i have a question

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
why lately is every anwser use the search function? i belong to alot of forums and they never do that to anyone...it seems all alot of you like to do is flame people or make people feel stupid. the forums are for asking questions. if people wanted to search for something they would google it.
some people are new to the hobby or are just new to this website. and don't know a question was asked and anwserd 1 year and 7 months ago. and it is kinda hard to find things in the search function. i actually was trying to look up how to make a hammock and it took forever. and i didn't find instructions on how to make 1 just mentions of them in text of other posts. so i'm just gonna keep using the search function to see if i can find out how....and if anyone here isn't so full of themselves and would like to give me 2 minutes of their time i would be thankful.

p.s. i'm not talking about all of you just a certain couple of people. and i'm posting here because it seems to happen in the tarantula boards the most often.
sorry if anyone takes this the wrong way, but its how it is
thanks
Tom

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok well here is a thread on what you were looking for.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=17496

But as for why people have been saying more often to refer to the search function is, some of the topics have been beaten into the ground. And if you joined the site today and did not know that topic had been beat into the ground yesterday, its not going to get covered again just for you. If used properly the search function will give you great results............... and keep in mind it only gives results for the section that you are searching.....

The hammock thread was in the articles area of the page.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well done as i notice it to if i can help then i will some times i can not but i know what you mean any way thats why we are hear for ? is it not ? === phil

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm sure I am one of those you are referring to. So many times the same questions get asked over and over numerous times. Sometimes just days apart. There's so much information available here it's mind-boggling. I don't have a problem with newcomers asking questions at all. Matter of fact I really like helping people when I can. Imagine yourself visiting Arachnoboards almost daily for over a year and seeing the same question(s) asked weekly. We are all here to learn. The constant repetition of the same questions only makes it more difficult to use the search function.

If you've tried using the search function and still can't find the information you're needing then by all means make a post saying you've searched and can't find what you're looking for.

I am by no means flaming or trying to make someone feel stupid because they don't know or can't find what they're looking for. I'm still new to the hobby and definitely not full of myself.

-Mike

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i myself have been a member for about 2 years. and i find the same question over and over again to be interseting because.............the anwser is never the same. its always different. and by seeing 12 peoples ways of doing things you can usually figure out 1 bullet proof way to do something. but combining all 12 together. i just guess i was in a bad mood today.

but cheetah13mo made me almost pee myself
check out the pm he sent me
help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for your frustrations.

Try this site.
How to make a hammock
How to make a hammock
Hope this helps.

Jeremy

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
why lately is every anwser use the search function? i belong to alot of forums and they never do that to anyone...it seems all alot of you like to do is flame people or make people feel stupid. the forums are for asking questions. if people wanted to search for something they would google it.
you're not going to find the information on this forum via google as fast or as quickly than if you used the forum search engine. And honestly, you'll get your answer faster by searching the forums than waiting for a response. if you don't find what you're looking for then by all means...ask away. The more repetetive posts that are on this forum the more bandwidth and space is used up by the server...these things cost money, some people donate to the cause to help out if they can. That is another reason some people (myself included) like to point out the search engine feature.

Don't take the suggestion to use the search engine personally and don't let it make you feel dumb...it's not exactly in big bright neon letters saying "here, use me!" (which i really think it should be, it might get more use...but i know a lot of people are lazy too *although the time it takes to type up a new thread would usually yield an answer via search*).

The hammock issue isn't often covered...but posts like "how do you care for a rosie", "is my t getting ready to molt" and so on get old fast and there are literally a bajillion threads already covering that (even in the sticky's).

As was said...new members don't really understand why they get the answers they do because they are just that...new. Someone will always give you an answer to your question but before you post ask yourself, "has this maybe been covered a few times already? is it worth taking up more bandwidth and space just to get a personalized answer to my generic question?" But as I said...the hammock issue doesn't come up often to my knowledge, but questions asking how to care for an A. seemani are repetitive.

