I just bought my 2nd T

Star8527

Arachnopeon
A pink toe Martinique.. The only thing is it's a sling I couldn't find an adult. I bought from Jamie's Tarantulas and I bought the juvenile enclosure. I am worried there won't be enough ventilation with it? Can you make more holes in plastic?

Kina

Arachnopeon
My GBB

A pink toe Martinique.. The only thing is it's a sling I couldn't find an adult. I bought from Jamie's Tarantulas and I bought the juvenile enclosure. I am worried there won't be enough ventilation with it? Can you make more holes in plastic?
Don't worry! I've bought many slings from Jamie's and there was plenty of ventilation! She puts PLENTY of ventilation holes in her juvenile enclosures. Just look up sling care for your species, and know that slings need a bit more moisture than adults, depending on your breed. I killed:cry: IMGP0346.jpg my first baby, it was a 1st or 2nd instar, .25", because I did not know that they needed to eat fruit flies, or VERY small maggots (there are small superworms, and really small "pinhead crickets", though I haven't been able to find them at Petco or Petsmart. Your best bet is fruit flies, unless you're talking about a .75" or 1" sling, who can easily eat small crickets. Even some voracious type slings can eat things way too big for them. A good rule of thumb is food no bigger than the carapace, but I've seen many eat bigger, it just depends, try different things. Good luck! Kina

Attachments

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Don't worry! I've bought many slings from Jamie's and there was plenty of ventilation! She puts PLENTY of ventilation holes in her juvenile enclosures. Just look up sling care for your species, and know that slings need a bit more moisture than adults, depending on your breed. I killed:cry:my first baby, it was a 1st or 2nd instar, .25", because I did not know that they needed to eat fruit flies, or VERY small maggots (there are small superworms, and really small "pinhead crickets", though I haven't been able to find them at Petco or Petsmart. Your best bet is fruit flies, unless you're talking about a .75" or 1" sling, who can easily eat small crickets. Even some voracious type slings can eat things way too big for them. A good rule of thumb is food no bigger than the carapace, but I've seen many eat bigger, it just depends, try different things. Good luck! Kina
There have more than a few issues seen with some of the enclosures from there...I've seen good ones and bad ones, post a pic just to be sure.

They do not NEED to eat fruit flies :laugh:, in fact fruit flies should only be used to supplement diets....they are nutritionally deficient, lacking in important amino acids. Slings will eat the same things adults will, its just a matter of cutting the mealies/roach/cricket/waxie into the appropriately sized pieces.

Size of the prey matters less when its dead, they will crawl onto larger chunks of prey than they are without issue.

Burchling

Arachnopeon
Yeah dude, she uses AMAC containers from the Container Store. I bought one from her and then made my own from then on... She's a great seller. She usually ship 2-3 day though. I just bought an adult enclosure from her. Top notch. Also, just call your martinique pink toe, a Versi. Since it's an Avicularia Versicolor... We'll know what ur talking about :) Thanks for the post, I remember when I had 2 T's.... I have 30 now. You will have more as well too lol. As for the ventilation, she uses aluminum 2" vents I think. These provide plenty of air, and also a great way to mist the enclosure without having to open it :)

Enjoy your Versicolor! They are great T's!

Sidenote: From my experience and a lot of others... They like to poop on you when handled, and they can also be a little skittish. ALSO! If you see those front 2 legs up while they're walking, this isn't a threat display, it is the typical Avic walk. You can google it if you want. :D enjoi!i!i!
FullSizeRender (14).jpg
She pooped on me right after this pic too...

Star8527

Arachnopeon
Thanks Kina with the quick response. The lil booger is anywhere up to an inch I bought him pin head roaches. I think my husband thinks I am insane I am deathly afraid of spiders but I think tarantulas are cute. I will never hold one but I think about it maybe with welder gloves on.

---------- Post added 08-15-2015 at 06:10 PM ----------

You guys are great because I really have no idea what I'm doing. And you're all so helpful. I just knew I wanted another one. When I get him/her I will post a pic. My curly is also a sling and has buried itself.. I think he hates me.

Last edited:

spiderbesideher

Arachnosquire
Great choice. I have ordered from Jamie twice and was not disappointed. She's very helpful. I did solder a few extra lines of holes in those pre-made enclosures for my own personal preference.

Slimdean

Arachnopeon
Jamie's T's are great. I got my c.perezmilesi from her and forgot to send an email to say I got it ok. I got a feisty email later in the night that I really should let her know cause that's how much she cares.

cold blood

Staff member
Jamie's T's are great. I got my c.perezmilesi from her and forgot to send an email to say I got it ok. I got a feisty email later in the night that I really should let her know cause that's how much she cares.
Good for her!!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You guys are great because I really have no idea what I'm doing. And you're all so helpful. I just knew I wanted another one. When I get him/her I will post a pic. My curly is also a sling and has buried itself.. I think he hates me.
Your T doesn't hate you, it's being a T. If you yourself are stating you have no idea what you're doing, maybe it's time to start doing your research? :)

gobey

Arachnoknight
I just bought a tarantula for the first time once too. Good times.

Stop and read as much here as you can. And get the tarantula keepers guide if you haven't. Read it cover to cover. Like twice.

I bought a couple of other books too and I watched every YouTube video I could find
And read every web page and article I could and still do.

But mostly. I have what I ask here from experienced keepers. And what my tarantulas have taught me. And I've only had them for 14 months.

My point is. 2 will keep you occupied entertained for a bit... So learn now. Because soon otherwise you'll have 4. And 7 and 13. And 16. And...

So make sure you're educated and ready and know what ones you want and why and when.

I'm not saying this because I'm an expert
I'm saying this because the experts do. I'm a newbie still. I didn't do what they said to. And sure enough I made some mistakes. Ones that could have been avoided.

That said you have 2 great tarantulas to start out with. Enjoy them. They don't hate you. They just are what they are. And they have a world to show you.

o0 Mr Ed 0o

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A good alternative to cutting up mealworms and ripping apart crickets or crushing them to death is beam weevils, they are very nutritious and all of my slings love them. One culture will last you what feels like forever!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk