I got a freebie Aphonopelma behlei with my first T, questions

MclarenF1

Arachnopeon
Before any of you tell me, YES I did search lol. So I just got my first T no less than a couple hours a ago (~3.5 inch Grammo Aureo), and I got a free Aphonopelma behlei that's about 1/3 of an inch. I got a couple of questions.

1. I read that a T will usually cling to the glass when it is a new enclosure. How long will it take for him to get used to it?

2. What am I supposed to feed my Aphonopelma behlei sling? Cricket parts or something?

3. Does anyone has any caresheets regarding Aphonopelma behlei?

I'll post some pics later. Thanks for the info!

mrsd

Arachnopeon
My gramostola's usually cling to the side about a day or so.. after I got them. And as far as the sling you can feed it pin head crickets or if you can't get them you can feed it pre killed crickets or the back legs. I don't have a caresheet on the Alp. b but I would think it is pretty much the same as the other Alp sp. But some one with more experience woul probably know more than I.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I too got the same A. behlei. Most likely from Brandon. Well I had the same questions. And I did get an answer to the feeding question. What I did was take a baby cricket which was bigger than the Tarantula and ripped all its legs off than finally ripped its head off than tossed it in. The body squirmed a bit and it attacked right away. than it got on top of it and now it has a very fat abdomen. It ate half of the cricket.
If you check out Reptist exotics website you will see a picture of a juvi, male and female A. behlei. Thats all I could find of it.

Thanks Nitibis for the link!!!

julesee

Arachnopeon
I got one from Brandon as well. Mine doesn't eat much but if I put a pinhead in there, it will eat it. Im thinking mine is going to molt soon does anybody else feel this way?

reptist

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A behlei

hey guys, I use a small water dish, a hide, and maybe something to climb on , in the wild they live only over 7000 ft and build their open pit burrows under 2-3' or larger semi flat rocks they usualy breed in mid to late sept.-Oct. when nighttime temps are sometimes only 10-20 degrees and the sacs start being laid in late may and jun of the following year. they are pretty good eaters and after the 1st inch their growth rate is reasonable, males mature at around 3-4" and 6" would be huge for a female, they are a stalky spider and fearless, not thinking twice about directly aproaching any intruder in full threat stance and abdoman raised, by far the most rambunctious of the Aphonopelma species I have ever dealt with and if taunted they will bite!!!
Here are some pix of the mother to the slings you all got, she is right at 4" and had 175 babies in this years egg sac, a fresh male that just matured a week ago, and an example of how I keep them, Hope that helps a little, C/B individuals of the species are verry uncommon, and I have yet to see a C/B adult. Enjoy and PEACE B.

Aphonopelma behlei-adult female
View attachment 64212
View attachment 64213

adult male
View attachment 64214
View attachment 64215

sample set up
View attachment 64216

Last edited:

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hey guys, I use a small water dish, a hide, and maybe something to climb on , in the wild they live only over 7000 ft and build their open pit burrows under 2-3' or larger semi flat rocks they usualy breed in mid to late sept.-Oct. when nighttime temps are sometimes only 10-20 degrees and the sacs start being laid in late may and jun of the following year. they are pretty good eaters and after the 1st inch their growth rate is reasonable, males mature at around 3-4" and 6" would be huge for a female, they are a stalky spider and fearless, not thinking twice about directly aproaching any intruder in full threat stance and abdoman raised, by far the most rambunctious of the Aphonopelma species I have ever dealt with and if taunted they will bite!!!
Here are some pix of the mother to the slings you all got, she is right at 4" and had 175 babies in this years egg sac, a fresh male that just matured a week ago, and an example of how I keep them, Hope that helps a little, C/B individuals of the species are verry uncommon, and I have yet to see a C/B adult. Enjoy and PEACE B.

Aphonopelma behlei-adult female
View attachment 64212
View attachment 64213

adult male
View attachment 64214
View attachment 64215

sample set up
View attachment 64216
very beautiful t! and another to ad to the neverending list{D