I got BUSTED.....

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My wife confronted me today about keeping tarantulas.
Brief recap for those who do not know the story. I got my first four G pulchra back in December, against my wife's wishes and without her knowledge. Well four soon became 12 and 2 GBB.
Any way, she asked me today when I was planning to tell her about the "spiders." I was, naturally, quite shocked and prepared for nuclear fallout, but held my composure and quite simply replied, "What spiders?"
She said "The tarantulas you got!"
Well for a brief moment my heart sank, and I feared the absolute worst. In the fraction of a second that it took for me to hear her words and process them I had already pictured our divorce - She got the house, the kids, the dogs, and the cars. I was left with my cat, and my tarantulas living in the RV down by the river.
Before I knew what I was saying, the words fell my lips, "I wasn't going to tell you." Thats it, it is all over, I better start packing.
Amazingly, she did not erupt. I got lectured about trust and being underhanded, and always doing whatever I want even when she says not to; that was it, nothing more.
I am still a bit shocked. I don't even know how she found out; I am too afraid to ask for fear of pushing the issue.
She did not leave me, and I still have my beautiful tarantulas, and my breeding program is still on track.
And to think, I have been living on eggshells for the past 7 months; I think I my have cut 10 years off my life with all the stress...
totally worth it.
She even began asking me about them, I was so excited to be able to talk tarantula with her, finally.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is awesome! Congrats on still being married.. Since she now knows about them & is asking about them.. Get ready for the collection to grow..

Hopefully she will become intrested in them like we all are.. :D

super-pede

Arachnobaron
same thing happened to me when my bro found out about the deathstalker.we agreed not to keep anything that will kill us.he instead killed me. and not the scorp thankfully.nor did he get rid of it.pretty awesome.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That is awesome! Congrats on still being married.. Since she now knows about them & is asking about them.. Get ready for the collection to grow..

Hopefully she will become intrested in them like we all are.. :D
Not likely, she is not an animal person. But, that would be awesome if she did.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I take my fiance for granted from time to time, I should really appreciate her understanding of me keeping 40 tarantulas and not having a problem with it, its quite amazing how addictive this hobby can become, but saying that it is also very rewarding at the same time. Theres a guy over here on the UK forums and he was given every keepers worst nightmare "its me and the kids or the tarantulas" obviously shes gone now with the kids.... lol
Nah but seriously hes sold all of his collection now, 16 years of keeping, breeding etc all gone. I'd be gutted.... :(

Ghostmooner

Arachnopeon
woww dude, you got lucky. you should show her this forum, and all the many people that are registered here. maybe she'll understand alittle better if she knew just how many people are in this hobby. my opinion is to keep an open diolog with the topic with her. don't keep it an unclosed arguement! you need to know what she's thinking all the time about it.

farrisbaharom

Arachnopeon
oh man - i don't know how you've survived so long.
my wife would SMELL something was up before it even happened.

congrats - hope there wasn't any permanent damage from the stress.

i'm wondering what will happen when MY wife finds that huge exo terra in the car tomorrow, there'll be erm ... fireworks in Malaysia.

surprisingly it ain't the T's, crickets or roaches in our bedroom (only space i got) - it's the amount of space they take up!

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There's hope! My husband started this, suggested getting a T, did all the preliminary research. However, I purchased the first one. 30 or so later, I think he's maybe picked out 2 or 3 of them. Maybe if she starts reading about them- that's what did it for me. I hope she gets hooked, I know I love having a hobby to share with my husband :)

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Rock on!!

Wow thats a pretty long time to hide tarantulas. I could never let mine go. Glad she didnt tell you to get rid of them. I will be taking mine all the way to the grave!! ;P There would be hell to pay of anyone tried to make me get rid of them. :cool:

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Quick, get her a young A. versicolor, always a great gateway drug!

Really though, very close call for sure. Things like this make me glad that my hubby and I got into this together.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
congrats sounds like it was a good day for all of us! Ive been dating a girl for about a month now and any time I mentioned tarantulas she would quicky change the subject or talk about how she didnt like spiders. Today however she talked a bit about them with me and said they were fine as long as she didnt have to hold them. Its all about baby steps.

harmroelf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sorry but..... this is totally ridiculous..... really putting ur entire life in danger for spiders, come on:barf:

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Where in the heck were you hiding them that she didn't find them sooner??

JamieC

Arachnopeon
My Mrs is warming to my spiders. She hated the idea to start with, but now she quite likes them. She's even given a couple of them names! :rolleyes:

She's not so keen on me getting any more any time soon. I often joke with her that I have ordered more. Needless to say I get very suspicious looks whenever a large parcel arrives! :D

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow man. I'm fortunate. It's actually my fiance (wife soon! Getting married on the 27th) that wanted to drop a few grand on Ts this month. Hope all goes well and she can "dig" them after seeing and learning more. My fiance' wasn't fond until I showed her some pictures on Google, then she got more into it.