I got BUSTED.....

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I give off a weird vibe apparently, so I don't usually attract guys - unless im drunk or trying -to get the point across- haha! Takes awhile for me to get comfortable around people anyways so I make a barrier of sort.

And every guy I meet who likes arachnids is taken(oddly by someone who doesn't really like them) or gay ! which is depressing! ... I congratulate those people with understanding partners - but I advise to never hide your hobbies; relationships don't last like that. If you're truly meant to last through the decades, you will work something out you both can live with.
ha i'm not, but im going on a date with a girl who is into animals. Just not inverts :p

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'll go a step beyond this - if you've got a hobby that is likely to create reactions - be open about it with prospective mates. It will filter out the ones you won't be compatible with and will help you identify those who will share yor interests.
Totally! When I get into a new semester, and we do those 'introduction' things, I am always like 'well I have tarantulas and a giant rabbit, oh and I am a photographer. lol'

You always get some weird looks outta that! ehhe

bioshock

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not to be a jerk or anything, but you should not have to keep things away from her. It would be stupid if she left you because of your hobby of keeping t's. At least the worst wasnt that bad you got lucky man!!

Lisa Gayle 713

Arachnopeon
Scoolman- I am preparing my new office to receive my Ts for the summer. I am afraid of the cleaning chemicals that the custodians at school might use in my room. My wife was less than thrilled when I told her my plan, but the enclosures are secure (all have hasps and locks) so no worries!

By the way, #8 (aka "Betty" the G. pulchra I got from you last year) is getting ready to molt. Her brown bum went BLACK! I hope she molts into adult color!!!! so excited!!!! Peace

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Not to be a jerk or anything, but you should not have to keep things away from her. It would be stupid if she left you because of your hobby of keeping t's. At least the worst wasnt that bad you got lucky man!!
Very true. I should have just told her up front I was going to get into it. She still doesnt like them, but she loves me so we go hand in hand, in hand, in hand, in hand, in hand..........

Lisa, I am so glad to hear from you. You should get a tiny black beauty with this molt, if not then for sure with the next one.
As for keeping them in your office, you need to establish a line of communication with the custodial staff and make them aware of your needs and requirements for the tarantulas. Our staff all know of my tarantulas and are very helpful. They know what they can and can't do, and also alert me when the exterminator is going to be in to spray so I can seal off my room.

JayMadison

Arachnosquire
Good thing the wife was cool with it, if not maybe you could have upgraded lol

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
my wife said i could get one, and one only!
care to view my profile? she ended up loving them too :) she has her own aphonopelma sp 'paysoni' and chalcodes {D she still hates true spiders though and the mm pokies kinda creep her out a little (they do me too) our singapore blue mm is the creepiest looking.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My husband of 17 years actually encouraged me to get my 1st T, after we both decided that neither of us could handle feeding mammals to a snake (ohhh, how I would've liked to have a boa!!!). So now, I, I mean WE have 5 Ts with 2 more on the way. :rolleyes:

He has his hobbies and I have mine, but we also have the stuff we like to do together. He doesn't get as excited as I do about feeding time or cleaning time or "heh, Edgar is standing on all tippy-toes again" but he does appreciate the Ts.

Relationships, in my experience, are all about the compromise--finding what you can live with and without and what the other person can live with and without, and then finding that common place where both people are happy.

I am super lucky to be married to someone who tolerates my many quirks! :)
Not everyone is so fortunate however. The majority of people out there are usually not very understanding of things like this. I am to the point of where I am about to buy another T without my mother's permission. I know I shouldn't, but I just see no reason to her way of thinking. I take good care of mine now and am able to pay for their food. Gah, parents are much worse and less understanding then spouses/ partners.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Lol sorry but this was a funny story. Where did you secretly keep them?
I kept them in my classroom for two years. My wife still does not like them, but she sees how much they mean to me and now tolerates them for me. In fact I have my own Troom in the house now, and several breeding projects.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The fact that you live under her roof should be a good enough reason.
Look lets not get into this, it's really my business. But even so, she's not going to kick me out over a spider.

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Look lets not get into this, it's really my business. But even so, she's not going to kick me out over a spider.
passatt is right. It may be your business, but you're in a public forum, making the hobby look bad by deceiving your mother. Expect repercussions from other members.

Why you must insist on going against your mother's wishes is beyond me. She gave you life, raised you, provides a roof over your head even after you're an adult. You have a WHOLE LIFETIME ahead of you.... wait til you get your own place. Then you have have anything you want. Without losing your mom's trust in you.

No matter which way you go.... good luck to you.

sugarsandz

Arachnosquire
My husband and I are staying with my parents so we can pay off some debt. I have two tarantulas that she doesn't really care for but doesn't mind me having. The first one my sister brought home against my mom's wishes and got bored with it so I took it. I fell in love with tarantulas and figured my mom would go nuts if I brought another into her house without asking but I was going to anyway at first. I had rehoused my G. rosea into a bigger tank and the smaller tank was just sitting there with the old log in it and the old substrate since I wasn't concerned about getting to it right away and that's when I thought I could get another spider in that tank after I secretly cleaned it and mom would never ever know! Well long story short I can't lie to people even if I really want something so I told her what I was planning to do behind her back and she laughed at me and said NO WAY! Long story short I heard about an upcoming reptile show in my area and asked her nicely if I could just get one for my birthday and she actually caved in and said ok but no more. So I picked up my B. smithi and I'm okay with two until I'm out of here.

If I'd kept them hidden I could just see her accidentally coming across them one day and killing them out of fear and confusion. I'd catch her blowing on my G. rosea so it would move, that was a fun conversation. I don't like lecturing my mom but she needed to know that blowing on them is stressful, plus catch one on a bad day and you get a face full of hairs. She just looks now, lol!

Bast

Arachnopeon
Not everyone is so fortunate however. The majority of people out there are usually not very understanding of things like this. I am to the point of where I am about to buy another T without my mother's permission. I know I shouldn't, but I just see no reason to her way of thinking. I take good care of mine now and am able to pay for their food. Gah, parents are much worse and less understanding then spouses/ partners.
Now granted I am a mom that is a little more accepting of exotic pets...but I would be extremely upset and disappointed (probably very angry as well) if my son went ahead and purchased/brought home a pet without my permission and approval. It's all about trust, and when I am paying the bills and providing shelter/food/schooling he is expected to follow my rules. I would never want to be put in the situation where any animal (spider or otherwise) would have to be re-homed/adopted out because of my son's lack of responsibility to follow the rules. Not to come down hard on you, but it is a detriment to the hobby (no matter what the animal) to take an animal into a household where there is a very high possibility of the animal not being welcome. Wait until you have a home of your own, where you are financially stable and responsible enough to make sure that animal has a home where it is welcome and will be with you for it's whole life. Lying/misleading will only lead to trouble for you, your t's (or any other unwelcome pet) and your family. Not worth ticking mommy off IMO.