I Got An Aggressive Pink Toe!

Shadrach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OH BOY I got myself into something! If everyone remembers I was saying I might be comming across a Pink Toe (A. avicularia). Well I did so I transfered her over into a temp tank today and got some pics of her! Also I found out what everyone means by having an aggressive T! I was moving her from the deli cup to the tank when all of a sudden BAM! Fangs into the paint brush! I know they were fangs because I felt them hit the upper end where it is wood!! So I don't think this will be one I try to touch or handle any! She is definately more aggressive than my Rose Hair she makes her look like a puppy!

Attachments

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Shad,

Quick question... is that SAND you're keeping your Rosie on?

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I thought Pinktoes were supposed to be housed in vertical setups with branches or bark that they can build webs in. Maybe that's why it's so cranky.

Last edited:

Shadrach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah actually it is calci-sand I had in a tank I was going to pick up some Lizard litter but it wont be in until thurs or friday so it is just a temp thing also.

anthony2561

Banned
Old Timer
blah

I's it an adult(I cant tell with pics:8o )or a s'ling, or a juv? and is it a male or female? How big is ur tank for s/he?

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I was moving her from the deli cup to the tank when all of a sudden BAM! Fangs into the paint brush! I know they were fangs because I felt them hit the upper end where it is wood!!
its possible things arent as they seem as far as your t being aggressive. something ive found is that ts will often mistake foreign objects as prey, ie the end of a paintbrush rustling around or some forceps picking up cricket remains. my rosie and my pink toe strike at such objects often, but never do so at my hand.
Yeah actually it is calci-sand I had in a tank I was going to pick up some Lizard litter but it wont be in until thurs or friday so it is just a temp thing also
bah, get some peat moss, it can be found in the gardening section at your local hardware store.

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Have to agree on the substrate issue. Sand is ano go for T's as they cannot burrow and will have difficulty webbing. Sand does not retain moisture well nor is it soft, thus your T will be more likely to both dry out and rupture its abdomen on it. not to mention sand getting stuck to its adhesive pads.

Lizards need the calci-sand to prevent digestive blockage due to ingesting the sand. Tarantulas do not do this(it is not their natural environment). So keeping it on sand is both unnatural and pointless.

-V

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Avics.

In general terms I've found some Avicularia species to be more docile than others.

I've found that Avic. avics (the blue Guyana variety) are more likely to stand their ground an puff out. Same goes for metallicas. A. braunshauseni is another notoriously aggressive T.
My adult female Peruvian avic. fanged out at me!! (pictured below).

I've found that versicolor, purpurea, true minatrix are more docile, more likely to flee.

N-Joy
Art

Last edited:

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Beautiful pic, Art...but man that's a small enclosure for any T...maybe it was just the angle of the pic. Is it the same size as its legspan? Anyhoo, yeah bud...no calci-sand or lizard litter for Ts. Try to stick with soil and peat moss, strictly either will work but a combination of 50/50 is best because soil alone births scuttle flies and peat helps for easy burrowing. I'd really stray from corkbark and sand type substrates. And yes, also a good tall/narrow enclosure for the Pinktoe would be a lot better, as they like to be high up.

Marcus

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Avics.

Yes that enclosure is too small. I bought her from a customer who had her in that container. She was transferred immediately thereafter to a custom made 20 gallon tall tank where she's been for the past 2 years. Massive gal, put out a huge eggsack last year, over 200 eggs but all infertile (after cohabitating with the male for 3 months, guess he was shooting blanks).

As far as substrate, I wouldn't recommend "soil" as one never knows what's really in it. I actually heard somebody suggest using Miracle Grow. No, I use Spagnum Peat with Vermiculite exclusively. The percentage mix depends on the humidity requirements of the T. More vermic for tropical T's, less for drier those from drier environments.

N-Joy
Art

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey Art, where do you get your Verm at? I've tried a local Home Depot but no luck. Just a local greenery? Good point about the soil by the way. I don't use regular soil, I buy...I buy...lol..can't remember the brand...whatever, but it has worked well so far. Very good point though, maybe I'll just stick with peat.

Marcus

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
vermic/peat

Marcus,

I go straight to Ace Hardware here in the city. In the gardening section they have bags of Canadian Sphagnum from a manufacturer called Schultz, they call it "Peat Moss", they also make vermic. Last time I had a hard time finding vermic. elsewhere during the winter, seemed line there was a national shortage but Ace did the trick, I buy a few bags weekly. I heard that Home Depot sold large bails but that may have been a regional thing.

N-Joy
Art

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Lowes carries it. Sta-green (I think that's the name, anyways)

It's not the cheap, cheap stuff, but it works.