I have revised my Brazilian Black Slings enclosure

Darby Stevens

Arachnopeon
Alright so I think this is perfect for my Brazilian Black sling, it’s just had a molt though any advice to make the enclosure better before I transfer the sling?

Attachments

Darby Stevens

Arachnopeon
Water dish- a 16 Oz deli would have been fine
Yes I do have a water dish in there now, the last enclosure I had was way to big and this one is a lot smaller I figured the more substrate the better

Yes I do have a water dish in there now, the last enclosure I had was way to big and this one is a lot smaller I figured the more substrate the better
The transfer is done but I think it’s pissed at
Me lol

Attachments

Darby Stevens

Arachnopeon
Ummmmm those air holes are probably large enough the Tarantula can squeeze through and escape....
The sling is roughly half an inch? I don’t think it would squeeze through I suppose I could get a different deli cup and transfer again but if you see the hole in comparison it looks impossible

Attachments

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
The sling is roughly half an inch? I don’t think it would squeeze through I suppose I could get a different deli cup and transfer again but if you see the hole I’m comparison it looks impossible
Can totally squeeze out, in my opinion. If the holes are the same size as (or bigger than) it's carapace it can get out.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
I would agree with @moricollins . I would be surprised if your T was still inside that enclosure in the morning. Your ventilation holes should be smaller than the carapace or you risk the chance of escape.

Darby Stevens

Arachnopeon
Can totally squeeze out, in my opinion. If the holes are the same size as (or bigger than) it's carapace it can get out.
I do agree with you, well this is lame I thought it was perfect I think I’ll have to do another transfer. Any ideas on making the holes smaller with out another transfer? Or should I just start over?

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I agree that those holes definitely look big enough for the T to squeeze through. Think of them like hamsters: of they can get their head (carapace) through it, they can get the whole body through. Plus, it's just better safe than sorry. That's a spider I'd hate to lose, especially if it was my own simply mistake.

Additionally, I personally would put it in something even smaller, especially shallower. So much substrate and such a big enclosure would encourage it to burrow, and that means less prey interaction and slower growth rate. Considering how slow they grow already, I can't imagine how slow they'd grow in conditions that encouraged hiding.

Finally, when you use a water bowl for them, it's best to bury they bowl a bit so it's more level with the substrate. It's just easier for them to drink that way.

Regardless, good luck with your little one! They're a lovely species

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I do agree with you, well this is lame I thought it was perfect I think I’ll have to do another transfer. Any ideas on making the holes smaller with out another transfer? Or should I just start over?
Start over. Anything you do to make the holes smaller is unlikely to work long-term.

You can make the holes with a pin, or a needle. SMALL holes are acceptable...

Darby Stevens

Arachnopeon
I agree that those holes definitely look big enough for the T to squeeze through. Think of them like hamsters: of they can get their head (carapace) through it, they can get the whole body through. Plus, it's just better safe than sorry. That's a spider I'd hate to lose, especially if it was my own simply mistake.

Additionally, I personally would put it in something even smaller, especially shallower. So much substrate and such a big enclosure would encourage it to burrow, and that means less prey interaction and slower growth rate. Considering how slow they grow already, I can't imagine how slow they'd grow in conditions that encouraged hiding.

Finally, when you use a water bowl for them, it's best to bury they bowl a bit so it's more level with the substrate. It's just easier for them to drink that way.

Regardless, good luck with your little one! They're a lovely species
Thank you for the advice but since they do like to burrow I figured burrowing should be encouraged? Should I not put any hide in there?

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
I took a pin and put duct tape on the end so it's easier to push it through different plastics.

Attachments

Darby Stevens

Arachnopeon
I took a pin and put duct tape on the end so it's easier to push it through different plastics.
That’s perfect! I was wondering how to get the holes small. Also a 16 oz deli cup would work better from all of the advice I can see correct? But more substrate the better? Also hide or no hide

I have multiple deli cups now, 16oz would be better?

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
thin finishing nails(brads) held with a vise grip and heated work pretty well too. Yes they like to burrow but you don't need to go that deep. You are on the right track though

Darby Stevens

Arachnopeon
thin finishing nails(brads) held with a vise grip and heated work pretty well too. Yes they like to burrow but you don't need to go that deep. You are on the right track though
looks good and nice manicure:)
lol thank you! Hard work goes into these nails 😂 I’ll be posting another pic of the final container just in case I want this perfect

Okay revised yet again! Now it’s a 16oz deli cup. Any other changes I should do? Maybe a little less substrate?

Attachments

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Looks really good to me. Substrate level looks good, holes are nice, small and plentiful, it has a hide.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you for the advice but since they do like to burrow I figured burrowing should be encouraged? Should I not put any hide in there?
They can certainly be little bulldozers, but they aren't a fossorial species, so it isn't detrimental to them to not have deep substrate. Plus, they'll dig even in more shallow substrate, so it's not like you're totally depriving them.

The fact is, most slings will burrow when small. In the wild, it's a survival tactic since they're small and vulnerable. But in captivity, they don't have to worry about predation so burrowing isn't exactly necessary. Since they don't have complex enough brains to understand that there is no threat to them and that burrowing is unnecessary, it's up to us to provide setups that make them feel comfortable while still working for us.

A small enclosure is mutually beneficial because it feels small and secure for the sling (they'll interpret that as their burrow, rather than needing to make one for themselves) and makes it easier for them to find food, and it provides us with constant visibility and helps the tarantula grow faster since it finds food easier. And as the tarantula puts on size, it will feel less vulnerable and will therefore be less inclined to burrow and hide.

Personally, with small slings I don't think hides are necessary for the reasons I've listed. In a small enclosure, they'll adopt the entire thing as their hide