I have a striped knee tarantula and I was wondering if someone could tell me if it’s going to shed in the near future

Quinnscorpionempress

Arachnopeon
It's not shed it's termed molt or moult if you're from the U.K.

Need to use scientific names not common. Yours could be Aphonopelma seemanni but not sure just based off a common name..

Doesn't appear to be close to molting soon however.

Could you take a photo of the entire enclosure please?
Alright thank you, also I thought I put molt not shed.

I meant to say molt not shed. Also it is a Aphonopelma seemanni.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I meant to say molt not shed. Also it is a Aphonopelma seemanni.
It's all good, wasn't trying to come off mean.

Could you post some photos of the entire enclosure? Also have you measured your tarantula diagonally, (longest front leg diagonally to the longest back leg)?

Quinnscorpionempress

Arachnopeon

Could you post some photos of the entire enclosure? Also have you measured your tarantula diagonally, (longest front leg diagonally to the longest back leg)?
I have not measured the trantula, at least 4 or 5 inches image.jpg image.jpg

The enclosure is around 2- 2 and a half feet long

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
The enclosure is around 2- 2 and a half feet long
Ok I'm going to offer you advice but please don't be offended in anyway.

2 to 2.5 ft length wise is way too big for a 4 to 5 inch tarantula. Go online and look up a large and extra large Kritter Keeper. Look at those dimensions. I have my 5 inch tarantulas in extra large Exo Terra Faunariums and it's perfect for their size.

You want the substrate closer to the top. Think of this, if the tarantula's longest back legs are standing on the surface and it's longest front legs touch just the top where the lid connects that's the ideal substrate depth you need.

The screen lid although not as bad as screen mesh is still not recommended to use.

Coco fiber is what I would use like Eco Earth or Reptisoil. You want the substrate moist but not drenched. No hard objects in the enclosure. Just have a corkbark hide and scoop the substrate out from under it with your hand or spoon to create a starter burrow. It probably won't use it at it's size but it's better to have it than not.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That T is going to die in that box. It's INADEQUATE for keeping a T in a safe environment jesus christ. RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH

Substrate needs to be NO MORE THAN 1.5X THE DLS OF THE T

ABSOLUTELY no one can tell you when it will molt. Given you are the billion person to ask this....begs question- WHY do you want to know? Just curious...what will you do differently if anything at all, if you know it's going to molt next month on Feb 1.

Quinnscorpionempress

Arachnopeon
That T is going to die in that box. It's INADEQUATE for keeping a T in a safe environment jesus christ. RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH

Substrate needs to be NO MORE THAN 1.5X THE DLS OF THE T

ABSOLUTELY no one can tell you when it will molt. Given you are the billion person to ask this....begs question- WHY do you want to know? Just curious...what will you do differently if anything at all, if you know it's going to molt next month on Feb 1.
<edit> I have done my research, I have followed the instructions from a dude on YouTube named trantula collective. And I just want to know when my spider will molt, it’s always nice to know because I want to know when I should prepare for a molt, <edit>

Ok I'm going to offer you advice but please don't be offended in anyway.

2 to 2.5 ft length wise is way too big for a 4 to 5 inch tarantula. Go online and look up a large and extra large Kritter Keeper. Look at those dimensions. I have my 5 inch tarantulas in extra large Exo Terra Faunariums and it's perfect for their size.

You want the substrate closer to the top. Think of this, if the tarantula's longest back legs are standing on the surface and it's longest front legs touch just the top where the lid connects that's the ideal substrate depth you need.

The screen lid although not as bad as screen mesh is still not recommended to use.

Coco fiber is what I would use like Eco Earth or Reptisoil. You want the substrate moist but not drenched. No hard objects in the enclosure. Just have a corkbark hide and scoop the substrate out from under it with your hand or spoon to create a starter burrow. It probably won't use it at it's size but it's better to have it than not.
Thank you for the advice. I have followed a youtuber by the name of trantula collective, I have followed his guide, on the enclosure being a 5-10 gallon, filling the substrate a little over half way, and I have done a lot of personal research, also he is 6 inches roughly, i measured recently.

Also I have that big of an enclosure mostly because he loves to make tunnels from one entrance to another, he digs a lot. I will say it seems to me, and the research that I have done for months, is that my set up is pretty solid, except I might need to get some better dirt, other then that, thank you for the advice and have a great night.

Also i know it’s not going to molt soon, so if you are going to comment, don’t comment if it’s going to molt soon or not, thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Also i know it’s not going to molt soon, so if you are going to comment, don’t comment if it’s going to molt soon or not, thank you
No comment on molting. However there are some things I should let you know and it's very important.

Please be very leary of Youtoob. Tom Moran of Tom's Big Spiders is the only one to watch and learn from there. Just about all others are sources of bad information and bad examples. Tarantula Colloctive is one of them.

Guy Tansley is also another person to watch from bugsandstuff if you want to see the habitats tarantulas live in the wild.

Another source that is just as bad if not worse than youtoob is Facebokk. Extremely horrible groups that actually promote horrendous husbandry.

There is a reason I'm misspelling those sources.

