I Got Bit!

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It never fails when I photograph these little monsters. There’s always one individual that will never end the trend of me getting bitten once, twice or three times a year. I’ve forgotten that Aphonopelma moderatum can be feisty.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Not using catch cups, or free handling them when in route to photograph? Or some other random accident that caused the bite.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Aphonopelma moderatum you say?...Don’t mess with Texas.

Sorry you got bit, sucks. Models can be divas, hope the photos come out killer though.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Then I hope you are not allergic!
Just pain or other symptoms?
No pain and not allergic to the bite. She just being a little pain to deal with.
Not using catch cups, or free handling them when in route to photograph? Or some other random accident that caused the bite.
Photographing these monsters outside is usually free handling. Getting bitten a few times each year is a norm for me.
1-3 times a year? I don't even know what to say.
Pray for me haha.
Maybe it's time to change some of your practices? Seems a little excessive. Just saying!
No need to change practice when I’ve been photographing tarantulas outside with one of the best lightings and landscape possible. Nothing excessive about it. It’s part of my job to make sure these beautiful monsters get photographed beautifully. I’m not the average Joe that photographs tarantulas inside their cages with crappy lighting. Hmmm 99% of my photographs of my spiders are photographed outside. I got bit and it’s just the way it is. I’m sure I’ll get another bite soon by another tarantula lol.

Sorry you got bit, sucks. Models can be divas, hope the photos come out killer though.

Photos are great. I also photographed one of my females of Pterinochilus murinus “Mombasa Golden Starburst”. She was mellow compared to the moderatum.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You posting them on the forum? I hope so.
Yes I will be. I’m waiting for my new Computer to arrive this month. My old computer called it quits three months ago. I’m bummed that I can’t upload my photos to a computer at this time. I’m glad I have all my other photos and my music on my USB.

Sneak preview 8D282C07-C1E3-4E80-8E57-0CA07CA14B70.jpeg FAF0640B-774D-4E27-A8E5-0DFDAC1BAE0B.jpeg

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Hmmm 99% of my photographs of my spiders are photographed outside.
So, I take a different approach. Since I do paid studio portrait and product photography, I use the same 60" octabox and studio strobe that I use for people and items for the tarantulas, to create soft, even light. I do take them out of their enclosures in most cases. I won't go into all of the details of my process, but I am very protective of both them and my fingers! They can be frustrating to work with, but usually they will give you windows of time to get a good photo after a few minutes. No bites.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So, I take a different approach. Since I do paid studio portrait and product photography, I use the same 60" octabox and studio strobe that I use for people and items for the tarantulas. I do take them out of their enclosures in most cases. I won't go into all of the details of my process, but I am very protective of both them and my fingers! They can be frustrating to work with, but usually they will give you windows of time to get a good photo after a few minutes. No bites.
Spiders sometimes can be cooperative, though not always. Therefore tarantulas don’t always stay still. Aphonopelma moderatum is one of them. Sometimes it can take an hour just to get a tarantula to sit still with a good posture. Old world tarantulas can be one of the best tarantulas that can sit still for a long period of time. New world tarantulas can be a pain at times and same as old world. It all depends. Each tarantulas have their moments of being chilled or not.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Spiders sometimes can be cooperative, though not always. Therefore tarantulas don’t always stay still.
My worst subject so far was surprisingly the species known as being the biggest pet rock that barely moves...the G. porteri. The dude (immature) just wasn't interested in sitting still. It took ~45 minutes to get this:

WolleWolf

Arachnopeon
Aphonopelma moderatum, the best looking Aphonopelma without a doubt!

Very hard to get in Germany, nearly impossible. I should had buy one when they were around about 15y ago. Now I have had a juvenile=)! But they were damn pricey!

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
It never fails when I photograph these little monsters. There’s always one individual that will never end the trend of me getting bitten once, twice or three times a year. I’ve forgotten that Aphonopelma moderatum can be feisty.
Spider-man is just a comic book. You can't do it in real life.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
it seems photographers get bit more often than regular folks
A) increased handling if one is hoping to place them in a natural setting
B) increased interaction if one is removing lids for photos
C) and the all too familiar "My OW looks super cool in threat posture so I'm gonna irritate it to get a great picture"

Marlana

Arachnoknight
C) and the all too familiar "My OW looks super cool in threat posture so I'm gonna irritate it to get a great picture"
I still think you can limit the risks. I use paint brushes, catch cups, forceps. No handling (rarely). If a tarantula really isn’t feeling sitting still, I’ll try another day. If they start really getting fed up with me, back they go. I’m not going to stress my animals for a photo. But then I’m amateur so no idea how more professional photographers do things. I just do it for fun and my spiders come first.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I still think you can limit the risks. I use paint brushes, catch cups, forceps. No handling (rarely). If a tarantula really isn’t feeling sitting still, I’ll try another day. If they start really getting fed up with me, back they go. I’m not going to stress my animals for a photo. But then I’m amateur so no idea how more professional photographers do things. I just do it for fun and my spiders come first.
I believe is the other way around. Spiders don’t get stressed is the photographer who gets a beating 😆. My finger turned red after a few seconds of this little female puncturing her fangs towards the tip of my finger. I don’t believe she was stressed, she was just a rude tarantula. 356FECC5-2F8C-4B17-A760-77B47FB518B4.jpeg

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I have never come close to being bitten. I don't think photography has much to do with it. It's your method of doing things.

A) Catch cups and paint brushes. If a specimen is very defensive, stop. Try again a different day.

B) Not much more than regular maintenance. It's opening the enclosure 53 or 54 times a year instead of 52.

C) Those people suck, and I wish them nothing but the worst.