i have this question for awhile, anyone knows?

icefish

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
once the centipede mated, how many hatches they can give? or every hatching needs a mate? thanks, and sorry for my bad English!!!!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't think there is a whole lot of info about this. I read on this site that they think female pedes can hold sperm for 18 months. I remember who said how long it was but I'm not sure if it was 18 months. I think that was the number. I have 3 pedes that laid eggs last year and hatched. I'm curious to see if they do it again this year and they hatch, without mating. That'd be pretty cool.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There's a thread somewhere deep within the boards where someone detailed how one isolated female went through a specific cycle. Once per year she would molt, lay eggs, and raise her babies how centipedes normally do. Then she'd do it again the next year. I think she did this at least three times, all with never having been exposed to another centipede while in captivity.

It shows that either A) some centipedes are truly parthenogenic, or B) centipedes can store sperm for multiple fertilizations AND across molts. B is more likely, as I believe she was WC, and it gives some interesting insight into centipede physiology.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here is the thread I mentioned. I guess I over-dramaticized a bit, but I was pretty close.