I got an OBT as my First T

Royalty

Arachnoknight
It is a 1/2 Inch Pterinochilus murinus in red form- one of the T's I have always admired most. It is quite small at this stage and quite adorable. He/She has already constructed a pretty decent tunnel into the coco fiber. I find the small pink mouth quite adorable. I hope when it grows up it will become just as vibrant as the ones I have seen in videos.

obt.jpg

Royalty

Arachnoknight
This is your 1st tarantula? You've never kept any others before this?
No, but I have done research and consider myself prepared.I have had experience with quite a few different creatures as well in the past. I know people do not recommend Old Worlds to beginners and especially the OBT has a bit of a reputation.

JayManges

Arachnopeon
No, but I have done research and consider myself prepared.I have had experience with quite a few different creatures as well in the past. I know people do not recommend Old Worlds to beginners and especially the OBT has a bit of a reputation.
Aside from being lightning fast, having a nasty attitude, and very potent venom, OBT's are just like NW's. You've got this!

Royalty

Arachnoknight
Aside from being lightning fast, having a nasty attitude, and medically significant venom, OBT's are just like NW's. You've got this!
I think people interpret it as nasty, but it is really a defensive measure. From the videos I have seen, I was prepared and did the unboxing in the bathtub.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Best of luck! And be careful! While I do agree that OWs’ attitudes are a bit exaggerated, they can still be a handful....

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
The OBT has an amazing reputation. Enjoy your spider, I look forward to hearing about how it’s doing and seeing images of it as it grows.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
The OBT has an amazing reputation. Enjoy your spider, I look forward to hearing about how it’s doing and seeing images of it as it grows.
I am looking forward to it. I am deciding on a name still. I think either Red or Ginger. Something that complements their vibrant hue. Will probably post here when it molts to find out the gender :p

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
My first T was a Cyriopagopus lividus, I survived it just fine, although I don't recommend doing it this way :) I had worked with some T's previously, but never owned one. Be slow, be cautious, and don't panic and you should be ok.

JayManges

Arachnopeon
I am looking forward to it. I am deciding on a name still. I think either Red or Ginger. Something that complements their vibrant hue. Will probably post here when it molts to find out the gender :p
How about naming it "Joy?" After my wife. She has the temperament of an OBT.

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
A blanket discouragement on O/W’s as beginner t’s is enforced as it is impossible to register the needs and prior experience of every keeper. Some people may be total arachnophobes, hence slow, cuddly, Docile N/W’s are recommended. Others may be as unflinching as the terminator and could easily start with fast O/W’s judging that they have completed appropriate research and know what they are getting into...

It’s better safe than sorry, so instead of making loads of exceptions based upon differing criteria to judge the best starter T’s we put an umbrella discouragement to prevent any unfortunate occurrences. If you judge yourself suitable to keep something like an OBT and you have done research then go ahead. It’s not forbidden, if you have zero experience with any other exotics or have the slightest doubt however... Then don’t for your and the T’s sake...

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Watching videos really doesn't fully prepare you for dealing with OW speed irl. Personally, I would not have been nearly as able to work slowly and calmly with OW's if I hadn't kept fast and defensive NW's first. And, even worked my way up to them.

It'll definitely get more intimidating as it grows so don't get cocky yet. Best of luck.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I appreciate your research, your confidence, and most of all your lack of visceral response to some of the remarks above. I would have personally suggested another first T, although I am definitely not one of the “NW only, first T” crowd, but they are great spiders. If I were a betting man, I would put my money on you doing fine. Don’t worry so much about the bite hype, concentrate on the escape potential.

Attachments

Poonjab

Arachnoking
When it comes to learning and understanding the effects of the venom that these animals possess...I choose to live vicariously through others.
On a serious note, I hope it’s nothing but smooth sailing for him/her and they learn a lot with their experience over time. Zero negative outcomes.

With that said. I would totally lmao if a year or so from now there was a thread: I got bit by my OBT.
[Insert curb your enthusiasm meme]

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I am so happy with it. So far yesterday after it made a tunnel it got to a depth that i could only see one of it's legs sticking out. In the morning, I work to see that while I slept it made it's tunnel have two "ends" and it was back in the hidey spot. ( I wish I was awake to see this process!) It is now peeking out of the mouth of the burrow and I am going to offer it some food.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
In times like these i swear everyone forgets the Australian side of the hobby exists :p

Best of luck with your new addition!