but I don't want it to be because of my stupidity.

Syngyne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My G.aureo has given me a couple of threat displays too... they've been slow, though. She has bolted pretty quickly when I prodded her once, and that made me jump.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
prodding

Individual Ts seem to react more, or seem indifferent, to prodding. My A. avic only moves a little, and slowly, when prodded. My L. para either turns around and puts her front legs up in a sorta-threat, or runs off a little ways and stops. Sometimes she doesnt move at all. Maybe its different 'moods' they are in at that time.