Don't be put off by anyone here...you can always use the "ignore" button :D

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i just think its because after a while constant things like "What's a good beginner species?" get a little old. Im pretty sure noone here means it to be mean, or to flame. I think its just pointing it out because noone wants to go over it again, plus it will show people that didnt know already how to search for things to help them out if they need in the future. Often times searching gives a more indepth and much faster response to many questions.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ok well see my point.....if someone ask's how to keep a rosie
then put

"dry with water dish and a hide. next time try the search function. "

i'm not actulaay a nice person and am used to rude people and being rude myself (hey i'm from jersey......were like that) i don't take anything personally but some others might. and alot of posts are anwsered in minutes.(i myself check back hourly).
i've had some people pm me after i first posted this message to thank me for doing so. and i guess they felt the same way but never said anything. the intention of this wasn't specifically for me but just a general thing i think i see too much.

just remember we share having 8+ legged friends in common.
most people don't know anyone with 8 legs.
later guys and gals
tom :4: :5: :1:

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've tried the search feature a few times, and sometimes it works. More often than not I find that it gives me page after page of threads and posts that have very little to do with what I'm looking for. A good example, recently I got three new P. cambridgei and was curious how fast they grow. I typed in every combination of "Psalmopeus cambridgei growth rate" that I could think of and I still don't have an answer. I don't bother asking many questions any more but instead just read the posts and hope someone else asks and gets an answer.

Maybe if there was a section just on care sheets, that might help? Just a thought.

After being on here for a couple of years or so, I find alot of the same questions asked over and over again. I mostly don't read them. I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as some of the people here so I leave the questions for the wiser members. I enjoy reading some of the questions although I agree that some are asked way too often, but the search feature is a little picky and sometimes it just doesn't work. Maybe there is a happy medium somewhere so that everyone can get the info they need without asking the same old questions over and over again, but as long as there's a forum here, that's probably going to happen.

Well, that's my two cents worth and for better or worse, we're all in this together. We're just looking for some information and this is the best place to find it.

pinkzebra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I guess I don't know how to use the search correctly. If I type in what I want to find, I get pages and pages of stuff and somewhere in there it will mention what I wanted. Doesn't seem that quick or easy to me. I personally find it easier to google. At least it takes me to the general area where I can find the information. Though, as I said, I am probably not using the search function correctly.

Thanks for bringing this up, OP.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
How about asking the admin for a section called newbie questions where nobody is allowed to say "use the search" or make any comment on the validity of the question:) .

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Mind you, if those who do reply with "use the search" are frustrated, they don't have to actually respond. Similar advice goes for people who are not finding threads interesting. Posting "I think this has finished" isn't helpful, and just gets people's backs up.

I think the idea of a 'Care-sheet' forum/section is a fantastic idea. Hell, we've got sections devoted to breeding, why not just caring?

With respect to searching: searching is an art-form. You need to know the right key-words to punch in, and the right key-words to limit the thousands of returns you might get. I think it's useful when people reply with links to the appropriate threads, but maybe the 'barbs' about using search functions should be left out. I mean, who called the device used to raise eggs a 'Hamock'? Why not 'incubator'? If you didn't know what you specifically were looking for, it could be a long search.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I guess I don't know how to use the search correctly. If I type in what I want to find, I get pages and pages of stuff and somewhere in there it will mention what I wanted.
Always use advance search, and put search results by post, not thread. So you won't have to dig through the pages to find the post with what your searched for. I actually find it pretty easy, but I guess I'm just used to it.
When I started here, I didn't even know there was a search button. :confused:

Usually people say to use the search function for things like 'Powerfeeding' and 'Water dishes necessary?' type threads, because people just end up arguing and nothing is truly accomplished.
Granted, there are plenty good threads for debating, and it helps, but each topic doesn't need covered every week with a new thread.

If you search for something, and can't find it, the post away. Either we'll find what you're looking for with the search, or answer the question.

-Sean

Last edited:

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You would be amazed at what a hot topic care sheets can be.
A thread from 2005
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=48091&highlight=care+sheet+thread

Generally if I suggest the search function I try to at least give a link or some good keywords to help. If its a subject I am not comfortable giving advice on I will suggest the search. It is in no way putting down the poster, just offering what help I can.

TJPotter

Arachnopeon
/begin joke

You may want to try using the search function, as this question may have already been asked several times. If the search function does not yield specific enough results, you may want to try it again while being more specific and facing west, shaking a chicken foot, and going into wild frenzy of dance at midnight on the first full moon of the year. If that doesn't yield good enough results, you may post your question again with more detail, and take up more bandwidth than you would have if your question had just been answered initially anyways. Oh, and if you do find the majority of information you are looking for in a thread that is two years old, but still leaves you with a few questions, or the thread created new questions in your mind, don't post in them and save bandwidth by not creating a new post, lest you want to be belittled for dragging up old threads. But do feel free to post a new thread with that question, so you can be told to search again.

/end joke

OK... that ran longer then I intended... but oh well...

