I just got my new (first) T - P. Metallica

Noiselessx

Arachnopeon
Hey guys! I just found this cool forum and I am more than happy to become a part of it :)))

I used to own a B.Smithi around 10 years ago and I like it a lot, so I decided to get back into the hobby. However, this time I went for something more ... interesting, at least for me. I've just purchased this juvenile P. Metallica and the terrarium today, so I am more than happy to share it with you. I assume that it is probably too big for it right now, but I don't plan on rehousing her (hopefully it is her) in the future.

Attachments

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
You should add a piece of cork bark leaned up against the side and some more clutter. This species likes places to hide

Benja84

Arachnopeon
Agree with @Tarantuland. I've found pokies are WAY more agreeable and less teleport prone if you've got plenty of clutter and a decent hide. Cork rounds or a piece of bark leaned up against the side work well.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
If you're going to go with a highly venomous, speedy tarantula with no experience then you really need to be confident with what you're doing; by buying a too large enclosure that already says you're not confident rehousing... then they aren't set up correctly...

What research did you do prior to purchasing this T? I only ask because these guys aren't a T you want to use as a learning curve with; they can really put a hurting on you and need to be respected.

Noiselessx

Arachnopeon
I know that the species is not newbie-friendly. In terms of research, I have read different guides and watched videos about how to care for it (of course that is not equivalent to a first-hand experience, but still.

As for the safety measures - I do NOT want to hold it in my hand, nor put it outside of its enclosure. I have purchased thick gloves, and around a 25 cm long "tool" to use when needed (it is larger than the lenght of the terrarium.

I know that a cork or something for the spider is recommended, but the person I've purchased it from said that it will eventually create webs around the bamboo. As far as I know, he has more than 20 years of experience in this hobby, so I tend to believe him.

Btw, I am willing to trade the spider for something else of I don't feel confident taking care for it.

Xharyel

Arachnopeon
Well, first of all, welcome to the hobby.

About what the keeper said to you, obviously it will web because it needs to hide, even with a cork bark it will still web. Webbing doesn't mean it'll feel safe or comfortable. You really need to provide it a hide, it will definitely be less prone to bolt out or show defensive behavior.

Gloves won't help either, worse, it may make it even harder for you to manipulate your tools when rehousing, etc.

If you know something is recommended, why don't you go through with it and would rather listen to a single person? Being experienced doesn't necessarily mean good husbandry, if anything, I have doubts about him if he told you just that is fine for a P. metallica.

So yeah, get a hide asap, more foliage wouldn't hurt either. And read a lot in this forum, you have basically everything answered about P. metallica's care.
Also, the enclosure is a tad too big to my taste in comparison to the T's size. I'd probably rehouse it in a smaller one to have better control.

Hopefully it turns out well for you and doesn't turn into a horror story. Always proceed with care when dealing with OWs.

Noiselessx

Arachnopeon
Well, first of all, welcome to the hobby.

About what the keeper said to you, obviously it will web because it needs to hide, even with a cork bark it will still web. Webbing doesn't mean it'll feel safe or comfortable. You really need to provide it a hide, it will definitely be less prone to bolt out or show defensive behavior.

Gloves won't help either, worse, it may make it even harder for you to manipulate your tools when rehousing, etc.

If you know something is recommended, why don't you go through with it and would rather listen to a single person? Being experienced doesn't necessarily mean good husbandry, if anything, I have doubts about him if he told you just that is fine for a P. metallica.

So yeah, get a hide asap, more foliage wouldn't hurt either. And read a lot in this forum, you have basically everything answered about P. metallica's care.
Also, the enclosure is a tad too big to my taste in comparison to the T's size. I'd probably rehouse it in a smaller one to have better control.

Hopefully it turns out well for you and doesn't turn into a horror story. Always proceed with care when dealing with OWs.
Thanks for the answer! May I ask you for a suitable alternative for the gloves? I know that nothing is 100% safe, but I want to make sure I am doing everything I can do stay safe.

Xharyel

Arachnopeon
I just don't use gloves, unless when dealing with NWs, but I just use disposable nitrile gloves to deal with urticating hair if they feel like kicking. OWs don't have those so I just go bare handed. If you do things right (read a lot here, watch Tom Moran's video about rehousing Pokies as well) and treat it with respect, you won't have any issues.

But I gotta say, getting an OW arboreal as a first T is not something I would have recommended, especially if your only experience in Ts was a Brachy 10 years ago. At this point, if you decide to keep it, I can only recommend you to read A LOT here, the more you know about it, the more you understand the species, the less scared you'll be and the less mistakes you'll do. (Fear is often caused by a lack of knowledge, which leads to mistakes and accidents, better safe than sorry)

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I have two of these and neither webs much, really only when they're fixing to molt. I would even add a bit more substrate. Gloves are usually not recommended because they reduce your dexterity. Alternative- catch cups, long tongs, long paintbrush, long paintbrush- above all focus and respect and patience.

With more places to hide the spider will be less defensive.

