I have an issue!

Bread

Arachnopeon
I have a situation, one of my central heating pipes has ruptured.
I have a tiny oil heater (800w) but it's struggling to keep the room temperature up (it's 25f outside)

It's holding the room at 55f atm (its a 30ftx30ft room so its quite large)
will that be okay till I can get it sorted tomorrow? (the temp could drop another few degrees overnight)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Not like there's much you can do other than buy another heater. Personally, I'd buy a larger heater at Walmart (or somewhere with an easy return process) and return it when all this is sorted out. If you've mostly got NW arid species, though, those temperatures probably won't cause any harm. I've put mine through worse.

Bread

Arachnopeon
The problem there is, its gone 10pm, everywhere in the UK is shut :/
I do have one idea, I have some old pc parts I used for mining ages back, including three 290x gpus, im going to build a pc from the old bits and stick the gpu's in, then leave heaven benchmark running, should warm the room up some.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
55 Fahrenheit is only 13 C or so, no? That´s quite cold for a tarantula. Can you move them to the bathroom or something until tomorrow?

Bread

Arachnopeon
I think I've solved it, my gf said to me "why don't you put the tent (little 3m square one) up in the room and put the T's and the heater in the tent!
the mercury is up to 80f already :p

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
I think I've solved it, my gf said to me "why don't you put the tent (little 3m square one) up in the room and put the T's and the heater in the tent!
the mercury is up to 80f already :p
Be careful not to burn your house down. :astonished:

Methal

Arachnosquire
It also depends on what hemisphere you're tarantulas are from. if they have a winter cycle they might be just fine.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
How many tarantulas do you have and how big are they? If its not a huge number and they're small you could try the heat bath method that @cold blood has talked about in the past.

Bread

Arachnopeon
Ive about five 2-3cm. Ten from 3-10cm and 25 10cm+. A few pokies in there but mostly OW.

The temps seem fine in the tent now. Ill get the heating fixed tomorrow. :)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
The problem there is, its gone 10pm, everywhere in the UK is shut :/
I do have one idea, I have some old pc parts I used for mining ages back, including three 290x gpus, im going to build a pc from the old bits and stick the gpu's in, then leave heaven benchmark running, should warm the room up some.
Burning crude oil would be more environmentally friendly :rofl:

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
ironically my room is almost entirely heated by my server. confirmed works.

Bread

Arachnopeon
All fixed, two pipes had gone inside the boiler, one had leaked water down the back of my sink -.-

In the end they fitted a new boiler and a bunch of 'mainline' 40mm piping (whatever that means) to a branch thermostat which means I can control the individual room temps digitally from my phone \o/.
In and out in 4hours!, and a bill of $6400!!, (Only paid the first $400 ish, British gas insurance proved it's worth for once!)