I figure, people are here to help, and even if a few people are adament about use of the search function, there will still be people that chime in on the common/redundant threads to lend a hand. I personally hate the search function. I have tried many manners of searching and just come up with either tons of post to search through that having nothing to do with what I want, or if I am more specific, I get nada. There seems to be no happy medium.

So, after all that, I still need an answer, I go and post it elsewhere. For me, this forum is for reading, I have another I use for asking.

T

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
some people are new to the hobby or are just new to this website. and don't know a question was asked and anwserd 1 year and 7 months ago. and it is kinda hard to find things in the search function. i actually was trying to look up how to make a hammock and it took forever. and i didn't find instructions on how to make 1 just mentions of them in text of other posts. so i'm just gonna keep using the search function to see if i can find out how....and if anyone here isn't so full of themselves and would like to give me 2 minutes of their time i would be thankful.

p.s. i'm not talking about all of you just a certain couple of people. and i'm posting here because it seems to happen in the tarantula boards the most often.
sorry if anyone takes this the wrong way, but its how it is
thanks
Tom

oh my gods i couldnt agree more!!! well said!!!! :worship: :worship: i STILL dont understand why people do that!!! if it bothers you that peoiple post things repeatedly...then dont bother wasting your time reading/replying to the post and leave that area free for people who are going to post something useful. i dont know how many times i have seen the same post over and over...but i still TRY to post something of use. if i dont have anything that can be helpful...i dont waste my time with it! it really is quite simple. :D

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
How about asking the admin for a section called newbie questions where nobody is allowed to say "use the search" or make any comment on the validity of the question .
Not a bad idea.

I've been here for a few months and have noticed several individuals that seem to be more interested in verbally assaulting others than helping. This is counter productive way beyond using up bandwidth. If new people quit coming here and donating you won't need to worry about bandwidth.

I know the same old questions get old. But new comers should have a place to get this information here without feeling like an idiot. Take it easy on the new guys. It maybe someone like your son or daughter trying to find information.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
If you use the search function with something like "growth rate of such and such a species" then it will search for each word indivdually. You will get posts with just the word growth, or some with just the word rate etc.

You need to enter it like this, "growth and rate and species". It will then come up with threads that only include all of those words. Using the search function is a better idea than posting a question that we've heard a hundred times before because the same people who have already answered the same question before may not be inclined to answer it again. If you search for the answer you will find the responses that have already been given and may not be given again. If after you have searched you still have not found what you are looking for specifically, then by all means post the question.

Another option is to ask a long time member or moderator to help you with your search via pm if you are having trouble. Chances are they might know exactly what you are looking for and can help you find it.

People here aren't trying to come off mean, but I know it can sometimes come out that way. Using the search function is good advice, if used properly it will most likely provide you with many more threads and posts than if you repost the same question again. Just my two cents.:)

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Using the search function is a better idea than posting a question that we've heard a hundred times before because the same people who have already answered the same question before may not be inclined to answer it again.

That's why for the most part I look for answers elsewhere. One thing I find interesting, I've noticed that some people claim that caresheets are worthless but in the same breath they say that people should do the research! I've done alot of research on different animals and for the most part, if you Google any tarantula at all, you either get dealers or .....wait for it........CARE SHEETS! That's right, the very thing that people say are useless. I just have to wonder how much good does it do to get information from something that popular opinion from the veteran keepers says is absolutely useless. As far as the search function goes, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I've seen people say that there should only be three caresheets, Obligate burrowers, terrestrial/opportunistic burrower, and arboreal. Where are these three caresheets? The problem is that good, reliable information can be had on this site, but there are people that would rather give the pat answer "use the search button" instead of help someone get the info they need. As has been stated before, some of the people who ask questions are pretty new to the hobby and what they see in the sentence "use the search function" is "I don't have time to talk to newbies, do it yourself". These might be people who have no idea what they are doing and are forced to fall back on the infamous caresheets which apparently are useless to harmful to downright dangerous. A little time and patience won't kill anybody and who knows, someone might turn out to be a friend.

Whatever is said here won't make a difference one way or another, I've learned that from other forums as well as this one. People feel very strongly about their opinions and they won't be swayed one way or another. I suppose this debate will go down with the powerfeeding, feeding live mice, how to care for a rosie, handling hots, and several other threads that are destined to go nowhere at all. There will be no resolution and that's ok I guess. That's the point of a forum in the first place, to discuss and debate. If there ever was a resolution I suppose the forum would get really quiet and nobody would have much to say.