I got my first eggs!!!

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Some of you know I have Crested Geckos.. well, tonight I found my first eggs from one of my pairs.. Lucille and Lucky. I've been watching Lucille closely for the past few days cuz she's been burying herself in the lay box :rolleyes: and tonight, she was holding a vigil over the lay box from a nearby branch.. so I took a peek.

Sure enough, two pearly white little eggos!! One was pretty obvious, but she really tried to hide the other one.

...and now I'll wait. :)

I checked on Val and JabberWocky.. my other proven pair.. and Val is gravid. She's also a bit grouchy and didn't want me to inspect her egg plump tummy, so she should be laying hers any day now.

Lucky and Lucille are the parents of my own LuckyII and Amra. I was given some of their eggs last season and they all hatched out for me. JabberWocky and Val are another proven pair, but I have yet to see any of their offspring. I'm excited cuz Jabb is a dalmation and Val is a nice harley, and also Lucky's sister from another clutch. (I ended up with these guys and gals when their original owner moved from one place to another here in the Bay Area.. that's when I took on the 8 eggos; and now they've moved across country and asked me to take on most of their geckos. Sooo... that's the story.. briefly.)

...let the waiting begin! :D

Canfire

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
We have crested geckos too and mine just laid a pair of eggs (the first geckos eggs I have ever seen in real life!) and we didn't know until we moved the moss around. If they were there longer than we knew, would they be fine at room temperature or am I incubating nothing?

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Most likely, they are fine. Don't roll them over or move them too much. I actually incubate at room temps... my house is about 75 degrees most of the time.. and I have never had any problems.

The 8 eggs I got last summer... they all hatched... and I drove about an hour or more with them, incubated them on my clothes closet's top shelf and they are all fine! They hatched out like clock work.. about 60 days incubation, each clutch.

Good Luck with yours! :)

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is wonderful!!!!!!!! So how many eggs total? I'm so happy for you!!!!!!!! {D :D :clap:

Avic_Addict

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They don't need to be in the dark to incubate them.

If you want to check your eggs are fertile, find a tiny torch (preferably an LED type like the wallet credit-card torches or keyring torches - these are best as they dont give off any heat) turn off the lights and GENTLY press the torch against the egg and switch on. If your eggs are fertile and the embryo alive, the egg will glow pink and you will be able to see the blood vessels criss-crossing the inside of the egg, maybe even the embryo moving around if its in a later stage of development. If it is a slug (dead egg) then it will glow yellow and you wont be able to see anything inside. You should only hold the torch against the eggs for a few seconds, just long enough to decide 'yes its alive' or 'no its not', as a bright light shining into the egg can still be a shock for the embryo. This method is only reliable after 10-14 days incubation, so if you try before this time and your eggs are yellow, don't chuck them in the bin right away - leave them and try again in a weeks' time.

:}

Canfire

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I did that and i saw blood vessels and such and most of the egg was yellow with a pink blotch in the corner. This is good right?

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I did that and i saw blood vessels and such and most of the egg was yellow with a pink blotch in the corner. This is good right?
Blood vessels are good, means the embryo is developing. Congrats!

I am incubating my first crestie eggs right now. I may have damaged them while digging them up (they decided to lay in a potted plant in the tank) but so far so good. All six look good. I am incubating at about 80 degrees. My critter room is about 75-77 and I have the incubator (deli cup with vermiculite some moss) over my computer monitor which is on most of the time. Any one else have any advice?

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks, Mina!! :D I'm really excited about these first two. They usually lay a 2 egg clutch every 30 days or so, while exposed to a male.. and even after, as they can retain sperm.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Congrats on the eggs! Oh and thanks for the help for caring for my crested geckos!

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I did not think geckos guarded there eggs it is a species specific thing?

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm not really sure, but I've read about others claiming their females will get a little nasty with ya for poking around their eggs.

Lucille definitely was perched on the nearest branch and watching me intently, as I dug up her future kiddos. Then again, she's a little over the top about that lay box... she's always in it or near it, even when not breeding. She's also a big "hound" for being handfed, so it could just be a coincidence.

:D