I have Brown Widows... Dunno what to do...

KenTheOtherBugGuy

Arachnosquire
Hi... so yeah... a mommy Brown Widow and her kids... 2 egg sacs have hatched. There were 5 egg sacs..eeeeh.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Want them?;p
Nah my man, for those reasons:

- I live in another continent, so that would be 'brown boxing'

- ain't a fan at all of 'true spiders' in all honesty

- just in my Lombardy neighbour region of Liguria, we have Latrodectus tredecimguttatus in the wild

- in Italy the keeping of pot venom arachnids (and genus Latrodectus are) is banned

KenTheOtherBugGuy

Arachnosquire
Nah my man, for those reasons:

- I live in another continent, so that would be 'brown boxing'

- ain't a fan at all of 'true spiders' in all honesty

- just in my Lombardy neighbour region of Liguria, we have Latrodectus tredecimguttatus in the wild

- in Italy the keeping of pot venom arachnids (and genus Latrodectus are) is banned
You can feed it to your Ts..hah...Especially slings, they're a good but okay size for slings...right??

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You can feed it to your Ts..hah...Especially slings, they're an good but okay size for slings...right??
Uhm... micro crickets are by far more cheaper :kiss:

seriously now, you can however sell them, no? I mean, isn't banned the keeping of said genus in the U.S (probably aside certain particular exceptions).

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Unless the brown widows are infesting your tarantula cages, this might be more appropriately placed in the True Spiders & Other Arachnids Forum: http://arachnoboards.com/forums/true-spiders-other-arachnids.12/

As for what to do with them, you can just leave them be. The young will cannibalize each other until the population is down to manageable numbers. Yes, it sounds terrible, just letting them eat each other - but really, they're going to have to kill and eat something to survive, so what difference does it make if they eat unwanted sac mates - or fruit flies or crickets or other bugs?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
This belongs in the true spiders and other arachnids forum.

Also, those are an invasive species and should be destroyed. They are causing harm by displacing native widow species.

High Lord Dee

Arachnosquire
I am going to have to with Chanda here. Now that they are alive you have responsibility to the hobby. As an avid widow collector, I pay good money for my widows just to enjoy their short lives. In the future, if you do not want to raise the slings, pull the sacs and freeze them. Brown's are the most common widows now so only go for $10 or do but you should let them grow and find a reseller to take them off your hands. They would at least give you a credit for them if you are into T's or scorps over the trues.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
They are invasive? Where do they originate from?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
They are invasive?
Is a pigs arse pork? Is a chickens arse foul? Do bears poop in the woods? Is the Pope Catholic?

Geo's are alien life forms, determined to take over the planet. Just watch.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I had no idea.
Brown widows are prolific breeders and seem to be displacing the native black widows wherever they spread.

I used to find black widows (Latrodectus mactans) in South Carolina on a regular basis. Now if I see a widow, it's 99% likely to be a brown widow (Latrodectus geometricus).

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Their venom is less toxic, I was under the opposite impression. Thx for the article!

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Brown widows are prolific breeders and seem to be displacing the native black widows wherever they spread.

I used to find black widows (Latrodectus mactans) in South Carolina on a regular basis. Now if I see a widow, it's 99% likely to be a brown widow (Latrodectus geometricus).
Yes, I noticed the same thing here in SoCal. I used to find black widows in my garage and shed all the time - until the brown widows moved in. Then the true black widows became a lot less common. (Of course, once the cellar spiders moved into the garage, there was also a noticeable decline in the brown widow population.) The browns also seem to have replaced the blacks at my kids' school - which isn't altogether a bad thing, given that they sometimes web underneath the picnic tables, in the handrails and fences, and underneath the playground equipment.

Although I am generally pro-spider, I have squashed a number of widows for being in places where little fingers might easily end up - and have encouraged the school to spray the handrails on the staircases, which seem to be a very popular widow nesting spot. The browns aren't nearly as picky as the blacks about finding a secluded hidey-hole and will settle for anything that's semi-sheltered, making them much more likely to run afoul of one of the kids.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Welcome to the world of keeping trues. You start with one female, you end with 2000 babies :rofl: