i have a question

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This comes from the "Welcome to Arachnoboards" post regarding general notes on posting. http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=44878

"PLEASE utilize the SEARCH function before posting. We've been around a while and chances are your question may have been asked and answered already. If what you find is not quite the answer you're looking for, you will at least be in the position to ask a more detailed question, which will lead to a more detailed answer."

If people would read a little bit of information about the forum after joining then we wouldn't be discussing this. It's pretty cut and dry.

Lover of 8 legs

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's always been my contention on here. If someone asks a question, they're laying bare their souls. If a friend asks a sincere question do you refer them to a time in the past when you answered that same inquiry for another friend. If to repeat an answer is too much trouble then hang out elsewhere. If the rule here is that a question can only be discussed once, then we ceased to exist many moons ago!!!!!!{D {D {D {D

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If people would read a little bit of information about the forum after joining then we wouldn't be discussing this. It's pretty cut and dry.

I think that's the point that some of the others are trying to make. If people just looked up the answer, there would be no discussion. This would be more of an encyclopedia than a forum, no feedback at all. The problem is, with so many authors, the information contained within is notoriously difficult to sort through what with spelling errors, differences in language, and other problems that aren't that easy to rectify. I have been here long enough to know that asking questions here is redundant. I don't belive that anybody could think of a question that hasn't been asked before.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
i agree with mike (pyst), i don't tell people to use the search in a nasty way or anything, and if someone says they tried searching and still needed to ask then that is fine. but the reason i even went as far as putting something in my signature about using the search button is that i can't tell you how many times i see a thread about a particular topic and then not even 5 spots down is a thread about the SAME thing that was started a couple hours earlier or the day before. i never understand it.. :wall: i don't go into those threads and say "you're an idiot, theres already threads, use the search!" but sometimes i will mention the search feature. :)

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i'm pretty sure that AB uses a boolean search so you may want to look up how to use that. I get great results when i include boolean words in my advanced searches.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't have a problem with using the search function, however I do seem to have a problem finding anything useful with it.
I have never, and never will, told anyone to use the search function. I've had it done to me and I didn't like it since I HAD tried the search function using as many different ways to phase my question as I possibly could.
I do think that the "use the search" is said way to much. I always assume, that like me, it these people ask the questions, it is because they could not find the answers they were looking for.
Why not answer their questions? So what if you have heard the question a hundred times before? They haven't heard your answer a hundred times. If you don't want to help newbies, then don't read their threads.
People are going to ask questions, you are going to have heard some of them before. That is why this is a discussion. Questions are asked, answers given, opinions stated. That is what it is supposed to be.
I enjoy answering the questions that I can. First and foremost in my mind is helping newbies so that their interest in the hobby that I love can and will grow. Then they will interest more people and so on and so on.......it is in all of our best interests for our hobby to grow. Giving new people pat answers that say clearly that they are wasting our time does not help.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
All of you are right.

I know, seems a strange response from someone not known for diplomacy.

But here's why...
We do need new members and new ideas to keep talking about.

*but*

We simultaneously risk shutting out experienced members who are truly tired of the same questions and giving the same answers time and time again.

Whomever said that there are no stupid questions was a liar or a fool.

Which is why the search function *is* generally a solid idea. Think of it as a filter that helps to keep the boards more stimulating but still informative.

We want our members to feel comfortable in asking questions but we also want the members asking them to be putting in the same effort as those that have answered (and are still answering) those inquiries.

This way, we offer a higher-quality experience for all involved from the newbie to the dealer to the field researcher.

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very well put Sheri. Thanks for the reply.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You make good points Sheri. I do understand both sides of this issue. I know that it gets tiring seeing the same old questions over and over again. I skip them pretty regularly since I can guess what they say just from the title.

That being said, I think that some of the newbies (and not so newbies)don't feel comfortable asking questions because they know that someone will tell them to use the search function, which is probably why this thread was started in the first place.

I don't think there's an easy answer here. I'm pretty sure that the more experienced keepers will keep seeing the questions that they are tired of and people will keep posting them without checking the other threads first. One thing that I notice about this board that other boards I belong tocan't compete with is the lack of trolls. I don't know how you guys keep them at bay, but you are to be commended for it. Some of the other boards I belong to are constantly under attack by trolls. You guys are on top in that regard.

The way it looks to me, this is one of the finest forums out there with some of the most intelligent people out there being members. Some of the discussions on here really baffle me in their complexity and I know that it takes a great deal of experience to gain the knowledge that is used to answer the questions asked of the members. I can certainly understand how members who can launch an answer that looks straight out of a scientific paper (and sometimes actually are a scientific paper) would get realy bored discussing bark for a substrate, or how come a rosie doesn't move. Challenging it ain't. Maybe both sides can come to a compromise although that won't be easy to do considering some people will ask the same questions regardless. Maybe the current members could make a more concerted effort to look for the answers to their questions before posting another "what's a great first T" thread. There is enough information available here to answer questions like that without creating a new thread, no doubt.

One thing to mention though, the members of this forum seem to be the cream of the crop, the best of the best, at least when it comes to raising arachnids. People look here when they have questions. This is a research site as well as a meeting place for people with unusual pets. People look up to some of the members here and I know they impress the hell out of me frequently. This means that those members are ambassadors for the arachnid community whether they like it or not. I would ask that they be as compassionate as possible even to the people that annoy them with the same old questons. Give a little bit more than that same old phrase. Maybe some information that may be appreciated but wasn't asked for. Maybe a thanks for considering this forum over others. Just some little things to keep from scaring people off. It won't take too long and people will appreciate it I'm sure.

