I have a question about this Tarantula Keeper Blog

The Amazing Me

Arachnopeon
http://tarantulakeeper.blogspot.com/2008/12/top-10-beginners-tarantulas.html By Tarantula Keeper Blogs

I am a rookie looking into getting a tarantula. So I have been reading up on the Tarantula Keeper blogs and I saw something that looked funny. He put the Orange Baboon tarantula as a recommended species. But aren't they notoriously aggressive? I know they are hardy but is he right are they really that good of a pet? Because, I think it would be cool to own an OBT but I was more into thinking of some of the new world tarantulas?
What's a good beginner tarantula!?

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
http://tarantulakeeper.blogspot.com/2008/12/top-10-beginners-tarantulas.html By Tarantula Keeper Blogs

I am a rookie looking into getting a tarantula. So I have been reading up on the Tarantula Keeper blogs and I saw something that looked funny. He put the Orange Baboon tarantula as a recommended species. But aren't they notoriously aggressive? I know they are hardy but is he right are they really that good of a pet? Because, I think it would be cool to own an OBT but I was more into thinking of some of the new world tarantulas?
What's a good beginner tarantula!?
Don't get an OBT as a first spider. I recommend Brachypelma albopilosum or Aphonopelma chalcodes. Both are docile New world species great for beginners.
Theres a lot more species that are good for first-timers as well, such as Euthalus sp. red

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
^^^

some people just have their priorities in the wrong place. hardy does not equal beginner spider.
look for something in the Grammostola, Brachypelma, or Euathlus genera. particularly G pulchripes, B smithi (soon to be hamori), G pulchra, B emilia, B albopilosum.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Recommending an OBT as a beginner tarantula is only OK one day out of the year: April 1st.

The potency of the venom alone boots them right off the list. Even if they tended to be docile, still no.

I'd recommend a G. pulchripes or B. albopilosum for a first T. They are both inexpensive, abundant, fairly docile, and hardy. There are others that will work fine, but those two are almost impossible to go wrong with.

Last edited:

patriotgator

Arachnopeon
I would recommend getting something cheap at first like a rosehair or a G. Pulchripes to see how you like tarantulas.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Generally, getting an OBT as a first T, is a lot like giving a 16 yr old the keys to the Ferrari.

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, its one of the all time great mistakes you see a beginner make...Theyre an absolutely terrible beginner species....and it goes way beyond temperament and venom potency. Theyre super fast, easily startled, they grow very fast and theyre very reclusive, so you just dont see them often at all in proper housing.

Most of these lists are just regurgitated info from other poorly written "beginner" lists...and i suspect most of the writers dont even keep them....some likely dont keep any t.

They try to "sell" beginners on them with the "super hardy" line...which just shows their ignorance on the subject...as most ts and all good beginner ts are very very hardy.

My advice....get your info here, from actual experienced keepers...ignore everything else on the net unless directed there by an experienced keeper you trust!

@EulersK has some well put together beginner t videos im sure he will be happy to link you to....otherwise look around, its been posted 100 tomes this month probably.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Like the KoolAid man, I come when summoned.

Here's some slings that are actually great beginner species. Hardy, fast growing, fun species.

The Amazing Me

Arachnopeon
Yeah, its one of the all time great mistakes you see a beginner make...Theyre an absolutely terrible beginner species....and it goes way beyond temperament and venom potency. Theyre super fast, easily startled, they grow very fast and theyre very reclusive, so you just dont see them often at all in proper housing.

Most of these lists are just regurgitated info from other poorly written "beginner" lists...and i suspect most of the writers dont even keep them....some likely dont keep any t.

They try to "sell" beginners on them with the "super hardy" line...which just shows their ignorance on the subject...as most ts and all good beginner ts are very very hardy.

My advice....get your info here, from actual experienced keepers...ignore everything else on the net unless directed there by an experienced keeper you trust!

@EulersK has some well put together beginner t videos im sure he will be happy to link you to....otherwise look around, its been posted 100 tomes this month probably.
Thank you Cold Blood. Im going to take your advice and stop listening to blogs online and do all my research here