i have questions about breeding A.Avic

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i got female avic avic a few weeks ago who is mature,and just molted about a month ago,so i wanted to breed her as my first breeding attempt.however,i have absolutely no experience at breeding Ts.i breed leopard geckos,but have never bred any spider other than L.Hesperus(western black widow),which was like stupid easy.some questions i have are:

1) how do i pair them,and what do i pair them in?
2)how long do i leave them male in for?
3)how long does it take for the female to lay the sac?
4)do i leave the sac with the female,or pull it and incubate it?if i leave it with her,how long do i leave it in there?and if i incubate it,when do i incubate it,and how do i incubate it?

i would appreciate ANY help on breeding these as my first invert breeding.if you can add anything,feel free to!thanks!

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Have you checked out the breeding reports for A. avic? There should be good info there. :D

venomous.com

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
1) how do i pair them,and what do i pair them in?
2)how long do i leave them male in for?
4)do i leave the sac with the female,or pull it and incubate it?if i leave it with her,how long do i leave it in there?and if i incubate it,when do i incubate it,and how do i incubate it?
1. You can either introduce the male into the females cage or put them both in a breeding tub. Doesn't matter as far as I can tell, I've done both

2. You can cohabitate them for a week or put them in the tub and remove the male when he's done.

3. ~3 weeks if successful

4. Leave the sac with female for 30 days. You can incubate by putting the eggs into a coffee filter, then put that into a small container which you put into a larger container lined with damp paper towels. I use a small rubbermaid cup with the filter/eggs in, inside of a large rubbermaid bowl. Put the lid on large bowl loosely for a little ventilation and lots of humidity. You can separate the slings at second instar

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
3. ~3 weeks if successful
I have quoted my breeding report below with my timeline...it took far longer than three weeks for my female to drop. (final pairing 10/07/09-sac produced 01/21/2010). Every individual will lay in it's own time. How soon it will happen is dependant upon many factors and it can be difficult to give an estimate.

4. Leave the sac with female for 30 days.
I left mine with my girl for 53 days, and still only had eggs with legs (My temperatures were between 70-73F). If you are comfortable with incubation, then 30 days should be a decent time to pull the sac. ptviperz describes a good incubation method, but there are several others. Running a search should give you plenty of ideas, then you can choose which method you feel most confident/comfortable with.

Successful: Yes.
Any special care, or preliminary notes for the lovers: Male and female were both fed heavily prior to introduction.
How they were paired: All pairings took place inside the female's enclosure and were closely supervised. I had previously observed the female displaying some testy behavior toward the male, so I was prepared to rescue him if necessary.
Any observations on the hookup: The first pairing occurred very quickly. Both were eager and very receptive. They were first paired on September 24, 2009, and again on three subsequent occasions, with the final pairing on October 7, 2009. During the final pairing, the female was a bit reluctant, but eventually allowed at least one insertion.
Any special post mating care: The female was rehoused twice due to a Tapinoma melanocephalum (ghost ant) infestation.
Time to sac: The sac was producted on January 21, 2010.
Care of the the sac: I left the sac with the female until March 15, 2010.
Time to emerge/hatch: When I pulled the sac on day 53, I had nice fat eggs with legs.
The final details: I have still not counted them, but all appear to be healthy and are currently darkening up in preparation for molt. I would estimate that there are 75 or so post-embryos.

Mom and dad's last date:

Last photo of dad (running for the hills after mom threatened to munch him):

Mom with her babies:

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Check my breeding report I have videos of the pairing... avics avics are pretty much stupid easy too. Don't be too narcissistic, they do all the work and know what is necessary. We just baby sit them.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Ms. X are you refering to the photos there as eggs with legs? (post embryo) I believe those are considered 1st instar. Eggs w/ legs do not have spinnerets. They only have carapace with legs attached to the egg (eggs with legs).

venomous.com

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have quoted my breeding report below with my timeline...it took far longer than three weeks for my female to drop. (final pairing 10/07/09-sac produced 01/21/2010). Every individual will lay in it's own time. How soon it will happen is dependant upon many factors and it can be difficult to give an estimate.
I should have said that it can be as quick as 3 weeks, thanks for pointing out my mistake. Looking at my records, my female dropped the sac at 5 weeks.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine took 28 days to drop a sac.. She was paired once with a male.. 28 days later.. She constructed an nice egg sac containing 122 eggs.. 118 are still kicking..