I Have A QUESTION

SpiderGirl-13

Arachnopeon
I know this is a controversial question but I just want opinions, I have a female Rosie and I want to know if I should pick it up or not, I've had her for one or two weeks and it seems like it has a pretty good temperament:D .

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sure

Yea sure go ahead and hold her. They are good temperment but dont spook her because i spooked mine one time and it was meaner than a cobalt and OBT combined haha!! {D

james41777

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes, just be careful not to DROP her!
i don't know about other roseas but i'm sure you can handle ur rosie without any problems.. :) good luck

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Sure, go for it. Just be calm, and do it directly over a bed for awhile, so its safer for her.

-Sean

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I never handle mine but Ive known people that do , Some daily and it never seemed to hurt anything. Most of them are very calm. I just happened to get one thats got a split personality.

chilean

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hold rosie

I left my rosie alone for a good week, then i attempted to pick her up, i gently put my hand in front of her and tickled her back legs, she did a comlete 180 away from my hand (but not in a defensive way at all), tried again, same thing, she ended up climbing the glass and i let her walk onto my hand, held her for a couple of minutes, letting her walk from one hand to another, did the 'climb on glass' thing a couple more times, now she just needs a little coaxing to walk onto my hand from her aquarium substrate, never attacked, and never felt threatened

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would. Interacting with my T's is my favorite thing about having them.

You've got plenty of good tips to pick her up here. Heed them.

peterspiderling

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well, im agensts picking tarantulas up cos i dont think its right and they would'nt get handled in the wild so why do it in captivity. thats whati think anyways.
but, why not like ini :D

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Holdsie the Rosie...

I say go for it! I've held tarantulas of all sizes numerous times and have never had a problem with dropping them or anything. My only advise on the matter would be that if you should decide to pick it up... make sure your seated on the floor or something this way in case it spooks you or something and drop it, the likelyhood in injury to the tarantula is lessened. I also suggest that if you do it... DO NOT use garden gloves or anything. Use your bear hands. With gloves on it's more difficult to actually feel the movements of the tarantula and you may once again risk injury to it. I've seen people use gloves and it makes no sence to me... It's like they'd rather use gloves, be afraid and risk injury to the tarantula then not wear gloves, be comfortable and ensure saftey. One last thing... just make sure your tarantula has a full belly and isn't hungry. Better safe than sorry! :D

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think everyone who keeps T's should handle them sometimes, just in case there is a situation when you really need to- you don't want that to be your first time! And always remember-- just because your T hasn't tagged you before, there is always the chance it will, so check out it's mood before you try to pick it up.....every time!

Squeaksville

Arachnopeon
well, im agensts picking tarantulas up cos i dont think its right and they would'nt get handled in the wild so why do it in captivity. thats whati think anyways.
but, why not like ini :D
Good point! Your right they don't get handled in the wild but honestly they wouldn't be in captivity either if it wasn't for humans. :confused: So since we do have them I would suggest trying it. Hell everyone I've heard that had or has a rosie had said they are like "pet rocks", very calm, don't do anything aggressive. (Except yours jr47){D LOL By all means I'm not saying they can't (since again they are wild animals) but at least attempt it. I have a b. smithi and eventually I would like to hold him. (Just gotta work up the nerve):rolleyes:

illy

Arachnopeon
if youre confident enough -> give it a try
but rosies can be stubborn :} , last week i got out my rosea (which i have for 14 years now and which gets handled very frequently) for a foto
i took the pic, she posed as a pro as usual but when i wanted to put her back in -> she raised her front legs, spred her teeth (never seen an open mouth like that) and hissed (stridulated) me an offensive song ; it took me 5 min to realize what id just seen rofl -> im telling this not to frighten anybody just to say always be on guard and respect the mood your critter is in

have fun with handling (i got 10 T's and i handled 9), its a hot debate but if you do it with consideration : its the cherry on the cake imo

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know this is a controversial question but I just want opinions, I have a female Rosie and I want to know if I should pick it up or not, I've had her for one or two weeks and it seems like it has a pretty good temperament:D .
do you feel comfortable doing so?
does she give you threat postures?
are you willing to deal with the possibility of a bite?

if you can answer Yes, No, and Yes...then sure, go ahead.