I just bought my first Tarantula! Very excited... (my story)(pics)

Grunyon

Arachnopeon
I literally just got back from the store maybe 20 minutes ago. Pet store about an hour from me in PA had a case of about 30 different tarantulas. I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted to get and they had 3-4 species I wanted (LP, GBB, Versi, anything Grammostola) which they had every one of. I can totally see how people end up with multiple tarantulas. They had a G. pulchra but it was nowhere to be seen and looked like it had an intricate system of tunnels. The Versi I had already pretty much talked myself out of for now. I was tempted to get the $90 metallica sling. They had an LP but when I picked up the container and looked it was about the size of my pinkie nail and I figured that might be a complicated first purchase compared to the three GBBs sitting next to it about 1.5-2".

Two of them were out on display, one was hidden the whole time. One was completely flipping out when I picked up his container (flighty). The other one acknowledged me picking him up but wasn't flying around his container. I also noticed that he was exploring his cage and in a different spot every time I walked past which I figured were all good signs. So I picked that one. Even the whole car ride home he didn't try to hide or freak out so I think she/he might turn into the great display tarantula I was looking for.

So here I am at home with my new GBB and half a dozen pinheads. I was told today is his feeding day and that I should feed him (need to learn how and when and much much still). I need to figure out how often to drop some water in (or water bowl?). I should probably also order some long tweezers to clean his container. I figure he's probably going to be okay in this container for 2-3 months but I should start figuring out which enclosure to put him in permanently. I need to do research galore. He's chilling out on top of his log watching me type this right now.

So exciting. Any advice or tips or anything at all is appreciated!

Attachments

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Awesome. I have 3 of them and they are a great species to own. What size is it? Did they sale it as sexed or unknown?

They are pretty easy to keep. I'd add in a bottle cap for a water dish and feeding will depend on it's size. I try to feed mine once a week.

Last edited:

louise f

Arachnoangel
First of all congratulations with your new T.
You should provide it with a water dish. And give it a little bigger enclosure, make sure it got a nice layer of substrate and a hide,besides from that enjoy your new T. It is gorgeous <3 :)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i hope you know it didnt acknowledge you.. it freaked out cause its home was picked up and it didnt have a hide.

Grunyon

Arachnopeon
i hope you know it didnt acknowledge you.. it freaked out cause its home was picked up and it didnt have a hide.
I may have personified that a little bit. It moved, but nothing like the other one who started running circles.
If you don't mind me asking where at in Pa?
It's the pet store attached to the flea market / farmers market in Quakertown. They have two locations but I went to that one... I remembered them having a couple of Ts from going to the market in general in the past. Apparently they have an in-house "expert" who has quite a collection himself..

Thanks for the other suggestions. It was sold unsexed. If I had to guess I would say it's a tad under two inches when it's fully lounging on top of it's hide. How many crickets should I feed? One at a time? They gave me six freebie pinheads but I feel like it should be eating slightly bigger.

Last edited:

Grunyon

Arachnopeon
When she was stretched out like this on the side, from her back left leg to her front right leg, it was no doubt a solid 2". So I guess we'll go with that?

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I need to figure out how often to drop some water in (or water bowl?).
I would give her more space than she has now. The enclosure needs substrate (coconut fiber, either alone or blended with peat or topsoil, is a popular choice -- just avoid anything with added pesticides or fertilizers), a water dish (no misting; keep the substrate dry), a hide, and anchor points for webbing. The water dish should ideally be wide enough for the tarantula to submerge its whole mouth if it wants. (They won't drown.)

GBBs are quite hardy, even as slings, though a bit faster than most other starter terrestrials.

I should probably also order some long tweezers to clean his container.
You will want some long tweezers for cage maintenance. GBBs have urticating hairs that may make you itch if you go into the enclosure with your bare hands. Also, you are less likely to be bitten with tweezers. (GBBs aren't really known to be biters, but it's a good habit to develop.)

