I just got a P. Murinus!!

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
From the pet store, its about 4 inches or so, and i got it for $28!! Yes!! Can i ask for some quick care tips? I know they are semi arboreal and everything and web up there enclosure but how about temp and humidity requirements? How often should i feed her etc. etc.? Pics to follow...

Here are the pics i managed to slap together real quick, she is currently in my big tank while i arrange her 5 gallon...

Last edited:

Dustin

Arachnopeon
give them water and feed them now and then thats all i do and it seems happy as can be :)

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thats a nice pet to keep.. webs up a lot though... and yup just feed em' and they'd be happy as a clam. :cool:

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pet store attendant told me get a heat pad for it... what brand should i get or does that matter.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi,

Pterinochilus murinus are native to ... Angola, Burundi, Tanzania, Dem. Rep. Congo (Zaire), Kenya, Mozambique, South Africa, Sambia and Simbabwe

I would care of your Pterinochilus murinus this way :

I usually use the Zimbabwe as reference on the kind of climate to keep them. Zimbabwe has dinstinct Dry and Rain season, its not because it is from Africa then you have to keep bone dry at full time :

November to marsh : Rain season.

In these months, heres how I am keeping them :

3 weeks to one month : regular misting, 3 to 4 misting a week, light misting you know ... you dont want to flood the terrarium, and you got to have a good ventilation. I usually moist the substrate a little and thats it, most of the time I mist the opposite of the spider hides, to offer the spider a dry and moist side, and to increase the humidity in there.

Then, I give the spider a break of 2 weeks, where I dont mist, I let the container dry's up.

and I continu like this for the Rain Season.

-----

April to October : Dry Season

In these dry months, here's how I am keeping them :

3 weeks to one month : 1 to 2 light misting a week, to the opposite of the spider hide.

then, 2 week's a little bit more wet, I mist 2 to 3 time a week, very light misting, somethings that will dry up in the next few hour's. Just to make sure the spider is well hydrated.

and I continu like this for the rest of the Dry season.

You can keep it at 26 degres celcius the day, 23 the night.

I would offer your Pterinochilus murinus this kind of environement, they like it very much and they wont bother a long time on the glass, or doing a cocoon in the corner.

Last edited:

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for that info cedrik, very helpful...

And haha, i live in texas if that tells you anything about the heat

These are from africa so they are old world. That means they dont have hairs right?

Last edited:

Dustin

Arachnopeon
i live in michigan and it gets along fine w/o a heat pad i love how poeple at pet stores just make stuff up

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My coco fiber is still moist, i mean its just not complety bone dry but its barely moist though, is that a problem?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What pet store did you get that from?? The petcos in boston only sell rose hairs boringgggggg..they wont even do a special order for me even though I go in there basically every day. I even told them I would PAY for the item(s) ordered BEFORE they even get to store. but no such luck.

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My girl wanted something so i called the pet store and got lucky, she is beautiful!! And almost full grown!!! When i get my tax return i plan on a blondi... I am setting up the cage now with what i can, this was kind of wild hair in my ass haha so i didnt have much to decorate with pics are coming!!

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats on your new T!:D I didn't take a look at the pics yet but I will now. :D

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
welcome to the mad world of P - MURINUS lol a good ( t ) you got their feed it well allways try to keep your eyes on it when you are working in its tank as you do not want a BITE from your new pet lol == phil

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for all the replies, im trying to dry out my substrate now... Is it really that important if its not completely bone dry cause its almost there...

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
bone dry

Heres another opinion on dryness/moist, I mist my obt's enclosure once a week on the sides and let it dribble down to the substrate, then allow it to dry out the rest of the week.

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i also spray my OBT once a day because our climate here in the philippines is really warm and the substrate seems to dry out every so often.

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She immediately webbed herself in a corner? That doesnt mean its going to molt does it? How long should i wait to feed?