i HATE ticks

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well a bit of an ironic story. As of 2 days ago my Uncle retired, during lunch today I was talking to him and he was telling me how he got a tick on his back and never noticed till he got a huge rig on his body, and he got lime disease. This lead to nerve problems and eventually his early retirement(he worked in Alaska at national parks). Anyway so today i was in the woods for like 15 mins, and just a few mins ago i was sittin browsing the boards when i felt something on running on my neck, turned out it was a tick. So i went to the backroom and checked myself more and found another tick on my side. God i hate the things, and the creep me out. Anyway thats my ironic story for the day.

ArachnoCrazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you most likely had wood tick which do not carry lymes disease. Deer ticks are the ones that carry lymes disease and they are the size of a pin head.
I have also read that it would take a couple days of the tick being attached to you before the disease is able to transfer from tick to host.

Wood ticks are not so bad I find them on me almost every other day since I hang out on a farm. I just learn to live with them.

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Since we're on the subject, can someone please tell me the point of a ticks existence? Yeah, food for birds and what not, but they can certainly eat something else, can't they?

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
so that dog soap will be invented and peta will earn millions!!!

for God sake, why peta?

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i too hate the buggers, especially deer ticks (lime disease bastards). i would go to the doc and get your hair checked....i got them a couple times while camping...not cool.

xelda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you most likely had wood tick which do not carry lymes disease. Deer ticks are the ones that carry lymes disease and they are the size of a pin head.
I have also read that it would take a couple days of the tick being attached to you before the disease is able to transfer from tick to host.

Wood ticks are not so bad I find them on me almost every other day since I hang out on a farm. I just learn to live with them.
You have to be careful though. Aside from lyme disease, there's Rocky Mountain spotted fever.

ArachnoCrazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You have to be careful though. Aside from lyme disease, there's Rocky Mountain spotted fever.

In my area the chances of getting Lymes disease or Rocky Mountain spotted fever is so unlikely that I do not have to worry. The only time I am ever carefull is when I am camping in other areas.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was at a trout farm for a school trip and the woods there were infested with deer ticks because they had a nature trail too, if you went in you were almost guaranteed to get a few ticks so you had to dress properly. So a kid in front of me gets 3 ticks crawling over his face, so the guide takes the ticks off and throws them in the trout pond and all you see are hundreds of trout leaping to catch the ticks. Thats what the guides do for fun pick ticks off themselves and give em to the trout.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You all need to come to Missouri about August. That is when the seed ticks are out in full force. Sometimes your entire leg will be brown with zillions of them.

Ah the fun of Summer :rolleyes:

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I went camping in the adirondacks a few days ago and just as I sat down and thought "maybe I should check myself for ticks" I found three tiny ones crawling on me. I didn't know they were ticks at first because they were so small, but upon closer inspection, they definitely were. I dont think I got bitten, thankfully.

My dad always yells at me to keep covered up in the woods or tall grass, he got lyme disease and was hospitalized for a while when I was younger.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've never had one on me but my mom got lyme disease on a camping trip when I was little. We never found the tick but she got a big yellow splotch like a bruise where the bite was. Yuck. She was sick for about a year but she's ok now.
Also, I have heard of people keeping ticks as pets!

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer

Dont forget flea circuses!

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i was once at this wholesaler they imported a bunch of these GIANT marine toads,and i mean giant! and they had these freakin ticks on them that were huge marbled size engorged w/blood but they were huge! you can take these guys for walk{D

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
jungleguts, i'm not ordering anything for you when you got ticks. take a bath! ewwww!!!

jk

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You all need to come to Missouri about August. That is when the seed ticks are out in full force. Sometimes your entire leg will be brown with zillions of them.

Ah the fun of Summer :rolleyes:
wow brian, that's hardcore :)

ticks??? ah...c'mon, no big deal.

Try visiting the tropics.....in certain areas of the Amazon, I have been on fishing expeditions where I have been covered head to toe by thick layers to prevent mosquitos......but they still get you THROUGH your clothes.

not to mention....I've also gotten ticks there......and those are like the mothers of all ticks!!!

LOL :}

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Dont forget flea circuses!
:eek: I knew about Flea circuses but people keeping ticks as pets?! Don't they know the risk they're risking? They're risking their lives Ticks carry diseases and you can die from them! How on earth can people even think like that?!:eek: *Faints from shock*

Black Widow88

silentchaos

Arachnopeon
I wouldnt worry so much about a few ticks as long as you are not around the wisconsin area or the north atlantic coast. Here in northern alabama it is impossible not to get 5-50 ticks on you during a 40 min hike, eventualy some will bite you.

At the end of the day it is better not to lose sleep or fun over things like this unless you are in a high risk area.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh come on, ticks are awsome! Have you ever seen an egg mass of them hatch? It is the coolest thing ever! I recently had a paralysis tick on me Ixodes holocyclus, it was only a young instar but it still made me febrile and gave me a whopping head ache. I tried to take it off gently so that I could raise it up but it died on me. Gosh they're cool animals. I love parasites.

And this is definitly in the wrong category.