Even if the spider can survive this way in this set up which it possibly can, it will not thrive. It deserves a proper set up, but you're most of the way there already. Most video's aren't very good- Tom's big spiders youtube being the good exception.

These are not difficult to care for, but they are very fast with potent venom and will get large. The goal is to make whats safest for the spider and for you

Noiselessx

Arachnopeon
I have a 25ish + cm tong,l that I will use if I need to remove something from the enclosure. I hope that I won't need a cup because because the enclosure is big enough to house it once it gets older (like someone said, the idea was to avoid any rehousings).

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I have a 25ish + cm tong,l that I will use if I need to remove something from the enclosure. I hope that I won't need a cup because because the enclosure is big enough to house it once it gets older (like someone said, the idea was to avoid any rehousings).
So what are you going to use to capture the spider if it bolts out when you're feeding it or changing a water dish?

Xharyel

Arachnopeon
Definitely agree with @Tarantuland I didn't even mention catch cup, it's my bad, because I assume that it's standard. You definitely WANT a catch cup no matter what. Especially with OWs that are known to be lightning fast.

If you're not comfortable with the idea of rehousing, maybe getting an OW as a first T wasn't the best idea (it never is, it's doable, but not advisable). You might wanna reconsider your choice, because rehousing is "almost" inevitable in some cases.

Noiselessx

Arachnopeon
I have a cup nearby, so I will use it if necessary. The water dish is next to the sliding door, so I can add water without the need to open it fully.

Like I said, I will do everything I can to avoid any tricky situations. I do feel kinda sad and let down after reading some of the comments, but I guess I shouldn't posted anything in the first place :D

Why would I need to rehouse it if the enclosure is big enough for an adult? I am not just curious to know, I don't want to start a fight :D

Xharyel

Arachnopeon
I have a cup nearby, so I will use it if necessary. The water dish is next to the sliding door, so I can add water without the need to open it fully.

Like I said, I will do everything I can to avoid any tricky situations. I do feel kinda sad and let down after reading some of the comments, but I guess I shouldn't posted anything in the first place :D
Why feel sad? It's good that you posted, we aren't here to judge your choices, we're all adults here.
I've gotten an OW pretty soon myself, so who am I to disregard you? We're trying to point you to the best direction to avoid any mishap for you and your T. We only wish the best for both of you.

Rehousing can sometimes be a necessity in case of stuff like mite or mold explosions (which can be avoided with springtails and proper ventilation). Sometimes, you just can't help it, although it wouldn't cause any harm to your T.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Hey i totally get it that you would rather trust a proven friend over a bunch of people you barely know. Still this is a very light sensitive, reclusive spider. In my experience giving them a proper hide will make them feel more secure and eventually feel more confident to stay out and about. If you plan on keeping it like this it wiill be more prone to erratic behaviours which in the end is more dangerous for you.

Its up to you to decide what you want to do but why not give it something to hide if you know they can be stressed by too much light? Just my two cents.

Noiselessx

Arachnopeon
Hey i totally get it that you would rather trust a proven friend over a bunch of people you barely know. Still this is a very light sensitive, reclusive spider. In my experience giving them a proper hide will make them feel more secure and eventually feel more confident to stay out and about. If you plan on keeping it like this it wiill be more prone to erratic behaviours which in the end is more dangerous for you.

Its up to you to decide what you want to do but why not give it something to hide if you know they can be stressed by too much light? Just my two cents.
I will go to the pet store tomorrow and buy something for the spider to hide.

About the rehousing, if I don't feel confident doing it myself, I will literally pay the person I've got it from to do it. I know this makes me look as if I am not ready for it (which may be true), but I am willing to do everything in my power.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I will go to the pet store tomorrow and buy something for the spider to hide.

About the rehousing, if I don't feel confident doing it myself, I will literally pay the person I've got it from to do it. I know this makes me look as if I am not ready for it (which may be true), but I am willing to do everything in my power.
I’m not sure you need to rehouse it, you can probably do what you need without it. I might have discouraged you from this species based on your stated experience level. But since you already have it, I’m just trying to offer helpful advice. I’m not judging you, as you seem to want to give the spider a good home.

Welcome to arachnoboards!

Please don’t feel afraid to post. This is the best resource for learning about tarantula care. You are far from the first to pick up this species without a ton of experience. Nor will you be the last.

Nothing is personal- we all just want happy healthy spiders and confident keepers.

Noiselessx

Arachnopeon
Just in - the T is moulting as we speak... I am actually afraid of turning on the lights... :D

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Just in - the T is moulting as we speak... I am actually afraid of turning on the lights... :D
Leave it alone!! And don’t try to do anything except provide water until it’s fangs harden black again…7-10 days or so maybe more

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Seems like you got the whole package right from the get go. You don't need to be too careful just don't disturb it too much during this process. I wouldn't rehouse it ether but if you want to secure the hide to the background, which i would recommend it might be necessary to catch it out, secure the hide like you want it and then reintroduce the spider.

Yes you can take out the exuviae after it molted, nothing wrong with that, just wait till it is done!!!