I hate smarta$$ people!!

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm pretty good at knowing my info on how dangerous some true spiders are. Well my <edit> stepdad well was until my mom divorced his sorry ass thinks he knows it all about black widows, recluses, etc. I'm like i dont care what you know i mean i know that black widows can kill people but its not often heard. Black widows arent supposed to kill you if your a real healthy person. Recluses i know can make you get your body parts ampitated and stuff. I felt like telling him to screw off I've been in this hobby a couple years i know all about arachnids and so forth. He use to tell me tarantulas can kill you but that isnt true no one has died from a tarantula bite unless their allergic to venom. Just goes to show you people try to act like they know it all but they dont it irritates me. :mad: Yall ever had someone tell you about spiders and about them killing and doing damage and you know its "<edit>"??

Last edited by a moderator:

pinktoe23

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
umm yeah but wasn't there a recent thread or post about how no one can actually be allergic to their venom :?

maybe someone that knows more about this can chime in and add to this myth. Also, I've read you don't get your legs amputated by a bad recluse bite...it's because of the bacteria infection and necrosis you develop afterwards but not by the venom itself. hm maybe I'm wrong but that's all I can remember from the top of my head about what's been discussed here.

Perhaps someone can clear this up too.

JPD

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Unfortunately, the general public has no clue. I do many educational presentations in my area (Seattle), and am constantly challenged on subjects such as: "Brown Recluses can be found all over Washington" or "I find Hobo spiders all of the time" or better yet............I met an older gentleman (early to mid 70's) who, along with his wife, recounted the story of their good friends in Arizona who brought a Cactus home....of course you all know where that story is going.
The thing that gets me is that here I am, at a school science fair or public event with a large collection of spiders, distribution maps for L.reclusa, photographs, pretty much everything...and the dimwit with his child, wearing the Gucci suit, wants to play the big shot.
Sorry to hear that you are feeling that way. Don't let him bother you. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulder and have a much greater knowledge than he, so just shrug it off. He is obviously a knucklehead so don't let him get to you;)

KingBowser

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah I can relate. The problem is there are too many partial truths floating around in the media and heresay. My dad has suppposedly been bitten by reclusa two or three times in his home. Before I got into arachnids I never gave it much thought until I myself got "bitten" by the arachno-phenomenon. :cool: when I found out that reclusa is all too often framed, I asked my dad more about the bites and what the doctor said. Turns out the doctor was "pretty sure" it was reclusa. Just seems like a good spider to blame it on, doesn't it? :?

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my father-n-law is like that.im sitting there telling someone the "real" truth about any given animal,and he will chime in with his loud obnoxious voice and say the opposite ofwhat im saying.i just let him talk since he likes the sound of his own voice.

Johnnyster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hang in there Viva

Knowledge, knowledge, knowledge. Obviously you know more than the typical jack because youre here showing your interest. I guess most of us try to educate ourselves and learn from the peeps in here so in turn can educate others and so on. But youre right, there are people who just think they know it all and and quick to blame. There is a lunch truck operator that makes his stops here at work (there are about 300 employees here) and then one day was gone for a while. When I asked, they told me that he had been bitten by a brown recluse and his leg was amputated because of it. But we're in L.A.
..... I laughed at it and forgot about it. That was the local, popular story around here. Then I learned from someone who was closer to him that he was diabetic and wasnt taking care of himself but indeed was still bitten by a spider.

Ya'll have a great weekend.