I hatched T.Dollfusi babies?!? Yay! (With pics!)

MillipedeTrain

Arachnosquire
So the other night I was cleaning out my water dishes in my invertebrate enclosures and putting fresh water in and when I went to put the dish back inside I found two babies in one of my small communal tanks (that only houses two species) the two species are some juvenile mardonius parillis acutoconus and an adult female Tonkinbolus Dollfusi. I had 4 Dollfusi previously in here with an even male to female ratio and they all mated like crazy ...constantly...Sadly, 3 died within a week or two of my getting them. I think it was too cold for them at the time, but I quickly got digital thermostats with heat pads set up on the backs of all my terrariums to help them now. Anyways, my remaining female adapted well and appears to have had babies. I found 2 of them and I found many more very tiny poop capsules with extremely tiny dark brown little eggs inside. All of these were laid in the little exoterra cave that my female T.Dollfusi always spends her time in...I don’t ever really see the mardonius in there and the female mardonius I have is very small about the same size as the T.Dollfusi and the others are even smaller. I do have a male mardonius who is just barely mating age but the females are less than half his size and run away from him in a panic when he tries to breed with them. It just seems so unlikely that the babies I found are Mardonius. After speaking to a few others, specifically Arthroverts I was told if they were mardonius babies they would be thinner and darker gray...but I was told they’re most likely T.Dollfusi babies because they’re fatter and have their bands already. If anyone has some experience with this I would love your opinion on my pictures regarding these babies!

In any case, I am ecstatic either way because this is now my second species ever to successfully breed! (The first is from my Sp.8 tank that houses a giant black species with red legs that I can’t seem to identify but they’re almost as big as A.gigas but different! They’ve bred and laid eggs too!) I didn’t have Mardonius babies in the first place either so If they somehow end up being Mardonius I am happy either way! I am finding new eggs in all my communal tanks now and it’s so exciting! My dream to have baby millipedes successfully has finally come true! What’s even more exciting is that these little most likely T.Dollfusi babies have even molted a couple times and are past that funky little alien stage and are actually mobile! I only found two but I’m certain there’s more lurking about. I am so glad they will live on and are adapted to my environment and soil. I have a highly nutritious soil to suit all their needs and requirements. So exciting! They’re a gorgeous species!

Anyways , on with the pics! Let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

Madnesssr

Arachnoknight
Congratulations!!!!! I have been trying to find someone with Tonkibolus dollfusi for rehoming for about a year now with no luck. So I am trying not to be envious. LOL.

Crocodylidae

Arachnosquire
I've never seen this species before, this looks so beautiful! Is this a difficult species to care for?

MillipedeTrain

Arachnosquire
I've never seen this species before, this looks so beautiful! Is this a difficult species to care for?
They’re a gorgeous species. They aren’t difficult to care for however they can be delicate and are sensitive to dramatic changes. For that reason I had 3 die very soon after arrival within a 1 week to 2 weeks after my getting them. They bred heavily before they died so my female laid a bunch of eggs and now some have hatched and she is still laying more eggs. :) they like to be warmer too.

MillipedeTrain

Arachnosquire
Congratulations!!!!! I have been trying to find someone with Tonkibolus dollfusi for rehoming for about a year now with no luck. So I am trying not to be envious. LOL.
Thanks! I am stoked because I had given up on them breeding with my males having died ...but they shall live on! Hope my female continues to lay as many eggs as she possibly can. By rehoming you mean looking for others whom are selling theirs?

Madnesssr

Arachnoknight
Thanks! I am stoked because I had given up on them breeding with my males having died ...but they shall live on! Hope my female continues to lay as many eggs as she possibly can. By rehoming you mean looking for others whom are selling theirs?
If you decide you have too many, I would be happy to give some a new home. Trade or purchase. :^)

MillipedeTrain

Arachnosquire
If you decide you have too many, I would be happy to give some a new home. Trade or purchase. :^)
Unfortunately I only found 2 Tonkinbolus babies throughout the whole thing, so I have to keep them in hopes of one being a male. I went digging about to see if I could find more and my female laid eggs in the only corner I allow to be dry so they will not be laying anymore for now without a male....They are indeed Tonkinbolus babies for certain. I compared them to my Spirostreptus Sp.8 and my Cameroon matte black giant red legged millipedes which are incorrectly named Mardonius parillus acutoconus. I collected well over 50 eggs and prototypes and actual babies (I stopped counting). So, seeing these babies I was able to confirm for fact they are Dollfusi babies. The Cameroon babies and Spirostreptus sp.8 babies look very, very diffident!

I attached a buncha pics and 2 pics the 2 different species of the parents of my newest find of babies! So now I successfully have 3 different species worth of eggs! Now I am just waiting for my true black legged Mardonius parillus acutoconus and my ophistreptus guineensis to grow up and mate as well as my bumblebees!!! Once those mate I will be so happy!!! I’m already ecstatily jumping for joy because my first dream was to have them successfully breed, period!

Attachments

Madnesssr

Arachnoknight
Thanks for sharing. Right now, only my Spirobolellus sp Maui and Brachycybe Lecontii have successfully produced offspring. My Narceus gordanus Smokey oak gold have mates, but I can’t tell poop vs eggs. LOL

Everyone else except a few of my ivories need 18+ months to mature.