I hope that nobody takes offense at what I say and I do understand both sides of this issue, I really do.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
one great place to go if you need to ask a question is the chat room. i used to go in there all the time and drive leanne crazy with my beginner questions all the time. ;P

its great..you don't need to start a new thread, and you can get your answer immediately most of the time.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
And this is true as well, of the senior members.

Some may snap back with a "use the search function" to new members undeservedly.

There are some (and you'll know who they are) that are continually posting the same types of questions without even showing the slightest indication of previous research.

And sometimes, older members don't take the time to try and sift between the difference - this is something that certainly can lead to a rift between new and senior members.

I'd suggest to new members that fear being lashed at, to just show that you've done a little research.

For example;

I'd really like to have an indication of what species this could be. I searched and found several threads about the Haplopelma genus but it I'm really confused. Was there a new species added or was there a taxonomical revision? I want to confirm this is Haplopelma as I know they require a lot of substrate to burrow in and a higher humidity.
A question phrased like that shows that;
1) You did try and find some answers yourself
2) You value other members time to explain a little bit thereby encouraging them to respond
3) You've phrased your question using reasonable spelling and grammar

That kind of post will generate better responses in terms of quantity and quality... as opposed to:

OMEGA. I just got the most kickin' evil spider from the pet shop. Hahahaha. They said it was a Chinese Monster Tiger Striped Devil - I hope it doesn't bite me! What is it?
Ok, that was an extreme example, but I'm pretty certain that you know exactly what I mean. :)

Just some friendly tips on how to engage our members and how to generate the kind of information you're seeking.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi i know this sounds a silly question but what is a TROLLS ? as in boards under attack from them ? as i never seen that word used on this sight untill now :? :? :confused: :confused: === phil

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
"An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Forum Troll delights in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion."

Definition courtesy of curezone.com. More explination if needed.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
hi i know this sounds a silly question but what is a TROLLS ? as in boards under attack from them ? as i never seen that word used on this sight untill now :? :? :confused: :confused: === phil
Use the search button for crying out loud!:wall:

Just kidding. Your question has already been anwered so just ignore me.:D

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
And this is true as well, of the senior members.

Some may snap back with a "use the search function" to new members undeservedly.

There are some (and you'll know who they are) that are continually posting the same types of questions without even showing the slightest indication of previous research.

And sometimes, older members don't take the time to try and sift between the difference - this is something that certainly can lead to a rift between new and senior members.

I'd suggest to new members that fear being lashed at, to just show that you've done a little research.

For example;

A question phrased like that shows that;
1) You did try and find some answers yourself
2) You value other members time to explain a little bit thereby encouraging them to respond
3) You've phrased your question using reasonable spelling and grammar

That kind of post will generate better responses in terms of quantity and quality... as opposed to:

Ok, that was an extreme example, but I'm pretty certain that you know exactly what I mean. :)

Just some friendly tips on how to engage our members and how to generate the kind of information you're seeking.

This is the best post so far on this thread. I think it's the most helpful thing anybody has said so far. If there was more effort put into the question, the answer would probably get more effort as well. Great post and I hope everyone reads it.

NeitherSparky

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree that it was a good response as well. I also run a forum, using a vBulletin system, and believe me you can tell when someone made ZERO effort to try and find an answer on their own. On top of that when they just post a comment or question randomly into the currently topmost thread regardless of its topic...well, that just makes me go :embarrassed:

I'm sorry if people telling you your question has been answered and to do a search is irritating. But it does tell you to at least give it a try before posting in the Welcome thread for the forum. I get a lot of members who can't be bothered to read through my forum's rules and FAQ before they start posting and I frankly have no sympathy for them. I understand being eager but not even reading a forum's pertinent threads is kinda...disrepectful. :( I mean, posting without first doing a search and being reminded to do so is nothing compared to outright breaking an important rule and being banned, isn't it?

For my part I pretty much always do a search, then if I can't find the answer I start off my question with "I did a search and couldn't find an answer so forgive me if this has already been addressed", something like that. But then I'm kinda anal...

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you look on ths sidebar next to this forum, there are 25,842 threads total in this forum with 281,170 replies.

Since most questions seem to be answered three or four times within the same thread and since there are multiple threads on the same subject, if there is a one in a million chance (literally) that question could have been answered before you posted the thread then you should search.

The reasons Sheri outlined are the exact reasons I used to rarely post in the tarantula forums. I simply lost interest in this part of the forum because the forums were constantly clogged with the same topics over and over and over and I didn't really like answering the same question over and over and over, especially when (and I've rather rudely pointed this out at times, too) posting another thread takes longer than searching.

Now that I'm getting into the breeding aspect of the hobby, I find myself glancing at the forums before I start searching for info. So far, I've found the answers to any questions I've ever had in the search function.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
same old thing

Well, Im still relatively new, not like some of the greats here with a thousand or more posts, but I admit I look into the forum sometimes 3 or 4 times a day, and Ive noticed myself thinking 'nothing really interesting, same old topic again'. Other times, I get really pulled into a thread. So I can understand senior members who get tired of scanning threads saying the same things. But, newbies can be intimidated by answers like ' use the search'. Comes off as giving them the cold shoulder, even tho it wasnt meant that way. I try to answer newbies as nicely and informatively as I can, within my knowledge, and we do want to help. If I have nothing new to add, or just bored with a certain topic, then I go on to another thread more interesting. Sometimes there just isnt anything new, but thats no reason to brush off a newbie. Ive seen few obvious trolls, and most posts are genuine asking for knowledge or help.

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I always just read down through the pages of posts, rarely does my question not get answered.