How many crickets should I feed? One at a time? They gave me six freebie pinheads but I feel like it should be eating slightly bigger.
I always feed one at a time, usually about once a week or when their abdomens look right for feeding.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I literally just got back from the store maybe 20 minutes ago. Pet store about an hour from me in PA had a case of about 30 different tarantulas. I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted to get and they had 3-4 species I wanted (LP, GBB, Versi, anything Grammostola) which they had every one of. I can totally see how people end up with multiple tarantulas. They had a G. pulchra but it was nowhere to be seen and looked like it had an intricate system of tunnels. The Versi I had already pretty much talked myself out of for now. I was tempted to get the $90 metallica sling. They had an LP but when I picked up the container and looked it was about the size of my pinkie nail and I figured that might be a complicated first purchase compared to the three GBBs sitting next to it about 1.5-2".

Two of them were out on display, one was hidden the whole time. One was completely flipping out when I picked up his container (flighty). The other one acknowledged me picking him up but wasn't flying around his container. I also noticed that he was exploring his cage and in a different spot every time I walked past which I figured were all good signs. So I picked that one. Even the whole car ride home he didn't try to hide or freak out so I think she/he might turn into the great display tarantula I was looking for.

So here I am at home with my new GBB and half a dozen pinheads. I was told today is his feeding day and that I should feed him (need to learn how and when and much much still). I need to figure out how often to drop some water in (or water bowl?). I should probably also order some long tweezers to clean his container. I figure he's probably going to be okay in this container for 2-3 months but I should start figuring out which enclosure to put him in permanently. I need to do research galore. He's chilling out on top of his log watching me type this right now.

So exciting. Any advice or tips or anything at all is appreciated!

I'm not sure why you bought an exotic animal when you don't know how to take care of it.

I strongly suggest you read here and do more research on the exotic pet you have.

The good news is GBBs are extremely resilient to husbandry mistakes so hopefully it will live in your care. If one kills a GBB, then one should own a pet rock instead.

They are a fascinating species, incredible color AND pattern changes as they reach maturity.

Don't read care sheets, they kill tarantulas.

1. You need to rehouse that tarantula, container is too small.

2. Provide a water bowl, and do not mist this species. They live in a very xeric environment.

3. It's a terrestrial species that does semi-arboreal traits, it's quite nimble and fast compared to most NW terrestrial species. It will take off out of that cup quite easily.

It will make ready use of ANYTHING you provide it for webbing as the species is a dense webber. Search the forum you'll see some impressive GBB webbing.

Last edited:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
My GBB's never use the hides they are provided. They are more like OP's and will move just slightly when I open the container. All of them webbed the hide closed.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Prepare to battle to keep the water dish from being webbed over. You could upgrade your T to a tub with more square inches of horizontal real estate and it will love it. I have four of them and they are either slightly bigger or slightly smaller than yours. I am keeping them in 8" x 10". I have never seen them dig, but they love to climb and web everything in sight.

EDIT* Mine have never ran out of the cup, but I always move my hands and tongs very slowly when cleaning or providing prey. This will prevent them from freaking out. Get yourself a second larger plastic tub to sit the T's container in on the floor (or use bathtub with drains closed) to protect yourself from getting into a bad situation.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Congrats on your first T purchase. First of many, I should say:embarrassed:

I would also like to commend you on your research. Even though you're clearly a novice, you've obviously put in more time learning about T's than most other people do before getting their first. It's more common to see a newbie get a rosie from Petco and house the poor thing in an exo terra on gravel with a sponge in the water dish. At least you had a good idea of what you were getting into and what species you were looking for! I'm sure your new GBB will live a great life in your care.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
next step is a bigger cage and a
My GBB's never use the hides they are provided. They are more like OP's and will move just slightly when I open the container. All of them webbed the hide closed.
That's no reason not to provide a hide.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
next step is a bigger cage and a

That's no reason not to provide a hide.
I don't disagree with you. Is that not the hide that is covered with web? It is hard to tell. But I'm not defending the vendor. That store container looks more like a prison than a home.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Congrats on your new T that's one of my wish list. Waiting for pet expo in April.