I just got my first tarantula and i wanted to show him off

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
I have quite a few slings at that stage right now. I can’t tell you how anxious I am for them to finally molt lol. It’s nothing I haven’t seen or had happen before but even after 15 years of keeping Ts I’m still a little kid about my spiders molting xD

Gendernotfound1994

Arachnopeon
I have quite a few slings at that stage right now. I can’t tell you how anxious I am for them to finally molt lol. It’s nothing I haven’t seen or had happen before but even after 15 years of keeping Ts I’m still a little kid about my spiders molting xD
I don't think I'm gonna get to see him molt. If I can find the molt though I might try and ask for seeing info. Not sure how big they have to be for that.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That hide needs to be replaced what the hell

Read here on why it should be for the health of your T

DustyD

Arachnoknight
You have not said what species of tarantula it is that would dictate care.

As indicated above, take the time to research your T and its care. The more you know the better off you both are.

But a better hide is needed. It really doesn’t allow the little one to hide safely.

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Adorable little chonk!

Might want a smaller enclosure so it doesn't burrow away for months at a time... And double check that your vent holes are smaller than your T's carapace.

Gendernotfound1994

Arachnopeon

As indicated above, take the time to research your T and its care. The more you know the better off you both are.

But a better hide is needed. It really doesn’t allow the little one to hide safely.
Thank you. What would you recommend for a hide?

Thank you. What would you recommend for a hide?

He is a G. Rosea

Congrats on tour very first T.
Me predicts more. 😉
So do i

He looks cool :cool: what species of tarantula is he?
A g. Rosea

DustyD

Arachnoknight
Cork bark if you have access to it. Something light to let it dig under it without having it fall on top. And do read up on this species. It is actually part of the enjoyment of keeping tarantulas, seeing how other people do it.

cold blood’s idea is even better, at least for the T.
Easier for it to find food. Easier for you to provide moisture. I put a small piece of plastic leaf in to provide cover, some have used it, many have just dug small holes.

G.rosea are very nice. Mine are bigger and so far have loved to excavate caverns on one side of the enclosure and dumping the soil on top leaving less space on the top than I had planned for.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I would start looking into other NW tarantulas you would be also be interested in keeping as that little guy will bore you to death in the upcoming days/years. No offense to you but not a good choice as a first tarantula a 1/2" G.rosea sling, its just likely going to piss you off by not eating or moving much at all .

Good luck and much patience needed!!

Gendernotfound1994

Arachnopeon
if everything goes right, you might have to pass It down to your grandchildren 🤣🤣
I'm only 28, he might die before I do. I guess we will see.

I would start looking into other NW tarantulas you would be also be interested in keeping as that little guy will bore you to death in the upcoming days/years. No offense to you but not a good choice as a first tarantula a 1/2" G.rosea sling, its just likely going to piss you off by not eating or moving much at all .

Good luck and much patience needed!!
I've had him a couple weeks now and tried to feed him. He's not really interested. I'm keeping the water dish full for now. Thanks!

Cork bark if you have access to it. Something light to let it dig under it without having it fall on top. And do read up on this species. It is actually part of the enjoyment of keeping tarantulas, seeing how other people do it.

cold blood’s idea is even better, at least for the T.
Easier for it to find food. Easier for you to provide moisture. I put a small piece of plastic leaf in to provide cover, some have used it, many have just dug small holes.

G.rosea are very nice. Mine are bigger and so far have loved to excavate caverns on one side of the enclosure and dumping the soil on top leaving less space on the top than I had planned for.
I can get cork bark but nothing small enough to fit in this cage. Is there any way to cut a small piece?

Is that a deli cup? What would work for a hide?

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Is that a deli cup? What would work for a hide?
They basically adopt the whole deli cup as their hide.

When you graduate to like a 5oz cup instead of a 1oz cup you can give them a little lump of bark. My 1-1.5" G. pulchra even has a tiny fake leaf it likes to climb on 🤷
PXL_20230203_104140427.jpg
PXL_20230201_231526857.jpg