I hit the jackpot with new additions

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
It wasn't a big order, but for the species it was a bargain. I acquired a sexed pair of B. Emilia. Do I dare post pictures?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
It wasn't a big order, but for the species it was a bargain. I acquired a sexed pair of B. Emilia. Do I dare post pictures?
That's awesome! I hope your sexed pair were bought as mature specimens, if not there's a risk you won't even be able to breed them.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Then don't plan on breeding this pair. Simple as that. Not saying that it's impossible, but I'd be pretty surprised if you're able to.

I do, however, have a mature female ;) Reach out to me when you've got a MM, I'd buy him outright or set up a loan, your choice.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
That's awesome! I hope your sexed pair were bought as mature specimens, if not there's a risk you won't even be able to breed them.
Then don't plan on breeding this pair. Simple as that. Not saying that it's impossible, but I'd be pretty surprised if you're able to.

I do, however, have a mature female ;) Reach out to me when you've got a MM, I'd buy him outright or set up a loan, your choice.
Out of curiosity, why wouldn't they be able to breed?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Out of curiosity, why wouldn't they be able to breed?
The male will mature long before the female. That male has got another two molts or so before sexual maturity. Same with the female, but males grow quite a bit faster than females.

If they were bought as slings, it would have been much easier. Feed the male sparingly and keep him cool - feed the female heavily and keep her warm. She'd still be a bit away from being full grown, but she'd likely be sexually mature when the male has his ultimate molt.

@Andrea82, wasn't it you that I told about "sexed pairs" in this country? See what I mean?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
The male will mature long before the female. That male has got another two molts or so before sexual maturity. Same with the female, but males grow quite a bit faster than females.

If they were bought as slings, it would have been much easier. Feed the male sparingly and keep him cool - feed the female heavily and keep her warm. She'd still be a bit away from being full grown, but she'd likely be sexually mature when the male has his ultimate molt.

@Andrea82, wasn't it you that I told about "sexed pairs" in this country? See what I mean?
Jup...pretty shady business if you ask me..:shifty:
People buying two slings, expecting to breed them and make lots of babies, and lots of dollars in the process, which obviously isn't happening. And the seller is laughing his behind off because he got to unload an unwanted male.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I will definitely remember to do so, I will be trying to find a date for my male B. Sabulosum here in the near future. I will say that the male does seem a tiny bit smaller (the way my eyes see him) which is good. The female ate a superworm about 2 hours after unpacking (it was the only thing keeping her from attempting to walk out of her enclosure to escape)

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I love the way the adults look. Love love love. Can't wait for my sling to start showing the adult pattern.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
all I need to do now is get a B. Smithi and I will have a very nice collection. I am getting a male E. Sp. Red soon, so this thread will be updated yet again.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Last of the two orders came today. The male E. Sp. Red made it safe and sound as well as a freebie P. Scrofa

creepa

Arachnoknight
Different growing rates. The males grow far faster.
Its all in the feeding..., i have 1.1 Poecilotheria metallica sacmates and my female is 4.5" and the male is now 1.5".

And with a little bit of luck and experience you can keep the male from molting another year and the female to molt 2/3 times before the male does.

Last edited:

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Its all in the feeding..., i have 1.1 Poecilotheria metallica sacmates and my female is 4.5" and the male is now 1.5".

And with a little bit of luck and experience you can keep the male from molting another year and the female to molt 2/3 times before the male does.
Care to explain your care methods? That seems incredibly useful. I've never been able to delay growth to such an extent.

creepa

Arachnoknight
Care to explain your care methods? That seems incredibly useful. I've never been able to delay growth to such an extent.
Like @EulersK said keep the male cooler and the female warmer...
"powerfeed" the female until she's full and goes in premolt and keep the male on a strict diet... (feed once every 1 or 1.5 month)