Anyways don't get offended. Members here are very passionate about tarantulas and will never attack you on a personal level. Your husbandry yes, you personally no.

There's members here that have been keeping tarantulas for decades so it's wise to listen. Also you can use the search feature located at the top of AB to find information, looks like a magnifying glass.

Finally welcome to AB and congratulations on having a tarantula.

pongdict

Arachnosquire
Thank you for the advice. I have followed a youtuber by the name of trantula collective, I have followed his guide, on the enclosure being a 5-10 gallon, filling the substrate a little over half way, and I have done a lot of personal research, also he is 6 inches roughly, i measured recently.
Must be the angle of the photo or not, but it looks like it is less than half way filled. Add more substrate, A. seemanis love to dig! They are an obligate burrower.

Quinnscorpionempress

Arachnopeon
Must be the angle of the photo or not, but it looks like it is less than half way filled. Add more substrate, A. seemanis love to dig! They are an obligate burrower.
Yeah I just realized I should add some more, thank you

No comment on molting. However there are some things I should let you know and it's very important.

Please be very leary of Youtoob. Tom Moran of Tom's Big Spiders is the only one to watch and learn from there. Just about all others are sources of bad information and bad examples. Tarantula Colloctive is one of them.

Guy Tansley is also another person to watch from bugsandstuff if you want to see the habitats tarantulas live in the wild.

Another source that is just as bad if not worse than youtoob is Facebokk. Extremely horrible groups that actually promote horrendous husbandry.

There is a reason I'm misspelling those sources.

Anyways don't get offended. Members here are very passionate about tarantulas and will never attack you on a personal level. Your husbandry yes, you personally no.

There's members here that have been keeping tarantulas for decades so it's wise to listen. Also you can use the search feature located at the top of AB to find information, looks like a magnifying glass.

Finally welcome to AB and congratulations on having a tarantula.
Thank you

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Viper is one of the most prominent members here and can seem a little abrasive from time to time, what matters is he gives good advice when he thinks it is worth his time ;)

You are entitled to your own opinions but the mesh lid for example is a big red flag as is the potential fall risk.

That doesnt mean you have to change it but maybe you should try to figure out why that is first before snapping back....

anyway good luck, i wish you the best

Quinnscorpionempress

Arachnopeon
Viper is one of the most prominent members here and can seem a little abrasive from time to time, what matters is he gives good advice when he thinks it is worth his time ;)

You are entitled to your own opinions but the mesh lid for example is a big red flag as is the potential fall risk.

That doesnt mean you have to change it but maybe you should try to figure out why that is first before snapping back....

anyway good luck, i wish you the best
Maybe I was being being a little rude yes, but the lid won’t matter mostly because they love to go into the ground, I can show you pictures of his hides that he made if you want to.

pongdict

Arachnosquire
Maybe I was being being a little rude yes, but the lid won’t matter mostly because they love to go into the ground, I can show you pictures of his hides that he made if you want to.
Thing is, when the lights are off and no one is watching no one is 100% sure that he won't climb up. Too many instances Ts stuck on mesh lids posted here. It is better safe than sorry IMO.

Quinnscorpionempress

Arachnopeon
Thing is, when the lights are off and no one is watching no one is 100% sure that he won't climb up. Too many instances Ts stuck on mesh lids posted here. It is better safe than sorry IMO.
You do bring up a good point, but I have seen him always be in his hide, he stays for weeks, even months, then he goes to the surface and goes to another hide to rinse and repeat. Also what lid what I get in that case, because I would like to know just in case.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
There are many options, most people here will recommend a sheet of acrylic with drilled holes across the top but there are other options that work just as well, advice here will be kept simple and foolproof most of the time which is a good thing but if you think you have a good idea it doesn't hurt to suggest it and get feedback about whether it has been tried and the results that way

edit: oh and keep it civil, the mods care and will step in if there is swearing or other agressive behaviour detected, this is a place of knowledge not a facebook discussion, you will most likely get a warining for the things you said earlier

Quinnscorpionempress

Arachnopeon
There are many options, most people here will recommend a sheet of acrylic with drilled holes across the top but there are other options that work just as well, advice here will be kept simple and foolproof most of the time which is a good thing but if you think you have a good idea it doesn't hurt to suggest it and get feedback about whether it has been tried and the results that way

edit: oh and keep it civil, the mods care and will step in if there is swearing or other agressive behaviour detected, this is a place of knowledge not a facebook discussion, you will most likely get a warining for the things you said earlier
Alright thank you.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Your young and you probably didn't read the 'Terms of Service'. You can't call people names as that will get you suspended or banned.

Unlike social media sites this site is different. It's for the welfare of tarantulas not a chat room/forum to say anything.

Imagine this being a site for the welfare of...let's say dogs. If someone came out and posted photos of their dog tied on a 3 foot chain at the very back of their yard by the woods during a thunderstorm people are going to get fired up. Same thing here just a different animal.

You have to take criticism on husbandry. You also have to realize no one is calling you names or criticizing you on a personal level. It's for the welfare of the animal.

Last edited by a moderator: