I got the itchies

Royalty

Arachnoknight
So I rehoused my vagans a while back but I left the critter keeper with the soil in it in the closet and decided to finally empty it out. I poured it into the trash using my bare hand and well....now it itches. I forgot about the hairs (I mostly deal with old worlds) While it is not horribly painful any suggestions to help? I am fining it distracting.

I have an aloe plant but the poor thing has already had quite a few leaves trimmed from sun burns from summer.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Got some hairs on my face/head once lol, shampoo worked pretty well in the shower

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
So I rehoused my vagans a while back but I left the critter keeper with the soil in it in the closet and decided to finally empty it out. I poured it into the trash using my bare hand and well....now it itches. I forgot about the hairs (I mostly deal with old worlds) While it is not horribly painful any suggestions to help? I am fining it distracting.

I have an aloe plant but the poor thing has already had quite a few leaves trimmed from sun burns from summer.
I have a bad reaction to urticating hairs. I not only itch for like 3 days but I get big whelps. I learned this when first starting out from routine enclosure maintenance.

After that, enclosures that are vacant go outside to be emptied and washed out. I use gloves, face mask and eye goggles. Never had another problem.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I picked up a pack of disposable gloves. My hands get nasty. The more you itch the worse it gets

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I picked up a pack of disposable gloves. My hands get nasty. The more you itch the worse it gets
I actually have like 3 pairs of gloves for that. I was just sleep deprived and wanted to tidy so I could feel SOMEWHAT productive today.

Thankfully it is not too bad, maybe I did not get many or they were older. I already feel quite better.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I try to not touch the stuff, just dump it in a garbage bag, hose out what remains in a desolate corner of the yard

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I try to not touch the stuff, just dump it in a garbage bag, hose out what remains in a desolate corner of the yard
I do not have a yard, I live in an apartment so I have to be a bit careful with the dumping into a trash bag.

Coradams

Arachnoknight
Calamine lotion and hydrocortisone creams are good for itchy or irritated skin. Oral antihistamines like Benadryl may help. If you are concerned that there may still be hair stuck in the skin, try covering the area with strong tape. Hopefully the hair will come out with the tape when you pull it off. It is weird but my husband swears by applying baby powder when he has fiberglass fibers in his skin. It might be good for hairs too, who knows? Hope this helps.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
On the rare occasions I actually have a reaction to hairs, just washing the affected areas with soap and water gets rid of the worst of it, any residual irritation is usually gone within 24hrs.

Hydrocortisone should help if it's really bad.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I’ve read some people apply and remove duct tape from the itchy areas, but just washing with soap and water helped me on the one occasion I was an idiot and re-used my A geniculata’s substrate in my plants with my bare hands.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

for some I heard benadryl..didn't work for me. I use gloves for certain species.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Long sleeves and gloves for the soft bodies. No, lotions won't help unless they are rx lidocaine strength. Like @viper69 said. Buy the cheapest high mg diphenhydramine you can get and take 1/2 the daily dose. You will either have no itchies and get drowsy and you should 100% not be driving, or you get spastic energy (like me) and still you shouldn't drive. Lesson learned. If you can't eat the urticaters, you should have protective gear. I've had junkies spit in my face, so my tolerance is pretty high. But T. Stirmi is where my line is drawn. My best for you.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Once you've got the itching, I haven't found anything that works particularly well. About the only thing that gives me some relief is running my hands under super hot water - as in, as hot as you can take it. The itching will get almost unbearable when you do this, but for some reason, it alleviates the itching for a few hours.