I got her!!

godzilladoll

Arachnopeon
I brought home a G. Rosea today! She has all the signs of being a girl and her abdomen looks nice and big (could perhaps be bigger but it isn't small). I will take pictures of her after a while. I'm going to leave her alone for now though and let her warm up to the new environment. I'm excited and wanted to tell you guys {D

Vespula

Arachnodemon
Congratulations! How awesome is it when you bring them home, right? It's too cool for words. :D

godzilladoll

Arachnopeon
I can definitely see how this becomes addictive. She's hanging out vertically above the substrate so I went ahead and took a picture super sneakily. I named her Camilla.

LOL it looks like she's sitting on jack's face but she's really just sitting on the glass.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
She has all the signs of being a girl and her abdomen looks nice and big (could perhaps be bigger but it isn't small).
What are the signs of being female? Congrats on the new tarantula! :D

What type of substrate is that? coconut chips? I use organic peat moss. You can also buy eco-earth coco fiber.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Every collection needs a rose , especially a nice looking one like yours . I would say that she isn't liking the substrate . Mine seems to favor the peat that I keep her on . The stuff is dirt cheap ( no pun intended :D) .

godzilladoll

Arachnopeon
well I was told to watch out for a mature male because they don't live long after they mature so I made sure she didn't have leg hooks and balled up pedipalps. Since it doesn't have those I assume she is a she.

The substrate is T-rex forrest bed or something like that. I've read that some people use it and their rosies like it. I was planning on finding an alternate sub but haven't been out yet. I will look for some peat or eco-earth coco fiber :) Would it be easier to look in a gardening center for peat or would I be able to find it at the pet store?

As of right now she's walking around slowly checking it out.

Thanks for all the comments!!

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
It could still be a immature male. Males dont have hooks or palpal bulbs until their mature molt. You can determin the gender by looking between the first pair of book lungs at the sexual organs. It takes alot of practice to do it this way. You can determin the sex 100% with a molt. Thats the only 100% guaranteed way to tell a male or female.

-Peat can be found at your local hardware store or nursery. Make sure its organic. Get rid of the jungle mix. It may contain wood that is harmful to your T. There are alot of woods that produce an organic pesticide.

Last edited:

godzilladoll

Arachnopeon
Oh I see. well hopefully it's a girl. If it's a boy it'll be okay too - I will just have to be happy for the time I have with him. there will certainly be molt pictures when the time comes.

Arachnos

Arachnopeon
If you want to comfirm the sex you can either visit this site and try to learn how to do it yourself.....

http://www.birdspiders.com/faq_sex.php

Or you could post some clear pictures in the sexing part of this site and have it done for you. Short of that you will not know what you have until the ultimate molt if it is a male.

My rosies love the eco earth coconut fiber which is pretty inexpensive and peat is good also. I would not trust the T-rex substrate myself.

godzilladoll

Arachnopeon
I haven't gone to lowes yet but I picked up a block of coco fiber for the time being. I read what AgentD006las said about the jungle mix and now I'm a little frightened by it.

Last edited: